Arbroath Sea Caves^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
amg37

Arbroath Sea Caves^

Post by amg37 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi, I am looking for a wee bit of advice about paddling around the Arbroath Sea Caves. Where is the best place to park, and is there an ideal tide time to go? Also, having not done this before, if you have any other info/advice, it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

woody

Post by woody » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:09 pm

Hello amg37

I was just up at the sea caves today. Its a fantastic place. I don't want to patronise you but its not a beginners place. I have no idea if that applies to you or not. By the way do you have a name please because it is strange writing to a number/letter combination?

Tidally I went on the ebb tide and caught a bit of wind vs tide off the headlands which created some decent lumpiness. There was a moderate sea running with a southerly 3-4 wind against the tide and more clapotis than you could shake a stick at. You would not want to get into the wrong place here there are some really jaggy rocks!

We saw a pod of dolphins and paddled along with them for about an hour. Watch this space for pics. As for launch/land you could go north out of the giant car park at the east of Arbroath and land at Auchmithie, or do it the other way round. Or you could start at one, paddle to the other for ice cream and then go back which is what we did and gets you most time on the water. Plenty of the caves are accessible but landing on the beaches on the way is a pain below about half tide due to large wave cut platforms consisting of rocks the consistency of giant rough sandpaper. Its worth trying to land to explore the caves however.

I want to end on a word of warning. I reckon in bad conditions this would become a really dodgy place to be. No more than moderate sea and force four wind max if its from south west round to north east (onshore). Westerly winds would blow offshore and probably wouldnt be so bad.

Hope you enjoy it

Woody

amg37

Post by amg37 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi Woody, thanks for the info. The group we have going should manage fine, and we will take the weather as it comes - forecast looks good. We will probably give it a go, going from Arbroath to Auchmithie.

Cheers
Allan

woody

Post by woody » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:50 pm

Hello Allan

I forgot to say in my spiel that I have never explored north of Auchmithie and I think there is probably quite a bit of good stuff to be had up that way. It could be well worth an explore. Another thing I forgot to mention was to watch out for guys fishing on the cliffs because their lines can be hard to spot in the sun.

On rereading my initial post I came across as a bit patronising. Sorry about that, it was unintended.

Have a good one
Woody

Jamie Adam

Post by Jamie Adam » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:14 pm

No problem, its always worth sounding a note of caution. We had an awesome time, but we were lucky with the conditions - any more swell and it certainly wouldn't have been a good place for beginners, we wouldn't have gone out. Thanks for the info on anglers too, there were a few of them out.

Cheers,

Jamie

woody

Post by woody » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:56 pm

Yeah I was out with my girlfriend so we were quite cautious. I would love to get out with some nutters in a bit of a blow though. Did you come across any of these critters?

Woody

amg37

Post by amg37 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Didn't unfortunatly, lots of seagulls, and a few other birds, but that was about it. We paddled from Arbroath to Auchmithie which worked well - cheers for letting us know about that, it was good fun and a perfect weekend for it when there was no surf or water in the rivers!