Arran, Isle of

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
sub5rider

Arran, Isle of

Post by sub5rider » Wed May 21, 2003 8:53 pm

Thinking of going to Arran for a week from this weekend, for some biking, boating & birding.

I'm looking for some tidal stream info if anyone's got any ?

Jim?
Mike B?

It's too short notice to cadge pilots off my tame yottie.....

Will I be safe wivvout a GPS ?
(Will I be safe WITH a GPS!)
The latter being purely rhetorical...

Cheers 'n' Beers

Nigel
Edited by: sub5rider at: 5/21/03 8:54:52 pm

Jim

Re: Arran, Isle of

Post by Jim » Wed May 21, 2003 10:00 pm

Only have the North end on a chart. Can't locate diamonds D and E but the streams they represent are weak. The strongest marked is B which is in Hunterston channel which is nowhere near Arran (Between the Little Cumbrae and Hunterston) and it is only 1.5 kn max.

From around 55o 37' N 5o 24.5' W to 55o 38'N 5o 26' W (opposite corners of a square) on the NE side of Arran - near Whitefarland point, there are 2 banks, Whitefarland bank and Erins bank and there are overfalls marked over the whole of that region - looks like there might be a clear passage close to the island, who am I to say.

Of trivial interest:
Between S sannox and Corloch on the NE side of the island you will find 3 pairs of pylons that work like transits. 1 of each pair will be near the shore, the other a little way up the hill behind. These are the arran measured mile course used to find out how fast ships go. You simply start your stopwatch as you get the first set in line, take a lapse time as the second pair get in line and then stop when the third pair are in line (there are instructions somewhere for how far from the shore ships should be, I think this is for channel depth and keeping the pylons visible). Then all you need to know is the distance between them (the southern mile is 1851.4m and the northern mile is 1854.4m) and you can work out your speed - who needs a GPS? Oh yeah, if there is a ship using the course stay well clear, they take at least another mile straight run up (prefer to have 3) and will turn gradually over a couple of miles (in a dumbell shaped course) to avoid losing speed in the turn. I guess the clue would be if the lights on the pylons are on, I'm not sure how visible they are otherwise. I've never used the arran mile, I have used the single mile unlit course at Skelmorlie, it's fun, one of the posts is hidden in the trees and hasn't been painted for years....
Did I mention you have to paddle the perpendicular course, looks like 320 degrees grid and mag appears to be 7o 40' W in 1992, no idea what the annual reduction is, not sure we bother about that on trials... the pilot probably does it when I'm not looking!

Have fun!

JIM

MikeB

Arran Sweaters

Post by MikeB » Wed May 21, 2003 10:18 pm

Sorry - cannae help with a pilot but Duncan Yacht Chandlers in Glasgow would no doubt be able to supply on your way thro - - - - -

Some friends not renowned for being excssivly concerned about tides/charts/pilots and the like went over and around a few years back so it must be okish.

Oh - sorry - the sweaters come from elsewhere.

I'd have thought a GPS was essestial - you could borrow Jims new one?? On the other hand, paddle out of Largs - stop when you hit a big island - turn left/right as appropriate and continue.

Now VHF, on the other hand, IS essential.

Mike.

Jim

Re: Arran Sweaters

Post by Jim » Thu May 22, 2003 8:15 am

"On the other hand, paddle out of Largs - stop when you hit a big island"

Or as I'm sure Nigel has already planned, catch the ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick (so he can take the other toys he mentioned, the biking looks wonderful!) and then get on and keep the island to the same side until you get back to Brodick., if the tide streams are as slack as they seem to be (I found D, it's a mile or so off Arran, but even the chart doesnt give rates, it just says "never more than 1/4 knot" in braces for the whole column) I can't see navigation being a challenge, Arran is big and pointy enough to keep in sight even with a bit of mist.

If this rain keeps up you'll find a couple of guides to whitewater rivers (burns?) on the website, I've never got round to trying them so I'd be interested to hear how they go :-)

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

Arran tides

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu May 22, 2003 8:28 am

Tides are nothing to worry about, weather forecast for Saturday is force 5 NW. Calmac do a perfectly good ferry, then you do not need to worry about the windage of your bike on the foredeck.

If you have not been before you will return many times, great hills!

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...sannox.htm

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...n_rosa.htm

As far as GPS is concerned, Arran is a pretty big target....

There is a well known old guy who paddles off the ballast bank in Troon right through the year. He has an ancient old poly canoe and as far as safety gear is concerned, doesn't even have a lifejacket. Navigational equipment consists of his eyes; no map or compass. He goes over four or five times a year, usually from West Kilbride to Corrie or Sannox which is about 10.5 miles.

Have a good visit.

Douglas

sub5rider

Re: Arran tides

Post by sub5rider » Thu May 22, 2003 11:08 am

Thank-you one and all, I'm convinced!

A bike, boat & boots holiday.

Just gotta scrape up the £145 that I have to give CalMac to get my caravan there and back....

Having perused Douglas's excellent photo's I can't wait to get on the ridges - and some of the singletrack looks tasty too....

Cheers 'n' Beers
Nigel
Edited by: sub5rider at: 5/22/03 11:44:42 am

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu May 22, 2003 12:27 pm

"Just gotta scrape up the £145 that I have to give CalMac to get my caravan there and back...."

Ouch! B&B must be cheaper if you are able to find spaces this close to the BH weekend?

We are of course landing in the states in time for memorial day weekend with no accomodation booked, here's hoping we can find a campsite with a free pitch!

JIM

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Thu May 22, 2003 1:10 pm

"Ouch! B&B must be cheaper..."

Possibly, but no-where near as convenient.

A tin-tent allows me to do what I want when I want, have meals & BBQs when it suits, and comfortably sit 'n' read all day when it's pissing down.....

Nigel

Chris B

Arran Tides

Post by Chris B » Thu May 22, 2003 10:39 pm

Tidal atlas for Firth of Clyde & Approaches shows stream going NNW (ie from the Mull to Bute) from 5 hour before HW Dover until 1 hour before, and the other way the rest of the time, but it doesn't get above 0.2kts neaps, 0.4knts springs. Have a good weekend.

sub5rider

Re: Arran Tides

Post by sub5rider » Fri May 23, 2003 9:22 am

"0.2kts neaps, 0.4knts springs"

I can cope with that!

Thanks Chris
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer

fraser of wessex

Post by fraser of wessex » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

Different Aran the wooly ones....

Canoe-Cowal

Post by Canoe-Cowal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

fraser of wessex wrote:Different Aran the wooly ones....
West cost of Ireland willbe a wee bit blowy and will make you a wee bit wooly next week.

Big waves to be had.

Which Aran is Aran North or South?

j