waterproof camera cases^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
glupton

waterproof camera cases^

Post by glupton » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:58 pm

hi, anyone got any ideas or suggestions for a waterproof case for a canon 5d so that i can take pictures when i'm out paddling. looking for the kind i can put the camera in then take pictures, i.e. not a pelicase or a drybag.

cheers
george

Mike Marshall

Canon 5D

Post by Mike Marshall » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:30 pm

Glupton,
Check Douglas Wilcox's links.
On the St Kilda trip recently with him, he had his 5D and L series lens in a cracking Ortleib SLR waterproof bag. Sliding dry zip and instant access off the deck elastics in calm seas. About £60??
Superb piece of kit. Others from the trip have also purchased them since.
It is also waterproof and tested, just ask Douglas!!!

MikeM

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:53 pm

On second thoughts, having looked up that camera, (£985 for the hard case + £120 to £150 for the dome port to go over the lens) maybe not such a good suggestion.

Quest 129

Re: Canon 5D

Post by Quest 129 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:03 pm

Mike Marshall wrote:Glupton,
Check Douglas Wilcox's links.
On the St Kilda trip recently with him, he had his 5D and L series lens in a cracking Ortleib SLR waterproof bag. Sliding dry zip and instant access off the deck elastics in calm seas. About £60?

MikeM
Can you remember the name of the place he got it. I think it was somewhere in the Lake District?

Quest 129

Re: Canon 5D

Post by Quest 129 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:03 pm

Quest 129 wrote:
Mike Marshall wrote: Check Douglas Wilcox's links.
On the St Kilda trip recently with him, he had his 5D and L series lens in a cracking Ortleib SLR waterproof bag. Sliding dry zip and instant access off the deck elastics in calm seas. About £60?

MikeM
Can you remember the name of the place he got it. I think it was somewhere in the Lake District?

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 pm

There are cheaper housings for SLRs - link

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:45 pm

CaptainSensible wrote:There are cheaper housings for SLRs - link
There's one potential problem with Ewa-Marine cases for the 5D. All the normal size cases have a maximum filter size of 72 mm - the only one which accepts 77/82 mm is a huge thing which also accommodates a flash. Guess what size most of Canon's best lenses use? You got it, 77 mm.
Steve Balcombe

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Hello George, the Ortlieb Aqua Zoom camera bag is a superb addition to deck clutter. I have tested it very thorougly. I made a point of falling in, fluffing a roll, bailing out then doing a reentry roll, all with thre 5D safely inside. On a long trip I put some silica gel sachets inside just to keep damp at bay.

£51.29 from Wiggle.

Douglas :o)

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:07 pm

Heh - it would seem that you need to spend a four figure sum if you want to do waterproof wide angle stuff with the 5D (and anything else - the EF-S zooms use 77mm filters). Assuming you don't want Douglas' Ortileb etc.

Perhaps you could use one of the inexpensive wide angle primes and use a smaller aperture to compensate for their soso performance wide open; there should be plenty of light to allow that in good weather.

glupton

Post by glupton » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Douglas, you got enough clutter there? are you not worried about dropping £2500 worth of camera kit into the water? personally, i know i would drop it in the drink first time out of the bag.

it looks like i might just have to get the sticky back plastic and blue peter badge out for this one. i have heard that they can be fashioned using one of those see through dry bags, a lexan lens port and a bit of imagination.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:13 pm

Do you find yourself more likely to drop a £2500 camera than a £250 camera then? I introduced Douglas to the Ortileb bag and my F65 has never come to grief in several years of using it out of the bag - well it got splashed a bit in the Grand Canyon because I got a bit relaxed about putting it back in the bag, and on one of the bodies (the same one I think) the speedlight has packed up, but I almost never use that.

Seriously I looked at a full underwater case and decided they were way too much. It was possible a few years ago to get an aquapac or similar with a hard lens port that would nominally take any camera, chances are the bag isn't big enough for an SLR and then there is the lens issue that Steve mentions....

I also looked at full dive enclosures and decided they were too bulky and heavy to use above the water.

That doesn't really help does it? There is definitely a market for a surface dry system for SLRs that isn't currently being addressed!

JIM

glupton

Post by glupton » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:49 pm

Jim, I would drop the £250 camera too, or the £2.50 camera for that matter. I know how clumsy i can be, so that is why i want to protect my camera gear.

There is a definate gap in the market .

The ewa-marine flexible cases look like they might be the best commercial option currently available - but they still are not ideal.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:57 pm

George>
are you not worried about dropping £2500 worth of camera kit into the water?
Hello George, the short answer is no or I wouldn't do it.

As soon as I saw Jim's Ortleib I knew it was just right!

What's the alternative? It's definitly not an Optio. We had three of these nasty little cameras with us, all three of them packed in. I lost some really good shots round the far side of one of the outer stacks as I had lent my daughter my favoured Sony U60. The camera had steamed up inside.

Douglas

Goldspoon

Post by Goldspoon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:11 am

Pelican case on deck. Whip non-waterproof camera out, take pic, put camera back. Check out www.seakayakgreece.com. Rod takes all his pics this way. No water droplets on lens is biggest benefit.

Only downside is cannot use camera in bigger waves, swells.

Simple, effective. Some risk but he says he has never lost a camera in five years from water damage.

Just an alternative for those who might forget the cheaper simple method :-)

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:00 am

Douglas Wilcox wrote: What's the alternative? It's definitly not an Optio. We had three of these nasty little cameras with us, all three of them packed in.
Douglas, remember that's just personal preference. I've had an Optio Wp for over a year and it hasn't failed me once. I've had 4 or 5 articles published in Paddles, and every one of the photos has been taken with the very same Optio. They may not be the world's best photos, but that's down to the photographer, not the camera.

I also know plenty of other people who use Optios- with a good deal of success.

Mark G recently bought an Optio W10, and has taken it to Canada (with Mark R etc) so we'll see in a weeks' time how his shots compare to the other guys' pictures, I guess.

Personally, I would reccommend the Pentax Optio range- compact, affordable, easy to use and takes good pictures.
Zoe Newsam
Sea Kayak Guide & Mountain Leader

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:48 am

Hello Zoe, I thought the compositions of your photos were excellent but you will take much better photos with any number of cameras that are the same price as the optio or cheaper. A dry bag on deck and one of the excellent Fuji wideangle zooms would be an awesome combination.

A recent comparative test of the optio in one of the photo magazines with the similar Olympus came down in favour of the Olympus and also mentioned the various technical and ergonomic limitations of this camera. I will now add unreliability to my own findings of using this camera. In the Outer Hebrides all three Optios in the group steamed up and 2 failed completely despite never having been immeresed. In contrast my Sony U60 survived repeated dives to about 2 metres while snorkelling.

My judgement of this camera is based on using it for 18 months while kayaking and while having access to several other water proof and non waterproof cameras. Yes its a personal opinion but I will say it again, the optio is the worst most, disappointing camera I have ever bought.

I know a great many people who are also dissapointed by their optios because of lens smearing, difficult to use with cold hands etc etc. There were actually 4 optios on our trip but one owner didn't even bother to use his. If you find your optio easy to use you will be amazed how much better other cameras are. Little things like a viewfinder and ergonomic big buttons help a great deal!

If consumers didn't complain do you think Skodas would be as good as they are today?

My daughter has just started taking photos on our trips. she used both the optio and a nonwaterproof 7 year old 3mp Sony P1. She much preferred the P1.

Jules>
Just an alternative for those who might forget the cheaper simple method :-)
I think my own and now my daughter's experience supports Jules point. A cheap non waterproof camera in a dry bag is better than an expensive so called waterproof camera.

Douglas :o)

tpage

Post by tpage » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:04 pm

I use and old 3mp Nikon (non-waterproof) in a pelicase and a new 6Mp Optio WPi in the BA pocket. Guess which one takes the best pictures?

I was really excited about getting the Optio last year after the rave reviews in Paddles Magazine. I bought the Optio to use in conditions when I couldnt risk taking the Nikon out of the pelicase, namely rough seas. However, rough weather normally equates with lower light conditions- and in less than perfect light conditions the Optio is useless. Im hoping that other camera manufacturer's will catch on and start competing with Pentax for this market.

Its really funny to go on a river of sea paddling trip with people you either havnt paddled with for a while or not at all and see them all pull their Optios from their BAs (SNAP).
Tony

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:43 pm

Has anyone actually tried using one of the Ewa-Marine cases/bags/glove pupits thingys?

How easy are they to use, can you operate things like aperture rings etc?

They look from the photos like they will be very stiff; are they?

Also how easy is it to get your hand in to the glove whilst on the water?

My cameras fully manual so I would have to be able to focus set the aperture and shutter speed whilst inside the bag.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:06 am

Hello Owen I have got one for my Minolta A2. It is very bulky and difficult to operate camera controls. It is very effectively waterproof. I have not used it very much.
Douglas.

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:50 am

I agree with Douglas about the Ewa Marine cases. I bought one a few years ago for my Olympus OM2 but found it extremely difficult to operate the controls, especially anything on the left hand side of the camera. It was certainly far too fiddly to use in a kayak as well as making the camera very bulky.

Other options include a high quality compact in a dedicated underwater housing. I got my Canon Powershot S80 (now discontinued) and its' housing for about £400. It does almost everything my 35mm SLRs and Nikonos used to do and produces sharper results. Whilst being very easy to use in a boat, it still has full manual control if neccesary. And whilst it's securely tied on, if I did manage to drop it over the side, the camera in its' housing floats. I used it for the pics on this thread,

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... mull+magic

Andrea

AdyJ

Re: waterproof camera cases

Post by AdyJ » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:56 pm

glupton wrote:hi, anyone got any ideas or suggestions for a waterproof case for a canon 5d so that i can take pictures when i'm out paddling. looking for the kind i can put the camera in then take pictures,
I use a Ewa Marine U-AXP with a Nikon D2X and sometimes a D100 body.

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ewa_ ... index.html

It takes a bit of getting used to, they are bulky and you are limited to the lenses that you can fit. With a large DSLR like the 5D or D2X, getting the beast into the bag is a bugger, but once in feels safe and gives you a bit of confidence! I can get my 24-85mm 15-30mm into it without too much fuss. You'd have a job getting longer or any larger 'L' series lenses in there though.

They are very well made, and work very well. The investment is a drop in the ocean (sorry) compared to the price of your SLR, and is a fraction of the cost of a solid housing.

If you check the site out, you'll find plenty of detailed information. The site lists the U-AXP as the fitment for your 5D body too.

http://www.ewa-marine.com/english/index.htm

schapmande13

Waterproof cases

Post by schapmande13 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:55 am

Hi,
I have a canon powershot A40, I know its not a top of the range camera or that new, it is for this reason you are able to get the canon waterproof cases off ebay for a relitaively cheap price, I got one for about £30.
That is the best advice I can give!!!! The only disadvantage is they are quite bulkey.
You can now buy some new cameras from shops such as jessops that don't need waterproof cases, they just look like an ordinary digi camera but they are waterproof (Only to 3 metres) but if you go below 3 metres when kayaking you have a problem!!!!!!!

Hope this helps

Steve Chapman

seismicscot

Optios are p*sh!

Post by seismicscot » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:37 pm

As someone who has criticised the Optio WP before, I'll add my voice to that of Douglas in saying that is a very disappointing camera. I have persisted in keeping it in the front pocket of my PFD for the last year and I am constantly disappointed with its performance - slow start up, crap autofocus, woeful video quality.......... And now it is begining to die a slow death, requiring a 'hard re-boot' (open the camera and pop the battery in and out) to fix ever more frequent software freezes! Very frustrating and not a patch on the old Optio 30/40WR.

Cheers,

Clark
Clark Fenton

arrowthedog

Optio

Post by arrowthedog » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:33 pm

I must rush to the defence of the Optio WPi. I bought one for my husband and we have both been extremely impressed with it - I really can't understand comments criticising its speed. We are both very keen photographers and have 'serious' SLR cameras. However, the compact size of the WPi, its instant accessibility, one-handed operation, and waterproofness means that you will actually use it! SLRs may take better photos, but surely it's better to take photos of slightly lower quality rather than never get your SLR out of the bag. Added to this you can probably pick one up for a reasonable price £170-ish rather than risking £2500 of precious equipment.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:21 pm

Douglas Wilcox wrote:Hello George, the Ortlieb Aqua Zoom camera bag is a superb addition to deck clutter. I have tested it very thorougly. I made a point of falling in, fluffing a roll, bailing out then doing a reentry roll, all with thre 5D safely inside. On a long trip I put some silica gel sachets inside just to keep damp at bay.

£51.29 from Wiggle.
...and now 10% off that, with free delivery available. I just bought one.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Owen

Post by Owen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 pm

andreadawn wrote: Other options include a high quality compact in a dedicated underwater housing. I got my Canon Powershot S80 (now discontinued) and its' housing for about £400. It does almost everything my 35mm SLRs and Nikonos used to do and produces sharper results.
Andrea
I decided to go this route.

Jessops were selling the Canon Powershot A540 for £230 and the waterproof case for £140.

Cameras under water were selling the two as a package for £300; so I got one. It's fantastic.

They've just dropped the price to £273.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:09 pm

MarkR wrote:
Douglas Wilcox wrote:Hello George, the Ortlieb Aqua Zoom camera bag is a superb addition to deck clutter. I have tested it very thorougly. I made a point of falling in, fluffing a roll, bailing out then doing a reentry roll, all with thre 5D safely inside. On a long trip I put some silica gel sachets inside just to keep damp at bay.

£51.29 from Wiggle.
...and now 10% off that, with free delivery available. I just bought one.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk
Unfortunately the UK suppliers (Lyon, I think) are apparently out of stock, won't be available for at least a fortnight.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

CCL

Post by CCL » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:04 pm

did you check to see if Needlesports had one in stock Mark? I bought mine from there earlier this year and given the speed that it arrived, I'd guess that they had it in stock. I do think they may have been a couple of pounds more expensive than wiggle though.

Claire

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:17 pm

Well, I've ordered now. I don't collect my new SLR for a week or so, anyway...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK