Tennis/paddlers elbow

Inland paddling
tfraser

Tennis/paddlers elbow

Post by tfraser »

I have a work induced elbow problem like tennis elbow.Can I paddle ever again, and does anyone have any experience of this.I have stopped the cause and I think carefull non gripping paddling techniques etc will help.Yours in hope torq
Daffers

Re: Tennis/paddlers elbow

Post by Daffers »

tfraser wrote:I have a work induced elbow problem like tennis elbow.Can I paddle ever again, and does anyone have any experience of this.I have stopped the cause and I think carefull non gripping paddling techniques etc will help.Yours in hope torq
Zero degree feather (seven-2's) might help as well.
JP Lives Forever
a boy named sue

Post by a boy named sue »

I had a work related problem with my elbow last April, it was to painful to paddle for about a month. Had to get back into paddling slowly and just stopped when it started to become painful. Also done lots of forearm stretches which seemed to help. It took about 6 months to go away fully, really you need to see a physio and they will sort you, Good luck!

I use AT2 F, these some to work really well for me as theres plenty of flex in the shaft.
Wilf

Post by Wilf »

I have both Tennis and Golfers elbow. I find paddling helps rather than making it worse.

Hope you feel better soon.

W
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk
Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

It has been discussed on here before. Try doing a search (top centre, just below the ads on this page) for Lateral Epicondylitis.

I have been advised by physios to strap up my arm when doing anything that can aggravate it. When paddling I was told to use tape as it lies flat under my wetsuit. Whichever you do, don't strap/tape it across the actual painful tendon, instead choose the widest part of your forearm. The theory being if you stop the muscle which pulls on the tendon/epicondyle tensing to it's maximum, you reduce the stress on the tendon/epicondyle.

To decide whether it's tennis or golfer's elbow, if your palm is down, the tendon on the outside top of your elbow is Tennis, but if it's the tendon joining the knobbly bone on the lower of your elbow it's Golfer's.

Be wary of the steroid injection sometimes offered by GPs. They can mask the pain, while you continue doing what you do, and make it worse! There has also been studies showing that in the long term you are worse off. Stick with the Ibuprofen for pain relief.

Oh, it can last a long, long time. I've had mine a good 16 months, so far. Just when you think you're getting better...!
GoldTopo

Post by GoldTopo »

I've had tennis elbow in both arms for years, and an operation on one elbow following tendon damage in a motorbike accident.
I have never had a problem with paddling, I find it good exercise for the elbows without putting any strain on the joints. Maybe it's just my paddling style, I don't know, but it just doesn't affect my elbows. With one exception, if I'm practicing in the pool, roll after roll after roll, I can sometimes feel it afterwards, but not to the extent that it's a problem.
If my elbow is already sore before paddling, I will sometimes wear elbow pads on whitewater to prevent any knocks.
My only advice would be to get the lightest paddle you can afford, and make sure the shaft diameter is comfy to grip. You don't want to be gripping too hard.
NPearce

Post by NPearce »

I had my first session back in the pool since the beginning of December following a bout of bursitis or 'elbollock' as it became known. Loose cartrlidge had done its thing and aggravated it, making my elbow expand to quite an impressive size. The result was loads of anti inflammatory and an 'up to 3 months' paddling ban from the doctor.

Whilst the swelling as now gone it is still quite painful and quite literally feels like gravel around the elbow, I now have a set of elbow pads for protection, even in the pool.

In my case it was deduced that the motion of paddling would more than likely aggravate it further, and whilst it would not prevent me from paddling would not help the healing process.

Nathan
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I found this very useful when I had elbow problem, gave good support in the right places. Lies flat so does not rub against cag etc.
Gary Mascall
Big Henry

Re: Tennis/paddlers elbow

Post by Big Henry »

bobby chariot wrote:
Daffers wrote:
tfraser wrote:I have a work induced elbow problem like tennis elbow.Can I paddle ever again, and does anyone have any experience of this.I have stopped the cause and I think carefull non gripping paddling techniques etc will help.Yours in hope torq
Zero degree feather (seven-2's) might help as well.
This is for wrist not elbow ailments.
My elbow injury came from my wrist injury.
tfraser

Post by tfraser »

Thanks for the help.Do you think it is better to have o feather and cranks or just cranks.
GoldTopo

Post by GoldTopo »

I think lightweight is more important than cranks, I've yet to find a pair of cranks that I'd call light. Also, consider the "swing" weight, ie 2 paddles may weight the same overall, but if one has lighter blades you'll find it easier to swing around.
chrisps

Post by chrisps »

Last year I got an injury which I presumed for ages was tennis elbow (as indeed several medical practitioners did!). I was told it would just go away eventually if I rested it. Apart from not really wanting to stop paddling, it really didnt seem to get much better.

I then went to a physio (Gillian, at Bisham Abbey, just downstream of Hurley) who diagnosed my actual problem as an overly tight nervous system which was aggravated by poor paddling technique and support strokes. Basically pushing my shoulders forward when going for a power stroke an bracing put too much load through the never that runs down your neck, through your shoulder and to your hands. This then made it rub against the inside of the ulna (spelling?) tunnel in my elbow causing quite a lot of pain, especially when bracing.

After she had established this was the problem, she did various exercises to stretch the nerve and I have to say it was miraculous - it went from really bad to practically fixed in a matter of weeks (this was after months of pain).

I dont know whether yours is similar, or really is tennis elbow, but bear it in mind, especially if the doctor cant make your elbow hurt by pushing and pulling (the tell-tail sign it might not be tennis elbow).

I personally found crank shafts really helped as well, as it reduces the stretch on the nerve running down your arm.
Ashley_Ainsworth

Post by Ashley_Ainsworth »

I suffered heavily from this last year- bad pain in my elbows from extending paddling. I had two really good pieces of advice that have totally sorted it:

- use cranks
- don't over extend your arm when taking forward strokes/ boofs

It seems I was stretching too far forward trying to get real big strokes in when boofing, which meant my arm was straight as I started to pull hard on the stroke, basically overstressing the elbow.

Now I am real careful not to over extend my strokes, always starting with my arm bent at least a little bit. Seems to have put the problem firmly in the past...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”