The Hoff........ At Large

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark-Tozer

The Hoff........ At Large

Post by Mark-Tozer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:49 pm

For those of you yet to experience Freya Hoffmeister, here are some images from the recent Storm Gathering held on the Ross of Mull

Freya ran a number of rolling classes over the three days as well as doing some demo sessions on performance Inuit rolling for a local school group

Every student under Freya's tutelage came away beaming that they had accomplished several rolls as well as praising her calm and clear coaching manner

She was always first on the water and last off to ensure everyone got a far share of her time which takes some dedication in the turgid waters of Fionnphort harbour

Yes, Freya still likes to wear mostly black but on occasion, off the water, she was spotted wearing clothing of a less stealth like nature

As for being mad or terrifying, I don't think so. Magnificent and entertaining is more likely with the ability to be charming and Teutonic at the same time!

She also happens to make a really good folding kayak trolley

You can learn more about Freya through her blog and website

Images courtesy of Mark Tozer, Axel Schoevers and Simon Willis
Last edited by Mark-Tozer on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace The Elements with Greenland Or Bust

James F

Post by James F » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:57 pm

Sir,

I have recently visited the gallery section of Freya Hoffmeister hoping to see some pictures of camping and kelly kettle tea making. The images I found have left me confused as to the very nature of sea kayaking and in some ways, myself...

Is there a telephone counselling service available? Don't worry, premium rate numbers are not an issue.

Regards,
James

Mark-Tozer

The Hoff .......... Rolling Around

Post by Mark-Tozer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:05 pm

Here are a number of images taken by Simon Willis and myself during on the sessions Freya ran in the bay

Its seems almost appropriate that there is a baptismal theme in the images considering its was held across the water from Iona

Not quite the glamour of a swimming pool but still impressive

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:16 pm

James,

If you found that confusing, what did you make of this?............

Time to discover me true nature in the Menai Straits before deeper philosophical questions emerge
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

Wenley

Bachelorette's products.

Post by Wenley » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:52 pm

In June I bought from Freya her foldable kayak trolley. It keeps the kayak high from the ground, and it has not corroded a bit. Sehr Gut.

Frank Mcowski

Post by Frank Mcowski » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:31 pm

I am new to sea kayaking but I think I will fit in...

Frank Mcowski

Post by Frank Mcowski » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Surely one of nature's originals... (from Freya's website)

"I started paddling 10 years ago, when I got pregnant and had to stop my 10 years of skydiving. My son Helge was raised in the back hatch of my Feathercraft K1... "

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:52 pm

There is only one Hoff.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Michelle

Hoff

Post by Michelle » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:12 am

Lights my fire unlike the other one :)

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:17 am

James F wrote:Is there a telephone counselling service available? Don't worry, premium rate numbers are not an issue.

Regards,
James

0898 KAYAKER - I 've just set it up and I reckon I'll make a fortune... ;-)

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:22 am

Frank - if you're just getting into sea paddling, there are some valuable rolling resources on Dubside's site.

It includes the Tallit Paarlatsillugit Timaannarmik (Arms Held Crossed Against Chest - 11 points), the Ujaqqamik Tigumisserluni Kingukkut (Holding a Brick, Back to Front - 9 points) and the Scarecrow roll (no points at all - it's not traditional and it's just showboating).

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm sure that you'll be interested from a coaching point of view.

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:19 am

I'm speachless and a little aroused............she's definately THE Hoff. Not sure if it's the all black kit or the pool photo's on her website.....blimey whats happening to me i'm turning into a sea kayak perv!!!

Very interesting technique and my hat of to her, we need more people like that, for her teaching abilities and dedication...not for the photo's.

Couldn't help a wee giggle at frank mcowski photo.....lovin her boots aswell.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:41 pm

Went onto that Dubside site did,nt think he was as perty as the girl!!!!!!
Dave

Rockpool GT

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:50 pm

I am sure that Freya Hoffsit is a wonderful human being, a phenomenal paddler and an inspirational to all.

However, I haven't stopped giggling since I first saw her outfit. I guess I just need to grow up.

Brilliant.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Robin Ashcroft

Post by Robin Ashcroft » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:36 pm

Now then chaps........ she might just read this and this is the 21st Century!

Then again I'm minded to say "Ah Mr Bond - or should that Mrs/Miss/Ms Bond - we've been expecting you". With deference to Ernst Bloefield - the less respectable sibling of our well respected BBC Cricket Correspondent Henry (OK it's out I listen to Test Match Special).

And then again, and contrary to popular opinion - and numerous outings of 007 - black clothing isn't, in the least any use for concealment (special forces only ever employ it to intimidate hostage takers), in fact black clothing is actually highly visible, even at night.

The principle of concealment - or on the other hand being visible - is based around: movement, shape, shadow, shine, silhouette, contrast and coulour - and there's a reason why colours low down the list as the others will show your position more effectively than colour.

Lesson over - but as a final thought "whatever floats your boat". A cliche I know, but irresistable! I'm off to watch Bay Watch - or should that be Knight Rider.

Mark-Tozer

The Amazing Hoff...........

Post by Mark-Tozer » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:06 pm

Robin, you make a fair point...........

However, I recently received some e-mail correspondence from said lady and she is quite taken by all the attention

Believe you me, Freya's outlook on life is firmly rooted in the 21st Century and her reasons for wearing black are far removed from matters of concealment

She really is an amazing character with a great approach to paddling and global travel with a wicked sense of humour.

When you see the Hoff, six foot something in Reed gear, doing all that rolling and full on paddling, its nothing short of impressive

Knightrider she ain't but Freya wins over Baywatch anyday!

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:27 am

Mark-Tozer wrote:Knightrider she ain't but Freya wins over Baywatch anyday!

Let's not get carried away here. Whilst, I agree I'd rather watch piccies of Freya rolling her kayak over the Hoff running down a beach in slow-mo, we're forgetting the real reason we all watched baywatch:

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:30 pm

No, I still think Freya wins over Hasselhoff and his brigade of swimsuit clad maidens. Then again maybe I should watch TV more often rather than going paddling!

If nothing else, this thread has raised some eyebrows and folk know there's a new Hoff in town :0)
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:50 am

Please, please please stop putting pictures up of Ms Hoff................it's so very off putting and my work is suffering somewhat!

It's more my warped mind than anything else and yes i have tried to not look but it's very hard.

I heard that midnight blue or a deep navy blue makes for good night time camo??

Tried to do that headstand thingy in my boat in the pool last night...............not havin it i wasn't, will take a cushion for my bonce next week.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

Gareth Plas

Are you sure

Post by Gareth Plas » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:23 pm

My little brother told me about this Freda Hochzeit, and I just had to look. He said it would be more or less virus free if I looked at this, unlike the other ones.

She's an imposter!!

German? Never, look at those smooth, silky armpits.

And those pictures are all frauds, I have studied them for hours, they are the result of advanced digital technology.

I refer particularly to the one with the smurf in it.

I am going to Germany next month, I will no doubt bump into her, then she'll be in trouble, as she'll have to do those tricks for real.

Ha! we'll see.

Forgive the ramblings of an old man.

derrickam

more freya pics

Post by derrickam » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:13 pm

Hey,

I posted a few more pictures of Freya with her new Alaw today. I'm apparently not allowed to include the complete url but it's at:

kayakwisconsin.net/2006/10/weihnachtsmann.html

No wait, that's A.BACHelorette. . .

Mark-Tozer

Post by Mark-Tozer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:11 pm

What an educational thread this has become.................

The Hoff has lifted a few eyebrows of admiration with her skill and dedication with Greenland style rolling, caused debate about what she chooses to paddle (SOF v Alaw Bach, Carbon Fibre GS stick or Euro blades), made us think about her wardrobe choices and raised a few blood pressures with the now infamous 'swimming pool' shots

Well it looks like the rollercoaster ride isn't over yet and we're going to be seeing a lot more of Freya with the impending launch of a mini fleet of Greenland style Rockpool boats

Who knows where it will all end? Possibly in skin tight black, made by Reed!

I for one look forward to reading about the next round of Hoff shaped escapades

For now though I'd like to close this with these enchanting shots of one singularly glamourous sea kayaker. Enjoy :0)

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:12 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Frank Mcowski wrote:I am new to sea kayaking but I think I will fit in...

Frank...this one's for you...

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

soundoftheseagull

SMILE

Post by soundoftheseagull » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:37 pm

Sorry but it must be my age I did laugh again on reading and viewing this post, must get out more once the winds die down but the last picture brought a smile to my face it just conjured up a picture in my mind for an advert for safe sex!!!!!!
Dave

Rockpool GT

Mark-Tozer

Post by Mark-Tozer » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:18 pm

It would seem that the attention heaped upon the Hoff goes from strength to strength

Not only does she appear in the February 2007 edition of Sea Kayaker magazine but I believe Freya's gymnastics will feature quite heavily in This is The Sea 3

Also Freya is about to become the only dealer outside of Rockpool themselves to sell the new Rockpool Underground, Freya's signature Greenland style rolling kayak

I guess the Hoff phenomena isn't just limited to David

Freya Hoffmeister

Re: SMILE

Post by Freya Hoffmeister » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:47 pm

oo
Last edited by Freya Hoffmeister on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freya Hoffmeister

Re: SMILE

Post by Freya Hoffmeister » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:51 pm

oo
Last edited by Freya Hoffmeister on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundoftheseagull

LOL

Post by soundoftheseagull » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 am

A lady of such skills and with a fantastic sense of humour
Your humble servant
Dave

Rockpool GT

YvonneB

Hmmm

Post by YvonneB » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:20 pm

A fascinating thread this for anyone interested in what does it for gentleman kayakers of a certain age ...... I have a black Reed top but it hasn't worked yet, must work on the headstanding.