Contact lenses + seawater = trouble?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
CaptainSensible

Contact lenses + seawater = trouble?^

Post by CaptainSensible » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:42 am

Are there any reasons why (daily disposable) contact lenses would be a bad choice for a sea kayaker with poor eyesight?

(the alternative is a nice pair of polarised prescription sunglasses, but this would be more expensive than contact lenses + off-the-shelf sport sunglasses)

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:52 am

I have beenusing daily disposables for a fair whole now for all my kayaking.

This includes penty of time surfing and playing at the local saltwater tidal playsopt with a tiny amount of sea kayaking (as well as plenty of fresh water action when it rains).

I have had no problems whatsoever with them and have only lost one lens in the whole time of using them (it was in big surf and I forgot to shut my eyes quickly enough when taking a big beating) and as I always carry a couple of spare lenses and a bit of soap (changing lenses with dirty hands sucks big time) this was not a problem.

they should be ideal for what you want.

Denzil

JOHNF

Post by JOHNF » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:05 pm

No problem using them for surfing or on multi day trips.

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:40 pm

I've had no problems with them. It's good that you can take some spares along just incase you do lose one. Instead of having to carry on the rest of the day with one eye shut to workout where the be'jesus you are!

In particularly heavy surf etc i do have some goggles as a back up, look a bit stupid...or is that stupider im my case...think their called seaspecs?? There is a thread on here for them anyway.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Surf or Die wrote:In particularly heavy surf etc I do have some goggles as a back up, look a bit stupid...or is that stupider im my case...think their called seaspecs?? There is a thread on here for them anyway.
Really? It was days of heavy surf that first made me start using lenses.
I just got fed up with the continual loss of glasses/ sports glasses (the ones with fancy staps making them so called impossable to loose) / goggles etc. and decided that lensses would be a far cheeper alternative.

Denzil

p.s. there are many more advantage to lenses apart from the cost compared to loosing glasses but that is the one that got me into them.

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:56 pm

Sorry, think i was talking guff in that last thread. I wear one a day disposables for surfing and ww stuff and take a couple setts of spares with me.

This saves on me having to use my monthlys.

In heavy surf i have gone with these goggles aswell, i have a thing about not closing my eyes...yes it would be cheaper and more sensible but for some reason i just don't or do it too late!!
Andy

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

Chris Bolton

lenses

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:05 pm

I too have used daily disposables for paddling for years, and still do even though I no longer use lenses day to day.

My optician recommended disposables for anywhere I might get water in my eyes, as it avoids the risk with multi-use lenses that any bugs (from the water) on the lens multiply during overnight storage.

I also found that some brands of daily are better than others; the first one I tried tended to move around my eye if I got a water splash in it, the next brand I tried have been fine.

Chris

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:57 am

What brand are you on now?
Andy

Chris Bolton

Brand

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:26 pm

Surf or Die wrote:What brand are you on now?
Now I'm on Daysoft.

I don't know if that's because they are better than the ones I had before, or just more compatible with the shape of my eyes. (Which is why I don't want to mention the first brand, as it may not be anything wrong with them.)

Chris

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:02 am

Personally I use Accuview (sp?) Daily Disposables and get on fine with these.

Denzil