Let's Get Sirius.^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
muzz

Let's Get Sirius.^

Post by muzz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:08 pm

Well a Sirius sometimes appears on my 'boats to trial' list then gets scribbled out when I freak about the beam.
One reason it's back on is that an experienced paddler told me to go for a boat that would challenge rather than suit my abilities, in order to progress.
The other reason is that I may be able to get a second hand one.
I have mostly been using my current boat for half days and full days in and around the Cromarty Firth and would like to do weekends if I can get my shifts to tally with the club trips.
So anyone got one or paddles one. I seem to remember Douglas saying it flipped from side to side a lot ? Suitable for a sub 70Kg paddler ?

This lotseem quite keen.

Mark R

Re: Let's Get Sirius.

Post by Mark R » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm

muzz wrote:when I freak about the beam.
Just so as I understand you...do you mean the narrowness?

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:43 pm

Hello Muzz,

I was fortunate in being able to borrow a Sirius for three weeks from Scottish Paddler Supplies.

It is narrow and it does have a more of a V bottom than the Quest, so its primary stability is not so good but it is very stable when leaned over for edging. The Quest was quite a bit faster in a straight line when paddling at maximum effort but there was no noticable difference at cruising speed. I found it difficult to take photographs from due to it wanting to lie on one side of the V or the other. However, it felt really good on rough water conditions when an unladen Quest was bouncy in comparison. My daughter loved it.

Douglas :o)

muzz

Post by muzz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:04 pm

MarkR wrote: Just so as I understand you...do you mean the narrowness?

Cheers,
Yes, it's the narrowest boat ever to make it onto my list :-)

That's interesting Douglas, I'm hoping she's a similar weight. I'm going to try the boat on Friday and was out practising my roll yesterday.

Mike Marshall

Sirius

Post by Mike Marshall » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:03 pm

Muzz,
I had one for ten years. It is a superb boat despite the initial wobbly adaptation. It tracks beautifully on all points and in all winds, usually without the need for the skeg.
The only reason I sold it was to buy a Quest, needed more room for camping gear (cough cough!).
The guy that bought it loves it and is relatively inexperienced.
So if it is local, get to borrowing it and try it out for a few trips.
All time classic.

MikeM

woody

Post by woody » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:33 pm

Hello muzz I owned a sirius HF for about a year and a half recently. I sorely regret selling it although it had a few glitches for me. For comparison's sake I am 5'10", 10 3/4 stone, size nine feet. I used the boat extensively on the west coast of Scotland including a lot of solo paddling. It tracked fantastically well, almost never used the skeg. Bit of a wet ride up front. stability for me was fine when loaded, but it didnt like to be sitting still e.g. for photos, not as bad as an old nordkapp HM though. It was a lovely lively boat, needed a bit of bracing for smooth edged turns, in fact my low brace on the river improved no end due to this boat. If you cranked it right over it went round quite fast. Always willing to pick up a following sea and surf sweetly.

Problems were that in a big North West swell and clapotis mostly on the beam around areas like Handa Isle and Cape Wrath I could never get it to sit comfortably on its chines and paddling it became a bit of a scary experience. I felt like I could fall in at any moment without warning which is not at all normal for me. Not good when your on your own

My main reasons for selling were that I didnt like using it at work due to wear and tear and also I was risking life and limb solo landing it on rocky beaches and I was going to break either it or me.

Demo one you wont look back. Amazing boat.

Woody

Forgot to say HF is lold version of medium, the standard size nowadays.

AdyJ

Post by AdyJ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:51 pm

muzz wrote:
MarkR wrote: Just so as I understand you...do you mean the narrowness?

Cheers,
Yes, it's the narrowest boat ever to make it onto my list :-)

That's interesting Douglas, I'm hoping she's a similar weight. I'm going to try the boat on Friday and was out practising my roll yesterday.
Also of equal 'narrowness(!)' is the Bahiya, although longer, there do seem to be some similarities between it and the Sirius.

I paddled the Bahiya before opting for a new Quest. It was tippy, but seemed pretty fast and easy to get going. Felt more unstable when still but felt well balanced when edged. A magazine said that the Bahiya was something that you could grow into in terms of experience. In this vein, it seems again to be along the same lines as the Sirius.

BTW, and if you are interested, there is an ex-demo Bahiya down at Pyranha in Runcorn (the one I paddled). It's a good clean boat that doesn't seem to have seen much use (and has a fitted Silva 70P compass), and they're asking £1200 (and honestly, I'm not on commission!).

woody

Bahiya very different from sirius

Post by woody » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:40 pm

I would have to say that despite having similar dimensions on paper the sirius and bahiya paddle quite differently from each other. The Bahiya is a bit more of a handful in my opinion. Although very lively, quick and responsive in the right hands I was much happier in the Sirius.

Just my tuppeny worth
Woody

muzz

Post by muzz » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Paddled the boat today and wasn't put off by it's wobble. For me, coming from a very stable boat perspective, it wasn't that much more noticeable than the capella I tried. Glides through the water well and I managed a wee bit of jerky edging too. The boat is a year old and in immaculate condition.
Looking forward to the learning curve ahead of me.
Paid my deposit and will get the boat at the beginning of December.

Those in the know will suss out where I got it from when you see the photos. They also have a Vela, Capella 163 and a Quest.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Hello Muzz,

Well done!!! and SNAP!

Douglas :o)

Mike Marshall

Sirius!!

Post by Mike Marshall » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:11 pm

Good choice Muzz, you wont regret that.
Now get yourself a surf boat and youre sorted :-)

MikeM