Tricky Ticky

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
steve-m

Tricky Ticky

Post by steve-m » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:57 am

On our recent Scottish paddling trip I managed to pick up 2 sheep ticks, one whilst camping on Raasay and the other probably whilst camping on the Sandaig Islands. This was a new experience for me and on return, following up on some lurid tales of Lyme’s disease, I emailed NHS direct and got some useful advice. Thankfully I seem to have avoided picking up the dreaded infection but meanwhile I have now ordered and obtained some Tick hooks and Tweezers
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... protection
which I will now be including in my first Aid Kit. These are only advertised for use on pets, presumably as they have not done the extensive testing necessary to describe them as human medical treatments, but ticks are ticks and if there is chance these will remove ticks I’ll give them a try.

The advice is to keep your skin covered and that is all very well but when you are camping out and the high fibre muesli initiates those deep rumblings you just have to bare all and that seems to be when the ticks leapt in and got me!

A recent radio item indicated that ticks are on the increase possibly related to increasing deer numbers. I could not find any references to Ticks in the Almanac on this site so I have listed the references I found below, if anyone wants to put these up on the information page please feel free.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advic ... /ticks.htm

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000337/

http://www.bestbets.org/cgi-bin/bets.pl?record=00375
Steve-M Shropshire

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:47 am

Hello Steve,
I have been using the O'Tom tick hook with great success for two years now. I think the little forks, that you slide under the tick and then rotate, work so much better than tweezers. I have probably removed about 30 ticks with it from myself, family, friends and the dog and in each case the tick has come out easily and complete which reduces the chance of any infection, not just the more serious Lyme disease.
Douglas

Skerryvore

Post by Skerryvore » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:10 am

Hi Steve, Like you until this year I had not been aware of getting ticks but since finding 11 after a camp on bay of pigs in Jura have found at least one or two from each camp this year.
Like Douglas I now have the O Tom remover(most vets have them £3.00) and have found it works well and always removes the head which is very important, advice now is NOT to put meths,vassoline over the tick to suffocate it as yes it will kill it but in the process it will be sick into your bloodstream putting you more at risk.
With kayakers involved in so much wild camping I agree a list of web sites with information would be very useful.

Alan

www.otom.com

www.bada-uk.org

www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:44 pm

There was a TV ad run in the last couple of years for a tick removal pen type thing for use on humans (although quite why we should need anything different to our pets to remove the same parasite I couldn't say) - you should be able to get it from a pharmacy.

Jim

glupton

Post by glupton » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:57 pm

My wife seems to be a bit sheep tick magnet. She returned from one short camping trip with around 20 of the little swines on her, I am now a dab hand at removing them without tools. The key is to do it quickly and twist them the right way - anti-clockwise. Deer ticks are the ones you have got to watch out for.

Bruxy

Post by Bruxy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:18 am

Alan Murray wrote:... but since finding 11 after a camp on bay of pigs in Jura have found at least one or two from each camp this year.
Of course, the best solution I've found is to camp with someone that the ticks find more delicious than me ... eh Al?

DavidP

Post by DavidP » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40 pm

A superior alternative to the OTOM is the Trix Tick Remover.

Having used both on our dog, I can say with some authority that the Trix device is much easier to use and more reliable in removing the whole tick.

The Trix is a clever device that even looks as though it should work unlike the Otom device that is basically a piece of plastic with a slot in it! The trix has a self adjusting Carbon Fibre lasso that grips the tick whatever the size.

I would not recommend this tool for very small larval ticks, but then I wouldnt use any tool for such small ticks - tweezers are the better option.

It always amazes me how much the Otom tool is talked about when there are so many better devices out there and all are better value for money. The hooks must cost about less than 10p to make but I have seen then selling for over £4!! OTOM must have a good marketing department!

steve-m

Post by steve-m » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:12 pm

DavidP wrote:A superior alternative to the OTOM is the Trix Tick Remover. It always amazes me how much the Otom tool is talked about when there are so many better devices out there and all are better value for money. The hooks must cost about less than 10p to make but I have seen then selling for over £4!! OTOM must have a good marketing department!
Anything made of plastic costs just pence in terms of raw materials, what you are paying for is the idea, the design and the technique. Anything that works and only costs a few pounds is fine by me. Just a hook in a piece of plastic? exactly, that is the whole point, neat, simple but effective.

One of our group had a friend who picked up Lymes disease and the effects are dire and to be avoided at all costs. I have used the O'Tom Tick hook now on several occassions and it has always worked fine and so far none of us has picked up an infection. Have you tried using the O'Tom hook and had problems? so far it has always worked fine for me. If this other device works as well then thats great, the more ways there are of avoiding Tick borne infections the better for all of us.
Steve-M Shropshire

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:49 am

The idea of the otom is to cause the tick to realease its grip by twisting it which it cant resist. Pulling tweezers and lasoos cause the tick to dig in and vomit its stomach contents into your blood stream together with Lyme disease. Otom also include a smaller hook for larval ticks which I found very effective on a recent trip to Jura.

More here.

Yes generally I love carbon fiber gadgets but I will stick to the otom. Brilliant design and worth every penny. Trouble is, in these days of peer exchange of mp3s etc we seem to have lost the concept of the value of intellectual property and design.

Douglas