Waterproof cameras

Inland paddling
Dave T

Waterproof cameras

Post by Dave T » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:23 pm

Im thinking about getting a waterproof camera for quick snap shots on the river to save faff getting the SLR out and trying to keep it dry.
Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get a Pentax W30 is? I've had a quick google and they seem to be £160-£180
Also if anyone has any information on the Pentax camera or alternatives that would be appreciated.
Cheers.

cookie

Post by cookie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:29 pm

I bought mine from Hong kong when they first come about for £144 delivered. My friend has just got one from the uk for £129 not sure were I will find out.
Lee
The lights are on and burning brightly. Shame about the power cut.

gonzo

Post by gonzo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Girlfriend has an Olympus Mju 770 SW which is amazing and 10 times better than the pentax!

Shock, dirt and water proof

Took it diving in Egypt down to 10m and got some cracking photos!

Don't think they make this model any more but I'm sure the next model will be just as good!

cookie

Post by cookie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:51 pm

I tend to video alot more that photo and looked at the olypus which was great but fell down on video. I think it was only 18fps as opposed to 32fps of the pentax. Got to say the video is great considering its not a dedicated video camera. Either camera great though.
Lee
The lights are on and burning brightly. Shame about the power cut.

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:26 am

Glad someone has asked this question as i need to buy a waterproof camera before heading off to the States next month. I've used the Pentax before and found it really easy to use but had problems with it misting up,so was wondering if the Olympus was better.

The other one i've seen & no nothing about is the Sealife (which i think also has the advantage of using AA batteries) but i can't tell from photo's how large it is.

If i'm not mistaken i'm certain there's been a recent thread on this subject. Anyone remember it ?
Born to paddle................forced to work.

Phil_Holmes

Post by Phil_Holmes » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 am

I got the Pentax W30 to replace my old Pentax WP and am very impressed with the pictures i have been getting.

I got mine for Ebuyer they are currently £123 inc vat, but the only ones they have in seem to be in pink...

Good price though

I also managed to buy 2 spare batteries (with twice the mah's of the standard battery) and a charger for £6 delivered off ebay

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:29 am

I have the Olympus Mju 770 SW, and a friends has the new Olympus Mju 790 SW, both are OK and take nice images for a compact camera. In conditions with poor light, ie. UK winter paddling, the resulting images are poor. I have also brought a non waterproof digital camera with a much wider lense, to get better shots.

HAM

Post by HAM » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 am

Wasting all that hard earned money on ebay are we?

I got my pentax w30 from Hong Kong as well.

You can have a look at it when i see you on monday if you want.

Hugo

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:46 am

I have the Olympus Mju 790 SW

Incredible camera, Can not recommend it enough
Dartmoor / Plymouth based
www.rosswildman.co.uk

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 am

Anyone wnat to show any pictures form the Olympus w770/790 to see the quality.

I'm after a none faff camera for paddling also!

jimkennedy

Post by jimkennedy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 am

Mike M wrote:... I need to buy a waterproof camera before heading off to the States next month...
With the dollar at the weakest it's ever been, surely you should wait until you get there?

Jim.

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 am

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote:Anyone wnat to show any pictures form the Olympus w770/790 to see the quality.

I'm after a none faff camera for paddling also!
These are from the 790 I've only recently just got one, hence alot of stupid shots :)

http://www.rosswildman.info/pics/ukrgb/P1160704.JPG
http://www.rosswildman.info/pics/ukrgb/P2060951.JPG
http://www.rosswildman.info/pics/ukrgb/P2202257.JPG
http://www.rosswildman.info/pics/ukrgb/P1160727.JPG

As links as they are rather large

The bust mode on the camera is also very good
www.rosswildman.co.uk

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 am

I have the 790, and think it's a cracking little camera for the price.

Interesting side note - The 770 is actually a better spec'ed camera than the 790 in almost every respect, but it is also quite a bit more expensive (looks better too).
Paul (Un)Stabler

boosh

Post by boosh » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Ive had the pentax W30 since the early spring and have enjoyed it.

It is a robust little camera and it can take some really nice shots if the light is good enough.

It seems from reading reviews that the light factor is the major issue with these small compact cameras.

The camera lens can mist up but what I tend to do after taking it out of my BA is give it a quick dunk in the river.

The video is 30FPS at 640X480 and is quite good. Obviously it will not look DVD quality on a big TV but it is way good enough for sticking on the internet or making little DVDs for family/friends.

Software I got with it was pretty crap to be honest but I use photshop for the images and Premier Pro for the video.

I think I got mine for about £160 from Amazon last spring but I remember there were a lot of places offering the camera at the same price.

The camera is also SDHC compatable also so you can have SD cards up to 8GB.

I use a Sandisk 2GB Ultra II and the write speeds are good.

But unless you are a fantastic photographer your pictures with a compact will not stand up to the shots you would get with a mid level SLR.

Hope this helps

Pete

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:35 pm

All my Youtube videos were shot using a Olympus 790 mju. Have a look to see what you think. Just remember these have been through youtubes' compression process. The originals are definatley crisper and better.

canoeboy101

Post by canoeboy101 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:10 pm

i was thinking of getting the olympus camera, can anyone tell me -

1. Does it have a limit on the size of video you can take or is that only limited by th memory card?

2. When you stick the video on your computer can i edit it on windows moviemaker? A friend had the pentax camera and i cant open the videos taken from it in moviemaker so can not edit them into a film.

ta

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:26 pm

canoeboy101 wrote:I was thinking of getting the olympus camera, can anyone tell me -

1. Does it have a limit on the size of video you can take or is that only limited by th memory card?

2. When you stick the video on your computer can I edit it on windows moviemaker? A friend had the pentax camera and I cant open the videos taken from it in moviemaker so can not edit them into a film.

ta
Limited to the card.

And yes, you can simple drag them on to movie maker, All movie files on the 790 are in .avi format
www.rosswildman.co.uk

The Chuckster

Post by The Chuckster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:34 pm

For the Olymus one I found a good review on Amazon. It mostly came out well, although it was commented that it isn't good in poor light and you could only take 10 sec videos in the highest resolution.

I have previously had a Pentex W10 which has just been replaced because the LCD screen broke too easily. Otherwise a great camera. I have just got the W30 as a replacement, pretty much the same except, better flaps to cover the battery/USB sockets( the Olympus only has rubber bungs), and more mega pixels. Still got a fragile LCD screen, I will just have to be more careful

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:11 pm

The Chuckster wrote:could only take 10 sec videos in the highest resolution.
I never knew this, Just tryed and your correct... only 10 seconds in SHQ
mode, hover ever you can record continuous in HQ mode
www.rosswildman.co.uk

canoeboy101

Post by canoeboy101 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:03 pm

Is it still hafl decent quality in Hq mode?

JOHNF

Post by JOHNF » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:04 pm

You could wait till April 4th when the new Olumpus 1030 SW comes out.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29_18625.htm

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

JOHNF wrote:You could wait till April 4th when the new Olumpus 1030 SW comes out.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29_18625.htm
At a shocking cheap price!

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... um+Silver)
www.rosswildman.co.uk

sandy m

Post by sandy m » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Hey man the pentax is great I use it and its lasted a while and ask your mike about it hes got it. I am headed up to fort bill on the 8th march if you fanci a boat?

JOHNF

Post by JOHNF » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:40 pm

The Olympus has a built in mike - don't think the Pentax has

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:51 pm

The question is, which has least shutter lag? Can anyone compare for me please? (remembering I am a smug slr'r!)

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:30 pm

See my whezzit thread. Pictures taken today with my 790sw. Shutter lag is not to bad the bottom photo was meant to be me going down the drop but insted it snapped quickly and got me before I went down it. Wht it does have is a fairly slow time before you can take the next shot.

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:17 pm

I have the Pentax W30 and I am pretty impressed.

As Tom mentioned it, the only thing I really dislike is the shutter lag. I do quite a lot of SLR photography and after that, the Pentax is shockingly bad. You almost have to predict when you want to take photos. I cant comment on the muji though.

The reason I chose the Pentax over the Olympus was that I wanted to take a fair bit of video wtih it and the Olympus can only support 10seconds at full resolution (640*480), whereas the Pentax can shoot as much as the SD card can take at 640*480.

This video was taken entirely on the Pentax at the weekend, but is of course subject to youtube compression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKMcc48oqY

Another slightly less compressed video (still compressed, but not as bad as youtube) can be found on my website (click the "High quality" button):

http://www.chrisps.com/beta/index.php?page=videos

Another nice thing about the pentax (not sure if the muji can do it) is that you can optical zoom in and out while recording). Also, in response to someone else's post, the Pentax does have a mic... not bril, but perfectly usable.

I have never had any fogging problems with the lens on my pentax.

Overall, the Pentax is no where near the best compact camera out, but for the purposes of paddling and at the price, its pretty darned good really.

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Answer to your zooming question is a no, Just sat and tried it
www.rosswildman.co.uk

mitch

Post by mitch » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:01 pm

wildross wrote:I have the Olympus Mju 790 SW

Incredible camera, Can not recommend it enough
Great camera, just don't put it in your back pocket. The Usb hatch opened on mine and snapped off. Trying to look into Olympus repairs at the moment, but it seems to be a long process as their affilated camera shops won't be able to reseal the case.

canoeboy101

Post by canoeboy101 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:47 am

merlin

That video you have of all the people jumping off stuff on youttube - is that shot in the hightest quality on the camera?