Trollied^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
monkeyboy

Trollied^

Post by monkeyboy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:15 pm

I've finally come to the point where I can justify buying a trolley to help me transport my seaboat around ie my back keeps moaning when I put the boat on my shoulder!! Dodnt have a price in mind at the moment.So far the list is
Kari-Tek http://www.kari-tek.co.uk/html/kayak_trolley.html
KCS http://www.kayaksea.co.uk/equipment/carriers.htm
Freya's one http://www.qajaqunderground.com/kayak-trolley.html

Any ides/feedback/users on the above or even any others worth a look?
Thanks
Keep 'er lit. Remeber there are no fish under the ice

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 pm

I've got a KCS - superb bit of kit - perhaps a little unwieldy to actually take in the boat tho as the wheels are quite big and even when taken apart the rest of the trolley is awkward to pack.

A number of friends have the Kari Tec one - as it folds in on itself it is perhasp rather easier to take with you (on the back deck usually) and as all its straps are an integral part of the design it is easier to deploy.

No experience of others.

If actualy taking it with you isn't a significant factor then a diy exercise would be very much cheaper. (Check the Almanac)

It'd be interesting to hear what you decide on - and why.

Mike.

John W

KCS

Post by John W » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Got to agree with Mike on the KCS trolley. I used one when I paddled the circumnav of Wales, it was invaluable. For moving a loaded boat when you are paddling solo it is the bees knees.

The tyres are a little large, but will easily fit into an oval hatch or in the cockpit if you have room beyond the footrest.

I'm very happy with mine. Likewise I do not have any experience of the Kari-Tek.

JW

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:08 pm

Wouldn't it be good if someone did a test & review of all three?
S

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Yes. Unless anyone else is desparate to do it, I'll pull somethign together on the KCS and KariTec ones asap.

If anyone can do me pics and comments on others that'll be fine. editor@ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk will get them to me.

Regs, Mike.

GordB

Post by GordB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:07 pm

Have a look at these as well.

I have one and it works wonderfully.

h t t p : //www . wheeleez . com/

Gord

(edit by admin to allow url - http://www.wheeleez.com/ )

mountainboy

Post by mountainboy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:58 pm

I made mine with an old skateboard truck and some wood it ok so long as it no on pebbles but its small and good to use.

dorsetyeti

Wheelez trolley

Post by dorsetyeti » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Is there an importer for these trolleys or have you got do it all yourself. If so does it make it all worthwhile, astraight conversion of the price make it more expensive than the ekla trolleys and that doesnt account for any shipping costs. I am not trying to be a party pooper, they look really good

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:38 pm

Just noticed Knoydart are selling these for £60. Seems good value. Anybody used one.
http://www.eckla.de/english/index072.php
http://knoydart.co.uk/display_access.ph ... s=13&id=76

Thanks
Keep 'er lit. Remeber there are no fish under the ice

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:17 pm

I have an Eckla 200 - it's OK, but it has to be very tightly strapped to the kayak to prevent insanity. I'm gradually getting the hang of it, but I still haven't managed to do the one mile portage to the beach and back without any incidents - deep soft sand and cobbled slipways have a habit of loosening the straps = trolley twisting out of alignment = temptation to play eckla football...

(the rubber/plastic they use for the grippy things is also very hard; it's scratched my boat in a couple of places)

YvonneB

Eckla

Post by YvonneB » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:28 pm

I bought one - only used it once but it was fine going up a steep cinder path, though not far. There was another thread on here about how to strap onto a trolley and I followed the advice to loop the strap under the axle each side and do it up on the top nice and tight. My kayak has a very flat hull, perhaps that helps.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm

You need a strap round the trolley and the hull - and another running between something like the axle and the front of the cockpit to stop the thing slipping / tiliting backwards.

On the KCS the instructions just say loop that second strap round the axle. I found that allowed the trolley to rock side-to-side so I added two small loops to the "legs" to allow the straps to hold it more securely.

That helps.

Mike

GordB

Re: Wheelez trolley

Post by GordB » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:21 pm

dorsetyeti wrote:Is there an importer for these trolleys or have you got do it all yourself. If so does it make it all worthwhile, astraight conversion of the price make it more expensive than the ekla trolleys and that doesnt account for any shipping costs. I am not trying to be a party pooper, they look really good
I really have no idea if there is an importer or not. I purchased mine in Canada.
The Eckla looks to be very close in design and may be a better option when shipping and duties are involved.

The padding on the top surfaces of mine is a fairly dense rubberized foam so they grip my hull very well. I've noticed no slippage while I've had the boat attached though I do make sure that the straps pass just forward and aft of the coaming effectively locking the boat in place.

Gord

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:58 pm

My eckla now stays put because I use a 3m roof strap but tighten the strap in front of my newly fitted towing cam cleat, so it can't slip back. Sand and mud act like a nice abrasive between the wheels/axles, and there is always that grey gunge when you take the wheels off(=limited axle lifespan) £60 is a rip off- but alone there is no other way of carrying/moving a laden kayak. I'm always on the look out for something to improvise a trolley with before this one falls apart...got some Hippo golf cart wheels from a bloke at work- just need to sort out a method of fitting them to an appropriate frame!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

Owen

Post by Owen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 am

This is my trolly which I brought from a Mr D. Hutchinson purveyor of fibreglass kayaks at one of the early Anglesey Symposuim. I've not seen one like it since but it's lasted about eighteen years. It was made in France by MATC. The wheels are ten inch and when folded it's about twenty inch long, so too big to go through a round hatch but will fit in an oval one(my boat only has the old small round ones).

Has anyone else seen one like it?

GrahamKing

Post by GrahamKing » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:16 am

Does anyone have any experience of this one?
http://www.kaya-wales.co.uk/index_files/page0008.htm

In general, what are the pros-&-cons of sharply V-shaped "end-loaders" like this, vs "midships-loaders" such as Freya's? (I imagine that you're personally carrying more weight with an end-loader, but it might be a bit easier if you have to negotiate a step, and it might be easier to stow?)

-- Graham

(Admin edit by MikeB to allow url)

Erling

Post by Erling » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:56 am

I made a nose wheel for the training kayak I used to have (picture link). The obvious pro was the small size. The cons were that you had to carry half the weight of the kayak. Also, that when negotiating bends you needed some serious elbow room to make the thing turn.

Whilst on the subject I will warn against this one. I found it ultra appealing in its simplicity but it simply didn't hold up. The joints broke and the arms twisted out of shape. The dealer gave me the money back after seeing the sad remains.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:48 pm

I bought an Ekla 260 from Avoncraft at the NEC show recently with the intention of using it on my recent trip to Stavanger. The axle broke off as I wheeled it off the ferry and dropped me in the s***! I managed to find a very helpful Norwegian plumber and marina who let me use their workshop to put it back together again. Just waiting for my response to Avancraft regarding a refund! Will let you know how I get on. Basically not fit for use in my opinion! Alluminium is too soft - design is good but not strong enough!
Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

Mark R

Re: Trollied

Post by Mark R » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Wow! I've just taken delivery of my very own KCS trolley, and it is MASSIVE! It looks like a flat pack Land Rover.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:26 pm

Will it fit in a hatch or sit on the back deck? Or will it drive along the coast to meet you when you come ashore?
S

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:09 pm

You will need a shuttle run just for the trolley...
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:49 pm

We recently dragged 3 fully laden kayaks over the Jura Tarbert.

Of three designs only the KCS trolley survived and returned to carry another boat after its trolley's aluminium leg snapped off.

On a fully loaded boat I store mine on the back deck in a Kari-tek trolley bag. Not only will it survive the Jura Tarbert but I expect these KCS trolleys to survive till the Sun burns cold.

My only criticism of this behemoth of the trolley world is that its wheels are actually a bit close together and it is possible for your heavily laden boat to tip over.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:54 pm

I was playing around with ways to store it earlier and came to the same conclusion - best bet is the back deck, otherwise it has to be spread all over the place.

I agree with DW's estimation of its longevity, indeed I bought it having read his Jura report.

After the nuclear holocaust, when we've reverted to the Stone Age and cockroaches rule the earth, the KCS trolley will be the last functioning piece of technology. Apart from the Kelly Kettle.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

geoffm

Post by geoffm » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:40 am

I have one of these http://www.paddlingperfection.com/foldaroll.htm and find it to be excellent, made in New Zealand.

Geoff

CCL

Post by CCL » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:27 am

I have a trolley from Freya - will take pics etc for you.

The real plus is that the metal frame collapses a little like tent poles (with elastic bungee threaded through) so that it fits in a tent pole bag (supplied). When you need to reassemble it, then a quick shake and voila - its trolley shaped again.
other plus - straps are already sewn onto the frame for you to use to secure your kayak

The up-side of the wheels - they are big and sturdy enough to get across wven the most pebbly/rocky awkward ground

the down side of the wheels - won;t go in my hatches (round hatches on Rockpool Alaw). They will fit in oval valley hatches though.

other down side - bit pricey
Pictures to follow

Claire

johndh

Post by johndh » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:46 am

I have a C-tug. It is decpetively light and made of plastic. The axles are re-inforced with steel though.

It is made by a group of kayakers (also) in NZ. I think it is their only product.

It folds and comes apart for hatch (or back deck) stowage. Pretty groovy.

Will fit into perception oval hatch easily.

I found that I had to really had to pull it hard to get it apart; scared that this would break it; I called them to ask if this was normal or was I doing it right? (basically I was holding the axels in each hand and folding the unit by bringing it down hard across my knee!)

They said that if I managed to break it at all by doing anything at all to it they would send me a new one or my money back. I asked them to email that to me. They did.

Had it for 3 years now...still going strong. And it does take some hammer! Although it now folds a bit easier now it has 'bedded-in'

I think roho stock them. Not cheap but a small object of desire.

Actually looks a bit like the foldaroll from what i can gather.

J

link: http://www.c-tug.com/

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:03 pm

The 260mm wheels fitted to several designs, including Freya's, can be squeezed through a 10 inch round hatch if you let the tyres down. Of course if you do this you will need to add a bicycle pump or a CO2 tyre inflation device to your kit.

Alternatively swap in a pair of 200mm wheels (obtainable as Eckla spares) although they are much smaller and have less off-road capability.

I did find a source of 230mm wheels in Germany but the supplier wouldn't accept a credit or debit card and paying for them by bank transfer in Euros proved too difficult and costly.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:07 pm

I experimented with various ways of stowing/ secreting bits of my KCS trolley around the boat. It was all a bit futile as I want to be able to retrieve and assemble the thing within minutes, and without taking my loaded boat to bits.

Eventual solution arrived at was what I've always done - just strap the thing on the back deck in a cheap Lomo dry bag and hope that the wind isn't too strong.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Mark R wrote:I experimented with various ways of stowing/ secreting bits of my KCS trolley around the boat.
Just to clarify, as the link goes to a page of products, are we discussing the one listed as "KCS Dual Purpose Kayak Trolley and Loader" ? It doesn't look all that big in the picture, which just shows the effectiveness of not including any object to give scale to the photo.
Not in Oxford any more...

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 pm

maryinoxford wrote:Just to clarify, as the link goes to a page of products, are we discussing the one listed as "KCS Dual Purpose Kayak Trolley and Loader" ?
Yes.

It is really is rather big, and it doesn't exactly 'flat pack' either.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK