Electric pump installation with unique features^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JulesT

Electric pump installation with unique features^

Post by JulesT » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:38 pm

I spent some time in the winter fitting an electric pump. This has a unique solution to some of the common problems encountered with electric pump installations. I've now tried it out and first indications are very good - it works well! The write up is at the following link. http://www.zen40268.zen.co.uk/seakayaki ... ation.html. lI'd be interested to hear any comments from readers.

Freek

Post by Freek » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:05 pm

Very good idea !
I hate to drill a hole in my new North Shore Mariner.

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:53 pm

Very clever Jules, my hat's off to you mate!
How easy would it be to shape the outlet to "hook" the cockpit rim?

Phil

muzz

Post by muzz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:30 am

Great ! Think I'll head into town tomorrow for the bits before you patent it :-)

guy

Post by guy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Looks good. How much did it all cost?

guy

Post by guy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Instead of the slightly skanky cockpit coaming contact plate
you could use a 2 or 3 mm wire bar. It could be threaded through two holes about 6 or 8 inches apart. This design would depend on the profile of the coaming and is perhaps more suitable for a plastic boat.

tommfuller

Post by tommfuller » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Interesting idea!

Is there a risk of a partial circuit being made when the inside of the boat is wet with salt water? I probably wouldn't be enough to run the pump but could it flatten your battery?

Cheers,

Tom.

JulesT

Post by JulesT » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys for some reason I wasnt getting topic reply notifications so per chance I notcied just now.

Tom - unlikely; OK the pipe end could be in salt water but the cockpit coaming contact isnt - time and testing will tell

Guy - the current setup allows a range of positions of the tube against the contact. A single wire may be a bit more of a hit and miss contact. But yes I might try to remake the contact so it looks a bit better. You wont see it with the spraydeck on.

Cost? pump approx 18, battery 13 (+charger if you havent got one). Fuse holder and wire a few quid. Poly pipe a few quid. The rest left over bits from hoarding. Its not so much the cost as the availability / replaceability / alterability and whether you can make it work in your specific kayak.

Pelagic - a slight curve in the tube would help. Need to try a pipe bender. Copper tube would bend easily but probably go green in salt water and sizing is a problem; 15 or 22 mm standard. My SS bit of tube is either 19 or 20mm and fits in polypipe perfectly.

joncrawf

Post by joncrawf » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:15 pm

I just came across this and I am suitably impressed! I'd be interested to hear the latest from your R&D dept!