Baidarka Explorer^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Baidarka Explorer^

Post by Mark R » Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:00 pm

I'm considering buying one secondhand.

Any comments on this boat?

Anything appreciated.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Craig Addison

Re: Baidarka Explorer

Post by Craig Addison » Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:51 am

It's quite a fast boat, about 17 foot long, is a bit easier to turn than your old icefloe & has distinctive upswept ends.

It's what Olive was paddling in Orkney, if you can remember that far back.

If it's the boat I think it is, it should be in pretty good condition as it hasn't had a lot of use in the past few years, in fact until it was sold last year it wasn't used for many years.
Craig. http://www.bcu.org.uk/sea

Mike Buckley

BE

Post by Mike Buckley » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:14 am

Not as nice as a Jubilee - - - - -

Next time you are travelling to Scotland, let me know and you can have a look!

Mike.

Mark R

Happy chappy

Post by Mark R » Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:50 pm

I bought the Baidarka...won't have time to paddle this weekend, but can't wait to give it a try. Just need to get some sea paddles now.

Looks nice, can't wait to recontinue my trek around the UK coast...

-----------Mark Rainsley

Craig Addison

Re: Happy chappy

Post by Craig Addison » Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:04 pm

I'm not sure if you should be allowed to re-join us sea paddlers without an application Mark!

Steve still has your old Nordkapp paddles (saw them today),
not sure if you could persuade him to sell them back to you though, I did put in a word for you so it may work.

Craig.

Craig. http://www.bcu.org.uk/sea

Mark R

Re: Happy chappy

Post by Mark R » Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:28 pm

Took my new toy for a short spin around Swanage Bay today, whilst Mrs R did some shopping. I had been warned not to disappear from sight....however the boat seemed to have a momentum all of it's own and shot off past Peveril Point (against the tide race flow) all the way around Durlston Head. Having established that the dolphins there weren't coming out to play today, it sulkily turned around and headed back. Mrs R was waiting with a car full of fast thawing food....she didn't accept my 'it was the boat's fault' explanation, for some reason.

The boat...it's fast (which I like), not too stable unloaded with short paddles, surfs well, turns slower than the QEII. I was tempted to try rolling it, but the water is too cold and I'm too soft. Tried the skeg up and down, coouldn't really see any difference other than the annoying tapping noise when it's down.

Darned fine boat, either way.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Mike Buckley

Happy Chappy and his skeg

Post by Mike Buckley » Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:37 pm

Try paddling with the wind on the beam and playing with the skeg until you get the boat tracking straight.

Probably won't need the skeg all the way down.

Mike.

Mike Buckley

Skegs again.

Post by Mike Buckley » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:28 pm

Not that I'm bored at all today, but this makes interesting reading www.watertribe.com/Magazi...Caffyn.asp as indeed does this users.academy.net.au/~pca...rstab.html

Makes me wonder whether my soon-to-ordered whatever-I-get should have a rudder fitted!

Mike Buckley

Skegs, yet again

Post by Mike Buckley » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:56 pm

- - - - and I promise I'll stop now, but this one is quite a good explanation of how it works etc etc

www.pdcc.club.org.uk/june.htm#ske

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:07 pm

I don't remember Mark buying this though I do remember him selling it. Since then he's had a Shoreham Sea kayaks boat and effectively killed that. He's now got a P&H Cetus that recently looked very shiney but now looks like it's had Rainsley living out of it for 2 months. It's time for some confessions...........who has his old boats and are they worth anything other than a museum place?
Perhaps the greatest flaw in democracy is the idea that, if a majority of the population believes arrant nonsense, it somehow makes the nonsense true.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

Jimski89

Post by Jimski89 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:27 am

My sea kayaking life started in a Baidarka too. I out grew that, bought another, wore that one out, bought a Sirius, now that one is nearly broken too.

I guess I go through sea kayaks at a similar rate as some folk get through cars. Bumps, scrapes, plenty of dodgy parking (landings) all take their toll. There is only so much one can do with gaffa tape and repair kits. My girlfriend is a veterinary surgeon, which brings me to understand and accept the fact that my trusty (leaky) 17ft crumbling composite kayak may have seen the best of its days at sea.

Perhaps next time I go to see Mike Webb he will provide my boat with its last rites, rather than a new keel strip and a couple of patches.

All sad stuff! but boats are there to be used, possibly abused too. As long as we gain pleasure through the adventures in which we indulge, who cares?

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:17 pm

I have an old boat, I don't know how old and I don't use it as much as Mark uses his but I find it quite adequate.

I think the value of old boats comes not from the resale but from the fact that these things will not decompose in our lifetimes, if ever (polythene or composite) and therefore we have bestowed ourselves with an environmental responsibility to keep them in operation for as long as is possible. Fortunately there is a growing market of beginners in need of cheap starter boats so it is possible to pass the old ones on rather than trashing them, so by keeping the second hand value of old boats down it encourages people to keep recycling them through new hands, which is good for the sport and good for the environment.

I'm sure as sea kayakers we have all seen the effects of the plastic revolution on the oceans from the evidence that is washed up along our coastline. Hopefully this will encourage us to be more responsible with plastics. Did anyone else notice that OP came in non-bio-degradable packaging this month?

Jim

steamstevec

Post by steamstevec » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:50 pm

runswick2000 wrote: It's time for some confessions...........who has his old boats and are they worth anything other than a museum place?
My favourite boat is an Ottersports Sea Otter (plywood kit) that I got for my 13th birthday in 1971. Still as good as new apart from the repair where dad cracked it on a fence pole. Still use the origional spray skirt as well.

Combined age of boat and paddler is 85.

Steve
What do you mean life is short ?
It's the longest thing your going to do.

RichLeary

Post by RichLeary » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:31 am

Hi,

I am currently paddling a Scorpio and I've seen a second hand Baidarka (I think they look really cool, not sure thats a reason to buy a boat??) however would they be good choice as second boat for fast fitness training?

Also I weight about 100kg in all my paddling kit would it still need to ballast it, or am I fat enough.....

I am hoping to go and have a look at it and maybe give it a try this week however I would welcome some knowledgeable opinions?

Best,

Richard.

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:54 am

After a Scorpio you may find the Baidarka interesting. The Baidarka is a expedition boat, loads of space for kit and food. They handle much better when loaded, the hull is very V shaped when empty they ride quite high so the chines hardly touch the water. They aren't that fast and not very manoeuvrable, you'll also find that ocean cockpit a pain.

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:46 pm

RichLeary wrote:Hi,

I am currently paddling a Scorpio and I've seen a second hand Baidarka (I think they look really cool, not sure thats a reason to buy a boat??) however would they be good choice as second boat for fast fitness training?

Also I weight about 100kg in all my paddling kit would it still need to ballast it, or am I fat enough.....

I am hoping to go and have a look at it and maybe give it a try this week however I would welcome some knowledgeable opinions?

Best,

Richard.
Hi,

I currently Paddle a Baidarka, the Baidarka Explorer is a litle improved on the Baidarka, it has a Skeg and the ends don't quite catch the wind so much. I wiegh about the same as you with Kit and am 6'2". I do not tend to Ballest it hugely when day paddling but I do think carefully about loading for trim. Upwind and downwind it is a great boat, with a side wind I have to correct a lot. That said at the weekend I was paddling next to a Baidarka Explorer with a Skeg fitted in a quatering wind and I was correcting a lot whilst the skegged Explorer was fine.
In terms of Tippyness, I guess it is what you get used to, it does feel a bit unstable and has a habit of trying to throw you when you don't expect it. I bought mine earlier this year on EBay for £300 and it was the first sea boat I paddled and only sea boat for a few months. I have been trying some of our club boats recently and by comparison I find things like the Nordlow super stable by comparison which a lot of people think is mega tippy. In rougher waters it is brilliant, to be honest I think the boat is only limited by my confidence.
It can be a pig to turn when stationairy but when you have got a bit of momentum its not that bad, I mess about rock garndening a fair bit and don't have any troubles.
As a training boat it might not be the best choice, something with a rudder may be more appropriate. I can't comment on how it would compare to a Scorpio as I have never been in one.
To sum up it is an awkward obnoxious pig of a boat and I love it.

Mark

The Tundra kid

Post by The Tundra kid » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:02 pm

If anyone gets this far down the thread...
In April 2014 I posted a post ?... Under the title thread of ..plagiarism and baidarkas...that was as much about Hutchinson Baidarkas and explorers as it was about true baidarkas."

Xx The Tundra Kid