Storage issues^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
matt_ttuk

Storage issues^

Post by matt_ttuk » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:21 pm

I have just got a plastic sea kayak and I’m coming up with a way to store it. I think I am going to use some sort of rack system to lift it of the ground and support it where the welded bulkhead are located.

My question is am I best designing the rack to store it upside down (to reduce chance of boat filling with water) or the right way up. I will certainly be covering it with a tarp and will probably remove the hatch covers to stop them ageing.

Matt

Chris Bolton

Upside down

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:29 pm

My suggestion would be upside down. The you can leave the hatches on (they won't get any uv light that way up and should stay cool) which will keep out the snails, etc. Also it will be supported on the deck, so if it does dent at the support point despite your precautions it won't change the hull shape through the water. As you say, it also reduces the chance of it filling with water.

Chris

Carl M

Post by Carl M » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:09 am

My understanding is that kayaks are best kept on their side. The complete sea kayakers handbook gives a picture of the sort of rack you are planning. I have just completed one for myself.

As far as hatches are concerned be careful about air expansion / contraction a closed hatch can cause the air pressure to deforem the hull especially if the sun shines on it. My plan is to get a waterproof kayak cover from Brookbank (apparently out of stock until November) which should be bug and leaf proof so I can leave the hatches off.

James F

Post by James F » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:51 am

I spent all day yesterday making a rack...

It cost me £38 in timber from Homebase. I've made it the right size to fit a standard fence panel (£14.99) on the front if I want to panel it in at some point. I may roof it as well to stop water getting into the cockpits.

The holes are 40cm high by 70cm wide and easily take all manner of boat (not on their side though).

The two diagonal bars on the sides are important - they stop the thing from rocking backwards and forwards. Also, though you can't really see in the picture, I made joints for all the connections to give stability and so that there is no downward pressure supported just by screws.

Thanks for the opportunity to waffle on. My wife won't listen to it anymore.
Last edited by James F on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:11 am

That's an impressive structure..................

May I be so bold as to ask what function the circular device performs?

My thoughts include a UV monitor, weather gauge or a timer for how long you've spent with the boats and not indoors doing a wife's bidding :0)
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

James F

Post by James F » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:28 am

Thank you for your kind words. The circular object is a thermometer.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:40 am

A thermometer eh?.............. decoration or practical purpose?

Also, your thoughts on treating the wood with any kind of weather protection?

Had a new fence put up at the beginning of the summer and the nice man replied to a similar question 'no worries mate, the natural oils will see you right'. What followed was a really hot summer and split fence posts once the oils had dried up

Persuading the wife to attach anything to the fence now will take some convincing
Last edited by Sharky on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:54 am

Where do the open boat, surf boat and playboat go?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:44 pm

MarkR wrote:Where do the open boat, surf boat and playboat go?
Play boat is in the van. Open boat is on the roof of the van. Makes for quicker getaways.

Bunty Hargreaves

Post by Bunty Hargreaves » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:12 pm

The circular object is a thermometer
... is the correct answer, but I could also have accepted hatch cover or table top.
Bunty

waltfos

Storage

Post by waltfos » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:31 pm

A rach like FredFs may be obatined from an old site where ther hase been a battery racking system installed and/or being taken out

If you know of any Electrical Engineers thay may be able to obtain one FOC from a site they may be working on prior to it going on a skip.

They are metal 20 mm tube frames and similar shelving the inter teir height is around 350/400 mm.

You can the padlock one of the shelving posts to the uprights top and bottom of the shelves both sides where the kayak[s] narrow at bothe ends to stop any sticky fingers sliding your kayaks out and from borrowing your kayaks ,

I trust this helps

Walt

Goldspoon

Post by Goldspoon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:06 am

Nice rack BUT...

You will very soon have horrible dents where the sea kayaks sit on the wooden "bars".

Let the boats sit on a flat surface i.e. put ply in between the bars so the kayaks slide in and our from the end and sit on a flat surface.

I used to be a part of P&H and we always stored kayaks on end (vertical) or on flat boards. NEVER on thin cross section bars (in warm weather ythey will dent VERY quickly - glass and poly).

AdyJ

Re: Storage issues

Post by AdyJ » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:42 pm

matt_ttuk wrote:I have just got a plastic sea kayak and I’m coming up with a way to store it. I think I am going to use some sort of rack system to lift it of the ground and support it where the welded bulkhead are located.

My question is am I best designing the rack to store it upside down (to reduce chance of boat filling with water) or the right way up. I will certainly be covering it with a tarp and will probably remove the hatch covers to stop them ageing.

Matt
I've got a Perception Carolina and am furously putting wedge aside for a composite craft (not yet decided which).

As I have no indoor storage long enough for a kayak, I decided that I needed to built a small(!) kayak shed. To this end, I cobbled together some re-claimed wood (from a skip), a couple of fence panels, some tongue and groove flooring (for a roof!!), some of B & Q's cheapest scant wood, some smooth finishing strips, a box of screws and a roll of felt!

No points for joinery skills at all, but the result is thus:

http://www.japp.co.uk/kayak/shed1.jpg
http://www.japp.co.uk/kayak/shed2.jpg

Next, I need to put end panels on, and decide how I'm going to cover the front for a) ease of access, and b) security!

James F

Post by James F » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 pm

That is a highly commendable rack, AdyJ. A lovely use of space, evident fine workmanship, cleverly proportioned to adapt to various vessels; a real work of art and a tribute to your can-do, power tool-weilding, manliness. And you stole all the wood too - great!

Further to Goldspoon's cynical and cruel aspersions about my rack - I can't believe you have the cheek - if the baby Jesus read your barbs he would cry - shame on you.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:32 am

James, after a year I am interested to know how your 'M' shaped boats are holding up. Does the corrugated hull make for easier paddling in water with waves than on the flat?

James F

Post by James F » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:52 pm

I've just gone and checked and our plastic sea kayaks look like Ws, the air underneath them an M.

You win this time, Goldspoon.