Winter handwear - whats best?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Juliejules

Winter handwear - whats best?^

Post by Juliejules » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:27 am

What do you wear on hands when winter paddling - what works and what doesn't?
JJ

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:40 am

I use Kokatat Poggies which work very well for me, I tend to roll back about 75mm of the sleeve to make getting into them easier. The hands exist in a micro climate within the poggie and you keep a good feel / normal grip on the paddle. The outer surface is smooth / unlined and therefore doesn't wet out and cool by evaporation.

I am very concious however that an extended swim in very cold water would result in unusable hands in pretty short time. I have been on the lookout for some neoprene gloves for emergency use.

Cameron

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:54 am

If you have prolonged immersion in mind go for latex dry gloves with ordinary gloves underneath. If you are not planning to get wet, Suzy's Sweat Shop Forty Below pogies, which are unlined and reasonably easy to get your hands into, are good. I've found neoprene gloves not very satisfactory as they are too constrictive.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Searching for "gloves" and "pogies" will get many previous threads on this, such as
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... hp?t=30792

Personally I use dinghy sailing gloves which are thin neoprene with a thin suede or similar palm. No problems with grip. A bit difficult to find as a lot of sailing gloves have the finger tips left open.

Chris

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:03 pm

I have a pair of neoprene gloves.
Acquired them in my previous occupation and they were worn at the time by Mountain Rescue Teams so we assumed they had been highly tested and I find that although you might get them wet they work on the same principle as wet suits.
Dave

Rockpool GT

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:25 pm

What's the idea with the dry gloves, put a thin pair of fleece gloves on then these on top, then cover in chalk/talc and put through the wrist seal as normal, or are these meant to be glued to the suit permanent?!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:38 pm

I put them on after I've put the dry suit on so the seals go over the dry suit wrist seals. There is no technical reason why you couldn't fit gloves instead of wrist seals but it could be uncomfortable when it wasn't very cold.

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:00 pm

I wear a thin neoprene / suede type glove that I 'acquired' from the wife's horse riding kit. The backs are very thin neoprene and the palms are suede type stuff. They are not brilliant but work well with home made nylon pogies that I scaled to fit my own hand.

I tried diving neoprene gloves and found them useless. I think I lost heat from through evaporation.

I like the sound of the Forty Belows - reflective lining and no grip problems. I must say that when my hands are cold (often before the kayak has even reached the water) I find it very painful and I spend the next half hour cursing kayaking! Cold hands don't hold paddles well.
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:32 pm

I have an old pair of wild water pogies, there unlined nylon. Every time I use them I get blisters, and I never normally get them. Does anyone else find this?

As a result I hardly ever bother with them. While I'm paddling its bearable as long as I keep moving my fingers. But, once I stop and get out the boat I can't feel/use my fingers. I've tried neoprene wet suit gloves but found them usless. Maybe the dry gloves would work, must give them a try.

steve-m

Post by steve-m » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:59 pm

I use Crewe Saver open palm mitts for both sea and white water paddling see;
http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver/Cr ... l?catid=41
They keep my hands fairly warm allow me to keep a good controlling grip on the paddle but when I need to use my fingers for a rescue or to have something to eat I can just slip my hands out and fold the mitt part back over my wrist. Very versatile, very effective, highly recommended.
Steve-M Shropshire

capsized8

Post by capsized8 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:20 pm

steve-m wrote:I use Crewe Saver open palm mitts for both sea and white water paddling see;
http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver/Cr ... l?catid=41
They keep my hands fairly warm allow me to keep a good controlling grip on the paddle but when I need to use my fingers for a rescue or to have something to eat I can just slip my hands out and fold the mitt part back over my wrist. Very versatile, very effective, highly recommended.
Got to agree with the open mit. Palm also do one

pamf

Winter hand wear

Post by pamf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:53 pm

I've been wearing fingered cycle gloves which I've found to be quite effective. Husband wears pogies which are great, although he compares them to "clipping in" on a bike, ie you can get out of them quickly enough, but getting into them takes a bit of a knack (and sometimes involves teeth). They are nice and cosy though.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:42 pm

I try to paddle without using gloves, usually my hands will warm up eventually and only go cold when I stop. However, after a longish paddle last week the tips of my fingers have not stopped tingling. Is this chillblains?

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Lomo neoprene pogies are good.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Pogies for me - but I tend to get blisters too - probably that wet / warm microclimate!

I tried those pre-curved all neoprene gloves which are lovely and warm, but don't give me enough "feel" - the thin neoprene and suede palmed ones which still let my fingers get cold, especially if there's any decent wind, and the fingerless versions which do the same.

I do worry about the "cold hands / in the water / rescue" scenario, but whenever I've tried to deal with getting back into a boat while wearing gloves they've just been a nuisance and I couldn't get enough grip on the boat and ended up removing them.

I do hear good things about those open palmed mits though I've never tried them.

Mike.

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Robert Craig wrote:Lomo neoprene pogies are good.
Ever since I tried thick neoprene diving gloves, I thought that nylon would be a better material for pogies. Do the neoprene ones not get cold when wet?
Last edited by NeilG on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solent Kayak Pages

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:35 pm

NeilG wrote: Do the neoprene ones keep not get cold when wet?
No - they get wet, but by keeping the wind off your hands stay nice and warm - if anything, too warm sometimes. (Hence the blister risk). Even on a really cold day I'll often dip them just to get some cold water in to cool down.

I've tried nylon ones, but found them too "floppy" - neoprene ones keep their shape and that means that you can just slip your hands in easily. Mind you, if you have big hands you'll still end up using your teeth to pull the second one on!

It's certainly worth checking the sizing, and I'd suggest doing that wearing a cag as the sleeves can be a nuisance with longer pogies.

Mike.

Mctavish

Hand gear

Post by Mctavish » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:37 pm

Lomo pogies are warm!!! wet or dry.
The only trouble is that you have to use your teeth to get the second one on!

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Another vote for the Crewsaver open palm mitts.

I paddle greenland style, so poggies are out, the mitts are like poggies that follow your hands as you play the keyboard.

It is also very easy to slip your hand out to fiddle about with the spray deck or radio.

Surfing last weekend with euro-paddles I stuck with the mitts and found them excellent, even when off the hand they curve over keeping the wind off.

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:03 pm

ANy views on these Yak mitts?

I like the idea of the fleece lining.

Solent Kayak Pages

capsized8

Post by capsized8 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:16 pm

NeilG wrote:ANy views on these Yak mitts?

I like the idea of the fleece lining.
My daughter has a similar pair, she stopped using them, Soggy fibre pile gets heavy.

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Good point....

Neoprene of plain nylon it is then! Shame because it sounded like a very warm affair. I googled them and found a pair for sale on a kayak club website, maybe for the same reason.

Neoprene Yak or Suzy forty belows perhaps. Either way, my current home made pair don't fit too well with my new paddle top. The cuffs clash as I sized them for my own hands.

Solent Kayak Pages

capsized8

Post by capsized8 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:17 pm

NeilG wrote: Neoprene Yak or Suzy forty belows perhaps. Either way, my current home made pair don't fit too well with my new paddle top. The cuffs clash as I sized them for my own hands.
I would still suggest you go for neoprene open palm mitts, unlike pogies you can keep them on when not paddling

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:52 am

I guess that covers just about every available option under the sun by now ;-)

Cameron

capsized8

Post by capsized8 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:17 am

Cameron wrote:I guess that covers just about every available option under the sun by now ;-)

Cameron
However I do know somebody (a Dr) who paddles wearing Marigold rubber gloves. The last ones were red, if that helps, pink and yellow are also available, but I don't know how effective these colours are against the cold!
You are however ready to do the washing up as soon as you get home, hmm on reflection must be a brownie points thing.

Now that just about covers all the options ;0)

lg18

Post by lg18 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 am

Has anyone mentioned Sealskinz gloves yet? Nice and thin so they don't get in the way in rescues, have bobbles on the palm and fingers for good grip, warm when wet. Because I suffer from cold hands a lot, I also use pogies as well - nylon, fleece-lined. Lovely and snuggly!

Lucy

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:57 am

someone wrote
I guess that covers just about every available option under the sun by now ;-)
It just goes to show how wrong you can be.

Lucy, which glove from the (excellent) Sealskinz range do you use.

Cameron

lg18

Post by lg18 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 am

Hi Cameron,

I have the "Ultra-grip black" glove.
http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProd ... 1,0,0,1|26|
It is 100% waterproof, but I always always get wet very soon by dunking my whole hand (obviously the water gets in through the wrist opening! But it doesn't matter, cos they seem really warm when wet, especially with pogies as well. I only wear a wetsuit, but maybe with some sort of arrangement with a decent dry cag or dry suit seals, they could even remain properly dry...?

Lucy

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:28 pm

I use Yak neoprene poggies with about 40 cms cut off the wrist so that they are easy to get on - no need to use teeth! As has been mentioned they can get too warm so it is not a problem to have them short. They are fine when they are wet.
Forgot them this weekend and borrowed the full length version and they were very difficult to get on.
Developing Desire for Adventure!

waltfos

Re: Winter handwear - whats best?^

Post by waltfos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:03 am

Juliejules wrote:What do you wear on hands when winter paddling - what works and what doesn't?
JJ
Try here

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list ... WarmGloves

Walt