24 hours in the Sound of Jura

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:27 am

We decided to leave Glasgow at 1pm on Saturday for a short paddle between Carsaig Bay and Tayvallich. Here is a taster

(Note from Sea Ed 14/1/2006 - all the original links given in the original post fail as they linked to an older version of the Forum - - I've edited Douglas' post and removed them - the pics can be found on Douglas' site here - Mike)

andy

Twighlight over the Paps of Jura

Post by andy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:30 pm

Just to say what a fantastic shot, it should act as yet more inspiration for us to get out there. Can I be rude and ask how you got your digital to get this shot? I saw a very similar twilight over Rum from near Arisaig on Saturday but my new Olympus digital pics all came out too dark with only a tiny bit of light in the sky. I dont know how to post pics to this board (and people wouldn't want to see them anyway) but I am sure you can guess the effect that I got!
Thanks again for sharing these photos Douglas.
Cheers
Andy.

Steve B

Re: 24 hours in the Sound of Jura

Post by Steve B » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:02 pm

"For the technically interested, all photos were taken with a camera."

As one of the people who drove you to say that -- I totally agree with all the unwritten sentiments behind it ;-)

Steve B.

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:34 pm

Wow more inspiration and places to paddle. We have been avoiding places with strong tides till we get more experience but I can see I am going to have to get to grips with tide tables.

Great photos are a great way to discover good places to paddle. Sometimes just looking at maps can lead to disappointment.

Alec

Jim

Re: 24 hours in the Sound of Jura

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:23 pm

"For the technically interested, all photos were taken with a camera."

As another of the people who drove you to write that, I wonder if you have any examples of 'photos' you've taken without a camera? Do they come out as well?

JIM

PS: examples might be: sketches, paintings, rubbings or postcards hence the '' :-)

Douglas Wilcox

photos with a camera

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Sorry guys, I was only doing some winding up, after all I have been a major recent contributor to photo techy debates!

Andy> Can I be rude and ask how you got your digital to get this shot?
www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene..._64soj.jpg

I use a pretty simple point and shoot Sony DSC P1 digital.

As it was nearly dark I used it on twilight plus mode which equates to an aperature of f2.8, 100 ASA and the shutter speed was about 2 secs. Until recently I having been using a lump of plasticene and the self timer to get night shots. I actually bought a camera magazine this month, once I had thrown the wrapper and the magazine away I found a nice little "free" mini tripod with flexible legs, easily strong enough for a compact camera.

Douglas

Douglas Wilcox

More on ASA

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:52 pm

In contrast to the dusk shot:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene..._64soj.jpg

when twighlight plus mode forced a relatively low "film" speed of ASA 100 and a long exposure;

there seemed to be enough light for the hand held shot:

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...76asoj.jpg

in full auto mode, (I lay down and had both elbows on the rocks and both pics have the same resolution of dots per inch.)

In low light in full auto mode the equivalent ASA is 300. Note the increase in digital noise particularly in the distant hills to the left. I should have used twighlight plus mode again with the tripod. (Both pics have the same resolution of dots per inch.)

The moral seems to be to get to know your automatic point and shoot camera; there is still a considerable amount of control possible.

Douglas

PS I hope my return to techie form keeps Steve and Jim happy! :)

Steve B

Re: More on ASA

Post by Steve B » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:50 pm

I feel much better now, thanks Douglas ;-)

Steve B.

andy

More on ASA

Post by andy » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:28 pm

I must say this has been very useful comparisin of the dawn and dusk shots even the techie bits! I begin to see why my new camera has "let me down" so I will go home and read the manual again! Can I also ask how you know what setting your photo was taken at? Does your camera show the settings, my olympus definitly does not.
Thanks again,
Andy.

Douglas Wilcox

More on ASA

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:22 pm

Andy what you need is software to read the EXIF tag on the original image files generated by the camera. Recent versions of photoshop with the file browser can do this but there are also a large number of free programs to do this. Try Michal Kowalski's:

home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html

data includes f stop, ASA, shutter speed, focal length, did the flash fire?, exposure mode etc etc.

Douglas :)

andy

More on ASA

Post by andy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:33 am

What an excellent program! I have now taken a lot shots using different modes and am now analysing the EXIF data! From a photographic numpty to a knowlegable numpty in 1 night. And the Japanglish manual did not even mention EXIF!!!
Andy