Garmin GPSMAP 76csx^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Simon Willis

Garmin GPSMAP 76csx^

Post by Simon Willis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:11 pm

Could anyone who uses one of these or similar tell me whether they'll run on rechargeable batteries (which are just 1.2v) and whether a pair (2500 size) lasts a whole day with that big colour screen? I'm thinking of buying a new toy.
S

guy

lithium batteries

Post by guy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:32 pm

I have just started using these http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... ts_id=5345
lithium batteries.

You can probably turn off the compass and barometer if you need more hours use from a set of batteries

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Guy. I prefer to use rechargeables from the recycling side of things. But I suspect that bright screen might draw too much power for them to cope, so it's good to know where could get lithiums at a decent price.
S

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Hi Simon,

I have a Garmin GPS MAP60C which also has a big colour screen and usually use Duracells. They seem to last around 16 hours continuous use which gives a good 2 days paddling. Nice and easy to replace and no data is lost when they are replaced.
The 'bumph' says that you can use alkaline and NiMH batteries although the rechargable may not last as long.

It would be worth you looking at the MAP60CX which is about the same price at the site you were looking at and does .
I have found mine to be excellent and very easy to use (you can even down,oad routes onto Google Earth and view them on that).

Rog.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:02 pm

Simon,

try this site for the next one up, the CSX which is being sold cheaper than the lower spec. model... http://www.blokesstuff.com/Product.aspx ... Qwodokom2w

Rog.

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi Rog

I was going to buy from the Blokestuff site, but the forum wouldn't allow me to embed a link to it - probably because it uses () symbols.

I liked the look of the 76 CSx over the "rugged" 60 CSx model, because I wanted one with the screen at the bottom of the unit and the 76 is cheaper on the Blokestuff site. Is the 60 higher spec than the 76?

I've read reviews which say it's fiddly to change batteries, and since I use rechargeables, I'd like to make sure they last more than a day.

I had a set expire mid-paddle last weekend, and had the interesting experience of almost entering a tidal race backwards, boxes on deck, four batteries in my mouth.

EDIT

I've just been told by Duncan Chandlers in Glasgow that none of these colour screen GPS units will run on rechargeable batteries - any one know if that's right?
Last edited by Simon Willis on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:06 pm

For what it's worth, I've got the 76C. It's sold as waterproof, but on one occastion when I accidentally immersed it, water did get into the battery compartment. That killed those batteries, but once I'd dried it out and put in fresh, it still worked okay, and retained the track it had been storing up to the immersion. I think I should put it in a waterproof case now.
Not in Oxford any more...

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Simon,

tch ! experts.... what do they know?
I attach a link for the Map 60 cs owners manual which gives battery types on page 11:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP60C ... Manual.pdf

and also link for the Map 76.. see page 12 for battery types:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP76C ... Manual.pdf

both can use NiMH.
Regarding the fitting of the batteries I don't think that it is very difficult at all (I think they both take 2 batteries only).
I am not sure of the finer details of the specification comparison (may be worth phoning Garmin themselves) but i note from the sites that they say the 76 should last for 20 hours on one set whilst the 60 should last up to 30 hours..... both these with a pinch of salt I think but looks as though the 60 would give you extra battery life.
I tend to let my battery indicator only get down to one bar before changing so that I don't get caught short trying to swap them at inopertune moments however, so far I have never had to change them mid-trip.

Rog.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:10 pm

just to add to Mary's point, I have never had problems with water leakage on my one and if it did I would go back to Garmin for a replacement as they are supposed to be.......
"Waterproof to IEC 529 IPX7 standards (can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)"

Rog.

IN-UIT

Post by IN-UIT » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:20 pm

Duracells give me 16 hours on my 60csx, not tried rechargeables.

See: forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php for lots of info.

Threads: forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=147667

Gordon Simpson

Post by Gordon Simpson » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:41 pm

The answer is yes. I have a GPSmap76c and run it with Energizer rechargeable batteries: they lasted the whole of the paddling time of a recent 3 day trip across to and around Eigg.

keith

Post by keith » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:43 pm

I run my 60Cx on 2300mAn Ni-MH for around 2 days use on the water without any problem, changing batteries on the water can be interesting :-)

I decided against the CSx model as I believe the comapss and barometer would drain the batteries even faster. I have a Suunto barometer watch thing and a rather good compass on the boat which work very well!

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Really, REALLY helpful. Thank you all.
S

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:58 pm

I had a GPSmap 76S - mono screen, uses a pair of rechargeable
NiMH cells. Lucky if two sets last a full day.

I say "had" - I've still got it, but, despite being in a waterproof
outer case and being sold as a "marine" GPS, a small pinhole
in the outer case was enough for the unit to die of seawater ingress
when on the deck of a sea kayak. That's the second Garmin unit I've
had die in the same way - I used the flexible waterproof outer precisely
because the first one had died this way. Wasn't good enough.

Notice that "waterproof to 1m" for any amount of time is a much less
harsh test than being on the deck of a sea kayak. On the deck, the GPS
heats up in the sun, reaching say 310 K, then a wave goes over
the deck, reducing it near 280 K, causing a ten percent reduction in
internal pressure. That's equivalent to a 3m depth of water. Repeat
this all day every time you paddle in the sun and that GPS is going to
die in a matter of a few trips. Even if water doesn't get in on the first
few trips, the repeated thermal/pressure cycling weakens the radio-
frequency welded seams which are an obvious weak point.

I'm intrigued by the Alkaline versus Rechargeable question as I've
recently been reading technical reviews of digital cameras in which
one apparently knowledgeable person suggests that Alkaline batteries
are not good for digital cameras as they can't supply enough current
and therefore don't actually yield the Ah they are rated for, whereas
NiMH cells are supposed to be "the business". Certainly seems unlikely
from my experience ...

Andy

PeteB

Post by PeteB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:08 am

Andy, i can't imagine that good alkalines are being stressed too much by the current draw of a digital camera, but i think that the nominal battery capacity figures are calculated from a 10hour discharge rate and there are probably quite a few cameras out there that wouldn't last 10 hours continuous use on a set of batteries so therefore they are pulling more current than the 10hour rate. This may then result in the batteries yielding slightly less than their stated nominal capacities.

I have certainly observed the effect of cameras benefitting from the lower internal resistance of the NiCd rechargeables when using the flash. The current pulled when the flash circuit is charging is more easily delivered by NiCds and you can see the flash is ready for its next discharge sooner. Many NiMH cells are getting better at delivering higher current but will not achieve the NiCd levels, however the capacities are getting very impressive - quite close to alkalines. recharging is obviously a good thing for the environment and budget, but NiCds must not been thrown in the bin, the cadmium is bad stuff for land fill.

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:54 pm

Not sure if this is relavant or not, but in the GPS38 handbook is says it's ok to use rechargable batteries but the battery level indicator wont give a true reading.

Erling

Post by Erling » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:49 pm

Simon;
As already established, the 76CSx does indeed accept rechargeables. Be aware that you are supposed to tell the unit what kind of batteries you are using, NiMH or alkaline. This is done on the System Setup page. On this page you may also turn off EGNOS, which will give you a bit more battery life at the cost of slightly less precise positions. You can also choose Battery Saver mode. In this mode the GPS receiver (not the unit as such!) will turn itself off for periods up to 5 seconds or so when it appears that you're not moving, or travelling in a straight line at constant speed. If you start changing direction or speed, the firmware automatically reduces or eliminates the receiver-off periods.

As you will know, the "S" in CSx means that this version has two sensors, one for the electronic compass and one for the barometric altimeter. The electronic compass will always draw current, but is useful only when standing still. Once you’re moving the GPS compass will start working. You can turn the electronic compass off by pressing the Page button until you receive the message "Compass off". You can not turn the barometric altimeter off.

BTW, if you really really want to get the most out of your batteries, try to track down the previous model 76C if possible - no sensors, no x. The SIRF chipset ("x") has better sensitivity but is more battery hungry. The improved sensitivity may mean a lot under dense foliage but means nothing on the open water. Garmin claimed up to 30 hrs battery life for the C and 20 hrs for the CS. They state typically 18 hrs for the Cx and the CSx.

Hope this helps.
The older I get, the better I used to be.