Scilly business

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Scilly business

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:02 am

We're considering a sea paddling trip to the Scillies at Whitsun. Any info or comments welcome....who has been there?

In order to do this, I have to be talked down from a week of steep creeking in Italy. Make your comments persuasive....

-----------Mark Rainsley

Craig Addison

Re: Scilly business

Post by Craig Addison » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:50 am

Not been there myself Mark, but I know John & Sue Sutton have been a few times, I'm sure they'd spin you a yarn or two! email john&sue_sutton@bcuinternet.com

Craig.

Graham Dore

Scilly business

Post by Graham Dore » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:24 pm

Mark,
Not sure if you are thinking of paddling there or taking boats on the ferry.

I paddled there and back a few years ago spending a middle day exploring the islands fairly thoroughly. I would rate this as the best of all of the 'crossing' type trips I have done (probably made sweeter by the whole summer season we went through without getting suitable weather on a w.e. when my partner and I were both free).

Anna and I have also taken our folding double down there a couple of times for long weekends which have also been great. The times I have been I have camped on the official sites on St Martins (nice island with pub) and St Agnes (nice island with good pub) - you are not supposed to camp wild on the smaller islands, although people do. There are also some (not many) islands which you are not supposed to land on at certain times of the year. The islands are really nice with some smaller ones that the majority of people can't get to. There are quite a few 'antiquities' if you are into that kind of thing. Also, there are lots of seals on the western rocks.

I believe taking kayaks on the ferry can be quite expensive (they have to be individually lifted onto the ferry with a crane). I have heard that if you strap boats together the cost is reduced as they can be lifted on as one item.

I can probably give you quite a bit more information if you wish - it would be better to answer some specific questions though.
Graham.

Mark R

Re: Scilly business

Post by Mark R » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:24 pm

Great Graham, you've converted us both. But not, it must be added, to the notion of crossing to/ from the islands.

Sounds like exactly what we want....pub/ restaurant culture by evening, out-and-back paddles by day.

Care to elaborate on the ferry, anybody? Is it so small that a fair number of sea kayaks may be a problem?

-----------Mark Rainsley

Snooky

Scilly Isles

Post by Snooky » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:22 am

Mark,
Have a chat to Simon Westgarth, his Step-Father, Gordon has paddled there a lot. I think they hire some boats from someone at St Martins. But he will be able to give you the details. You can also contact Gordon on the contact number given for Gene17, coz that is Si's Mums and Gordons house.
Cheers for now
Snooky

Richard Uren

Scilly Isles

Post by Richard Uren » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:03 pm

Mark
The islands are a paddlers paradise.The ferry is run by the IoS Steamship Co LTD-pricey for what it is,monopoly route!St. Martins campsite is an excellent base but needs booking early.For some pics try our site at http://www.pzcc.net

Mark R

Re: Scilly Isles

Post by Mark R » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:38 pm

Thanks Richard.

However I've just been put off ever going near Cornwall again, I just watched 'Straw Dogs' on DVD.

It makes 'Deliverance' look like a promotional film on the joys of paddling, and 'The Wicker Man' look like an advert for Hebridean holidays.

-----------Mark Rainsley

David P

Re: Straw Dogs

Post by David P » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:01 pm

Gosh - I haven't seen that since 1974 or thereabouts! Our college film club had some damn' good stuff - Rosemary's Baby and Don't Look Now are two more that I first saw then. All solidly "adult only" and all prone, as a young and impressionable student, to leave a deep impression! [Filmed in St Buryan if I recall correctly - we used to stay there every Easter for a Uni Sub Aqua Club week's diving trip ...] Must get hold of a copy - I saw it had finally been released. The packaging was unclear as to whether or how much it ad been cut.

David P.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:52 pm

Not cut. Much as I was impressed by it, the words 'salacious' and 'mysogynistic' sprung to mind. Pop over some time and watch it.

I have a very high regard for 'Don't Look Now', bloody scary...that's on my DVD wish list.

-----------Mark Rainsley

David P

Post by David P » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:00 pm

I have this horrible feeling "cut" isn't perhaps the best word where films such as that are concerned - though equally, I have this memory of guns - smoking guns - and Dustin Hoffman comenting that he "got 'em all ..."!

Could lead to an interesting debate about films and what's truly shocking and what effect it has, for the good or the bad, on whom - though not here I guess! :)

David P.

Mark R

PZCC

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:40 pm

Now had a chance to look at Penzance CC's website...fantastic, lovely pictures and useful info.

www.pzcc.net

Cheers,

-----------Mark Rainsley
Edited by: guidebook at: 1/12/03 9:42:40 pm

Mark R

Re: PZCC

Post by Mark R » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:40 pm

Anybody else keen to meet up in the Scilly Islands last week of May? We have a pitifully small group at present. More paddlers would allow flexibility in trips and enable us to broaden our currently limited social skills.

We have no epic plans...mild island hopping and eating out. None of that camp stove nonsense.

Mail me (mark@ukriversguidebook.co.uk) or post here.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Chas C

Re: Scilly idea

Post by Chas C » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:16 pm

If you want to brush up on your social skill you could always come along to France, might even be two old croc's there in May.

Chas

nicklishman

scilly

Post by nicklishman » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:30 pm

I live on Scilly and would definitely recommend it as an excellent place for kayaking. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about paddling over here or to recommend pubs etc.

cheers

Nick