Sea Fishing Tackle and Technique?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Cornholio

Sea Fishing Tackle and Technique?^

Post by Cornholio » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi all- can anyone on here with experience(!!) give some advice as to how they fish from their kayak- not as part of their day out with a rod, but with a trailing line as they paddle? I'm thinking in terms of:
1/ what you can expect to catch in different sea areas of the country
2/ what size of hook, gauge of line, float(?), hand reel etc to use
3/ bait or lures?
4/ actual technique from laying out the line(how much etc) to reeling in and cudgelling the evenings tea!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:40 am

If you want to see the "serious" fishermen, take a look at
http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/

I carry a hand line with some extra monofilament on it (I think it's 10lb). On the end I have a string of mackeral feathers and 4-6oz of lead. Sometimes I add a rubber squid or worm on a larger hook trailing off the lead weight.

Most of the fishing I've done has been getting back into the boat after setting up my tent, and spending an hour in the early evening drifting close to shore. Find a narrow channel between two islands or you may find a ledge on the sea bed. Probably no more than 10-15m depth. Jig the lures a few feet off the bottom. Using this technique several pollack, cod and coley have found their way onto the BBQ.
I have never seen anyone catch anything apart from lumps of weed by trailing a line behind as they paddle.

To dispatch the fish, either a sharp blow with a conveniently shaped piece of driftwood, or break the neck. Best to have a bin liner for storage on-board or a mesh bag that can trail in the water to keep your catch fresh.

I'm sure other contributors are a little more scientific and use more sophisticated techniques, but that basic rig should be a good start. It's also worth having a knife always at hand in case the tackle gets out of hand, or you end up with more than you can deal with on the hook. I would also recommend a pair of pliers, for removing hooks from fish mouths, or more likely, spraydecks. A lump of foam/wine cork as a hook guard is useful

waltfos

Fishing

Post by waltfos » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:42 pm

First tip is keep a knife close by incase you have to cut the line free and also be carefull if you are abit of a swimmer as it can then be dangerous. Also consider if in a group where you are in location to others too.

This said you will need a weight that will sink but not to heavy to catch the bottom as you paddle at say 3 knotts.

If the weight is to heavy it will snag you and if it is to light it will be on the surface when trawling.

Where, is it Lochs, estuaries, open sea, etc keeping in mind a liscence may be reuired too

You should also know what you are trying to catch and this will depend on the time of year too also the tackle you use.

If you are a member of the SCA sign up for the fishing competition from seakayaks in the clyde later this year.

To this it will be mainly mackrel, cod etc Bait feathers spinners muscles or worms.

How many hooks do you put out [3 max] try pulling in a couple of fish not as easy as you may think.

Go to a fishing tackle shop the will give you feathers with correct size of hooks for sea fishing, if you know where you paddle tell the fishing shop chappie and he will advise on other size of hooks or spinners, hand lines etc or eaven a small telescopic rod and real

If going for salmon i estuaries beware as the do fight a good one as do other fish who may be hungry for the bait you put out

Ok you hve had success what do you do with the fist now. Where are you going to put them ie deck cockpit etc. To this dont get to greedy as a slight accident Neptune can recapture his creatures and you with an unstable boat

as jon said using a pirk and jigging of the bottom can produce good fish to but do think of what you are trying to catch from the boat you are in even oil rig tenders capsize on the beam if the weight is to heavy and not counterbalanced as experienced by some experienced sea farers recently

trust this helps with info provided

Walt

AllanJ

Post by AllanJ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:13 pm

I use a Paravane I think it's called, with four or five feathers or imitation sand eels. The paravane keeps the hooks down while paddling at normal rate without needing a huge lump of lead. Main problem of fishing on the move is picking up weed and other debris in the water - it all gets drawn down the line and wraps around the hooks rendering them useless. I stop and reel in to clear the line if there's a lot of stuff in the water. I normally have about 30ft of line out with about 3ft from the paravane to the first hook. The main part of the line is braided which I find tangles less than monofilm. I use an old wooden handline 'reel' with a piece of cork glued to one side for securing the hooks when not in use.

I generally only fish when the Mackerel are about and can pretty much guaranttee to catch something within an hour's fishing.

Keep a knife and pliers handy. I use the pump handle for killing fish (never actually used it for pumping). Fish are slippery so take case when
removing hook that the fish doesn't go over the side - I normally only take one fish so I chuck still hooked with other lures into a bag to be sorted out safely on dry land.

Perhaps it's the lack of disturbance in the water of a kayak compared to a larger boat, but I've often caught fish when people rod fishing from motor boats are getting nothing.

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Cheers folks- some good ideas to play with there!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

applejack

Post by applejack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 pm

Lidl supermarket are doing these for £2.99 which look handy for fishing from a sea kayak.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192 ... 1176753903
handline.jpg (JPEG Image, 800x600 pixels) - Scaled (92%)

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm

applejack wrote:Lidl supermarket are doing these for £2.99 which look handy for fishing from a sea kayak.

If you prefer you could buy the same thing on e-bay!

NOT
Perhaps the greatest flaw in democracy is the idea that, if a majority of the population believes arrant nonsense, it somehow makes the nonsense true.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

applejack

Post by applejack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:25 pm

If you prefer you could buy the same thing on e-bay!

And pay £7.99 inc P&P instead of £2.99 at Lidl .

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:30 pm

applejack wrote:And pay £7.99 inc P&P instead of £2.99 at Lidl .
Was I being too subtle for you?!
Perhaps the greatest flaw in democracy is the idea that, if a majority of the population believes arrant nonsense, it somehow makes the nonsense true.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

applejack

Post by applejack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:34 pm

runswick2000 wrote:
applejack wrote:And pay £7.99 inc P&P instead of £2.99 at Lidl .
Was I being too subtle for you?!

Ahhhh...the old ironic approach....I see !

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:08 pm

Are lidls doing them at the mo then? Ebay is full of chancers punting Lidls gear- loads of crappy bike panniers etc at hugely inflated prices etc

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Hand line

Post by soundoftheseagull » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:15 pm

I purchased one from Ebay last year.
A fishing friend replaced the mmmm not sure what they are called and put feathers on, shiny things anyway.
Had some success and ended up pulling out mackerel near the Orme.
The only mishap was I got tangled up with Ga,s.
Quiet exciting although bemused by how to dispatch them on capture.
They were on the BBQ within 2 hours superb tasting fresh fish.
I would recommend that you are in company as it helps with storage of your catch etc.
As they say for the price have a go.
Dave

Rockpool GT

applejack

Post by applejack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 am

Cornholio wrote:Are lidls doing them at the mo then? Ebay is full of chancers punting Lidls gear- loads of crappy bike panniers etc at hugely inflated prices etc
They were yesterday anyway.

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:20 am

This is what I'll be fishing with this summer available on ebay

Because of the wooden handle thing they are kind of reelable, they work well and are well made. Also the paravanes do the job.....once weight comes onto the hook they flip and surface so you know when you have caught something. In my experience 3knots is an ideal speed, any faster is to fast.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Well spotted "Runswick"- think that'll do the job nicely! I went into Lidls and they had the reels- but the hooks look huge, the reel itself looks on the big side as does the line- and the lures are pretty bright...probably replace it all with other bits as I've learned that the mackerel lures are smaller and silvery/shiny! Maybe a good bet would be to assemble one using some line/lures etc and find a bit of driftwood to use/shape as a reel one summer evening by the camp fire?!

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Just bought a pair- better value than one and a spare may be useful. The paravane think looks like a good idea anyway...

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Just been out for 1/2 an hour and caught a solitary mackerill, the first of the season and caught using those silvery plastic 'feathers'. I just sat still in the water jigging the line.........now, what is Mrs 'Runswick' going to eat tonight I wonder?!

Lifeboat Scrapbook

waltfos

Fishing Tackle

Post by waltfos » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:42 pm

All

applejack wrote:
Lidl supermarket are doing these for £2.99 which look handy for fishing from a sea kayak.

If you watch TITS 3 Justine Curgenven uses it to great effect in the Faroes

3 hooks 3 fish and help hauling in.

Wonder if Lidle will get a mention and sponsor Justine on TITS 4 well its all down to placement advertising

Walt