Hangovers...^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Vulch

Hangovers...^

Post by Vulch » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:07 pm

Not the kind I had last Monday morning (and for some of the afternoon), but rather the hangover you get when you put a 20ft sea kayak on a 15ft motor car...

My question: what is the legal situation regarding overhanging objects on roof racks?

I had always though that you could have a bit of an overhang, but beyond a certain length had to have a bit of old rag hanging off the end or something... I then realised (see above definition) that my definition was a little indistinct and vague...

Does anyone know the actual requirements?

Vulch

AllanC

Hangovers

Post by AllanC » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Try this link:

www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19453

To a discussion we already had on this, I think the concensus was that you should have a marker on it anyway. But there are plenty of us that have had no problems, legal or otherwise putting sea boats on top of small cars.

Allan

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:07 pm

Yes the discussion was a long one....

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs10.htm

Official answer is two metre overhang, front or rear requires end markers - red and white striped triangle as in the link.

Any bright bit of cloth will almost certainly pass the police test......
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

keithy-g

Post by keithy-g » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 am

Evening,

There is a dispensation that has been given for sculling boats and rowing boats in general which apparently includes kayaks and canoes which is detailed in the OLD bcu handbook. Essentially the same kind of advice but it doesn't need to be a red/white triangle just a bright piece of material.

It was an essential piece of information missed out from every other book since! The amount of people that asked me over the summer about this was amazing.

Keith

Carl M

Post by Carl M » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:00 am

However it would take a very long kayak and a very short car to have a 2m overhang (except maybe doubles) in which case nothing is compulsary (but I still use one anyway)