Surf kayak fins^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
av.surfer

Surf kayak fins^

Post by av.surfer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:56 pm

I posted a few weeks ago that a set of 2.5 inch RFC fins would fit into a the Mega fin boxes. Now that i've tried to fit them i've found that they've needed some minor mod's. i've had to sand the area that fits into the box and re-drill the roll pin holes approx 5mm towards the front of the fin to allow them to slide in and get the full range of adjustment. My boat has the plastic boxes so not sure if you'll have to do the same if you have the aluminium ones. they look good now they're in. I've taken Stoneweasels advice and put the std Mega fin in the centre of my slingshot

greensurfer

Post by greensurfer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Keep us updated on how you get on with your new boat.

av.surfer

Slingshot

Post by av.surfer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:31 pm

Yeah will do. Really pleased with it. As i said yesterday looks flat to small for the next couple of days up here, always the same when you get a new toy, typical ey!! Thanx again

Wilf

Post by Wilf » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Did you get the fins from the USA, the postage put me off getting some.

harrysk

Post by harrysk » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:53 pm

Just fitted some Rainbow fins in a new Reflex with the aluminium boxes. The centre fin needed a bit of sanding to fit in the box but the thrusters were fine. No need to move the pin.

Harry

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:32 pm

I use two 2" RFC fins on the outside and one of the Mega centre fins (3" possibly) on my Neutron and am loving this set up. The RFC fins fitted strait in the fin boxes with no modification, you can always expect a bit of variation with fins though and having to sand them down a bit is not uncommon.
Wilf wrote:Did you get the fins from the USA, the postage put me off getting some.
If you e-mail the nice people at RFC they will put you in touch with the UK distributor that can get them to you for a far more reasonable price, expect to wait a while if he does not have any at the time though.

Denzil

edit:Making right mess of posting tonight

Veedurb

Post by Veedurb » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Where can I find clear information on fin set-up and positioning (i.e. setting up for different surf types)?

Tried out my new Reflex at the weekend and I liked it!
We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Veedurb wrote:Where can I find clear information on fin set-up and positioning (I.e. setting up for different surf types)?...
I have never really found anything about fin positioning written down. All the information I have picked up about fins is a combination of hearsay, suggestion, experimentation and opinion, the most successful way to find anything out seems to be experimentation.

Sorry I could not be more useful,

Denzil

younggun

fins

Post by younggun » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:52 pm

http://magicseaweed.com/Shortboard-Fin- ... ticle/146/
Try this. Mostly related to shortboards bu probably also applicable to surf boats.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:59 pm

From Plughole, Desperate Measures's mini-magazine. There was an article in the last issue about surf boating:
Fins

Fins are vital on a true surf boat. Start with smaller fins and work your way up as you find you need more grip. To start, put your centre fin under your spine and your two thrusters fins under your hips. Further forwards makes the boat snappier, which is great on smaller waves, while further back means you’ve got more grip on bigger days.

And size matters. If you start small, your hull will still slide and your set up will let you get away with a bit more. Big fins grip harder but if you don’t change your technique to turn through the fin instead of sliding out, you’re going to be picking up beach in your teeth.

Lastly, look at the shape. Vertical fins are looser while fins with a more backswept angle give you better grip through a bottom turn.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:12 pm

Pete C. wrote:From Plughole, Desperate Measures's mini-magazine. There was an article in the last issue about surf boating:
Fins

Fins are vital on a true surf boat. Start with smaller fins and work your way up as you find you need more grip. To start, put your centre fin under your spine and your two thrusters fins under your hips. Further forwards makes the boat snappier, which is great on smaller waves, while further back means you’ve got more grip on bigger days.

And size matters. If you start small, your hull will still slide and your set up will let you get away with a bit more. Big fins grip harder but if you don’t change your technique to turn through the fin instead of sliding out, you’re going to be picking up beach in your teeth.

Lastly, look at the shape. Vertical fins are looser while fins with a more backswept angle give you better grip through a bottom turn.
Oh, I completely forgot about that bit in Plughole. What an excellent edition of the mini mag that was.

wave skier

Post by wave skier » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi Matt,
Walking on the wild side then buying a slingshot! What was the reason?
I hear you had a surf on Sunday with Kev. I didn't go down on Sunday still knackered from States trip and course in Cardiff on Saturday.

Best Wishes
Harry.

av.surfer

Post by av.surfer » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi Harry,
I'm at work at mo, home for long weekend this week so will catch up with you sat/sun, surf looking good for weekend.

If anyone's interested I got my RFC fins from www.wwc.co.uk. I always run my fins as far forward in the fin box as possible.

Porky

Fins

Post by Porky » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:03 pm

If anyone is looking for a set of assymetric fins, I have a set of brand new True Aimes 4.5" that I imported from California. I have one set in my Megatron (which stopped the humming instantly) and i have a spare set which we discovered dont fit DB Boats. These cost me £75 a set to import, so serious offers if your interested.

Fins can be seen on the True Aimes website.

Richie

Veedurb

Post by Veedurb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Cheers fellas, help is most appreciated! I have the standard Mega fins and noticed the humming the very first wave that I caught in my new Reflex, then I let my oppo have a go and he too noticed it in his 10 minute test flight!
We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing