Milos^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Goldspoon

Milos^

Post by Goldspoon » Tue May 30, 2006 9:44 am

Kalimera (Good morning :-)

Some photos from Milos below. Greece is magic, very friendly (we noticed how friendly after driving thru France, Spain and Italy).

My girlfriend and I have been here a month now… only four months to go…. helping Rod guide groups (www.seakayakgreece.com).

Milos is an amazing island, population approx. 5,000. There is one postman on the island and no street names or numbers (postie just knows everybody). Hardly any road markings so driving can be interesting. Many Greeks have very loud voices and have seemingly huge arguments all day (but it's them just having a chat - often in the middle of the road). ALL shops open once in the morning and once in the evening (some days they only do mornings and Sunday they all close). Midday everybody goes to sleep (siesta) between about 2 and 5 and the place is literally deserted. Kids are all up until midnight ish (due to recharging at siesta). Evening meal is at about 9pm. Everybody does everything very slowly and everybody knows each other. Rod collects urchins and swaps them for melons. Donkeys really do pass through the little streets loaded with produce. Plenty of scooters zipping around. No crime, no drunkeness (except old men on Ouzo and they just wobble quietly home). Leave your house door or car door open - no problem. We have a little apartment (with broadband!).

Guiding groups is great fun. Biggest group so far is 14 – all from a Swiss boarding school and all teenage males from various countries… so that was a riot (six capsizes, more due to “ramming each other at high speed” rather than wind or wave). Usual group size 6-9. Typical day is: paddle for an hour stop for an hour, paddle for an hour stop for two hours (eat and snorkel) paddle for an hour and a half… finish. No big winds so far although tomorrow is a forecast of F6 so we are going to the surf beach then for a trip out to an exposed island (have a more experienced group this week).

Okay… got to go… time for a little siesta...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 30, 2006 10:54 am

Nice. Looks like hard work - not! Mike.

Mike Marshall

Milos

Post by Mike Marshall » Tue May 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Its all in the name....GOLDSPOON!!!

You lucky people, have a great time!!!!

MikeM

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue May 30, 2006 6:20 pm

These Sea Kayak Milos chaps are supereb.

We (lambs) were next to them at the NEC, and they let us use one of their sockets all weekend. Top People :)

Tom

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Wed May 31, 2006 11:12 pm

Julian,

Good to see your enjoying yourself and making use of your qualifications. Most envious as I'm now driving a desk for living Monday to Friday. Enjoy the summer season and pass my regards to your other half. Don't over do the tan ;-)

Will you actually come back to North Wales for the winter?? What are the things on the washing line in the photo - octopus?

CaileanMac

Mike Marshall

Post by Mike Marshall » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 am

Cailean,
Its the 13 squid he owes someone!!!

MikeM

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:38 pm

Mike Marshall wrote:Cailean,
Its the 13 squid he owes someone!!!

MikeM
My word that is an awfull pun, well done.

Reminds me of a joke about a shark and an unwell squid that I won't go in to.

Denzil

Goldspoon

Post by Goldspoon » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm

Cailean asked if it is Octopus on the line...

Either that or a family with a strange underwear fetish :-) They are Octopus I believe. The big fish we found dead. A fisherman said it was still very fresh as gills were red. The lad holding it is from the Carribean and he filleted it and the group took it to a restaurant and asked them to cook it for them (14 of them). Have not seen them since then (they got on a ferry after the restaurant) so hope they are all still alive!

What was funny is that the Coastguard arrived at the beach and had a a bit of a rant in Greek. Nobody understood them (Rod had gone to fetch the trailer). Turns out that there is no fishing at this time of year. "But it was already dead when we found it" is not easily believable in any language. At least the onus would be on them to suggest how we might have caught that whopper from a kayak! Looking at the picture it looks like it was something in the seaweed it was eating.

A local fisherman said that fish sometimes commit suicide. Perhaps he was ostricised from the shoal or something...
Last edited by Goldspoon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goldspoon

Post by Goldspoon » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:12 pm

CaileanMac wrote:Julian,

Will you actually come back to North Wales for the winter??
CaileanMac
Probably. It is tempting to make a home here though...