Brittany^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
magic knees

Brittany^

Post by magic knees » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:15 pm

I paddle Hurley regularly and don't have a beard or a sea kayak- am I allowed on here?

Seriously, I keep it pretty quiet, but over the last few years, I've discovered the joys of sea kayaking. A splendid branch of the sport- the magazine articles never really do it justice. It isn't something you talk about on TWP or in the eddy queue at Hurley. OK, maybe not usually, but sometimes, in proper sea kayaks, but we paddle several miles of coast and we're in kayaks and in the sea, so sea kayaking it is. We'll buty the real thing when we work out whre to store them.

If all the information and photos on the Scilly Isles now here were readily available I'm sure I could've sold Julia the idea of joining Mark and Heather. Very good-I'm sure it'll help and encourage others to go there. It's now on our wish list.

We've just returned from a 10 day sea kayaking trip to Brittany (not using proper sea kayaks, but for 5-6 mile day trips close to the coast, fine).

Excellent trip and just the right time to go- early season when the French are still at work and the wildlife and flora/ fauna are at their best.

Particlarly suitable for Partners (wives, husbands) who want the option of easier paddling mixed with all that French stuff, you know cafes, chateaux, farmhouse B&Bs etc. Plenty of options if you get a nightmare week of wet windy weather.

We covered the 'greatest hits' this year- Cotes Granite Rose and Des Ajoncs and Cap Frehel on the north coast; Quiberon and islands to the south. Next time we'll tour Finistere.

This doesn't make me an expert on the area but if anyone out there wants to know more, let me know.

Chris

chris_wheeler@cluttons.com

chris

Brittany

Post by chris » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:38 pm

Did you get any hassle from the French authorities? They have draconian rules about not going more than 300m from the beach without a proper sea kayak. If you want go more than 2 miles from a landing, in some areas you need even more kit, in other areas its just not permitted. But if you were just paddling plastics and they either didn't spot you or didn't query, that would be useful to know.

thamesweir

Re: Brittany

Post by thamesweir » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:47 pm

I was never here, ok?
James Farquharson james@thamesweirproject.co.uk

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:17 pm

Outed!

-----------Mark Rainsley

magic knees

Brittany

Post by magic knees » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:50 pm

Really? No, we had no problems. Mind you, aside from a one mile crossing to Ile de Brehat, we stayed close to the coast anyway. Because I paddle Hurley too much I can't go in a straight line for very long...

Chris W.

Alan M

Brittany

Post by Alan M » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:47 pm

Went to Brittany a couple of summers ago (by mistake - but that's another story!). I took my play boat & found some great surf on the far west coast near Quimper (Kam pear). The main spot was Pointe de la Torche, however this was at the southern end of a 10km(?) long sandy beach & I paddled about 1km up from P de la T. The kids took their body boards & there were probably the most efficient Life guards on duty that I have ever seen! P de la T is in the wave riders guide & is recommended for those on the family holiday who are allowed to escape for a few hours in the morning or evenings.

Enjoi

Alan

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:36 pm

" Did you get any hassle from the French authorities? They have draconian rules about not going more than 300m from the beach without a proper sea kayak. If you want go more than 2 miles from a landing, in some areas you need even more kit, in other areas its just not permitted. "

Someone once said about France that it is a land full of beaurocracy and countless stupid little rules, which in a typically French way no-one ever actually bothers about, particularly those who are supposed to enforce them.

I don't remember who it was, or the exact wording.

JIM

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:34 pm

These fine folk were out there at the same time as Chris W -

www.southbourne-canoe-club.org.uk/france2003

-----------Mark Rainsley

magic knees

Brittany

Post by magic knees » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:18 pm

Splendid coincidence- the same day Dave Evans and Southbourne were circumnavigating Ile de Houat in kayaks, we were doing the same thing, on foot. Strangely, I don't remember seeing a kayaking group....

Chris W.

magic knees

Brittany

Post by magic knees » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:21 pm

Doh! Wrong island! Hoedic and Houat, both begin with H and are only 5-6 miles apart. Easy mistake. Good job I don't lead sea kayaking trips. Still, we were in and around Quiberon at much the same time, after we'd paddled various bits of the north coast.

Chris W.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:04 pm

Mrs R and myself are off on Friday to Britanny (Brittany??) for two weeks with sea kayaks. From a glance at the map and talking to various folk, we vaguely hope to paddle in the Quiberon/ Belle Isle/ Gulf de Morbihan area, also maybe the Cote du Granite Rose and possibly a trip to the Ile Chausey.

Any comments/ suggestions from those who have been before?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Not dead yet

Post by Mark R » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:56 pm

Just returned from a great trip....Heather and I did a few trips around the Gulf of Morbihan, then loaded up the boats for eight days. We made a night crossing to the Ile d'Houat, arriving at dawn to camp on the best beach ever. We spent the days taking in the island of Hoedic and the fantastic Belle Ille en Mer ('Beautiful Island in the Sea' - aptly named) before crossing back to the mainland at Quiberon.

Lovely area; ludicrously hot for sea paddling but really very nice indeed.

Now...off to Costa Rica to remember what rivers look like!
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK