My First Kayak overnight trip^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
naefearjustbeer

My First Kayak overnight trip^

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 22, 2006 12:24 am

I have done plenty wild camping in the past on the mainland but this is the first time I have done it under paddle power and it was on an uninhabited Island. It gave it that extra sence of remoteness which I really enjoyed, Even if the snipe whirring away all night kept me awake. The photos were taken from dry land as my non waterproof camera was safely stowed whilst paddling.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon May 22, 2006 12:37 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 am

No problem. This is where we camped
If anyone knows what kind of plant/flower this is can you let me know as none of us had seen one like it before, Growing on west facing slopes only?
Spotted some vandalism though :-(

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Mon May 22, 2006 1:54 am

That looks like a great trip Donnie, bit of a carry up to that site though!

Phil

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 22, 2006 8:44 am

Tthe kayaks were pulled up beyond the high tide mark and tied. My 80 litre dry bag with rucksack straps came in handy I only had to make one trip up the hill with my tent, sleeping bag and all my other gear. It was up a narrow wet sheep track that wound its way up to the top. The others had 2 or 3 trips up and down

alan2222

Post by alan2222 » Mon May 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Good to see you Caithness boys getting a bit further afield even if it's only to the next county! I seem to remember one of the Caithness kayaking gurus telling me that the vandalism had been caused by a bunch of southern hippies who'd set up home in the abandoned houses on the island and ended up using the wood in the houses as fuel. A crying shame - and we can't even blame the internet for spreading details of the location!

The plant you found is bugle (Ajuga reptans).

I'll maybe see you on the Cruise if Bob lets me come again.

Cheers

Alan
Pas de lieu Rhone que nous

RichA

Post by RichA » Mon May 22, 2006 3:55 pm

I thought you said it was uninhabited! Or were the buildings empty?

Great photos, thanks.

I think I fancy an overnight kayaking voyage somewhere now too!

alan2222

Post by alan2222 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:46 pm

alan2222 wrote: The plant you found is bugle (Ajuga reptans).
Ooops - should have said Ajuga pyramidalis - reptans is carpet bugle

Cheers

Alan
Pas de lieu Rhone que nous

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 22, 2006 5:00 pm

RichA wrote:Image

I thought you said it was uninhabited! Or were the buildings empty?

Great photos, thanks.

I think I fancy an overnight kayaking voyage somewhere now too!
The buildings were far from empty. You had to duck to get in the doors as the years of sheep shit has built the floors up so that I at 5 foot 7 was banging my head on the rafters. The houses are all beyond repair as we were also told that a hippy comune moved in in the 60s and stripped the wood to burn and took slates from the roofs. I suppose they moved out when the houses were completely unfit to live in. So its not just modern day neds that cause problems.

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Mon May 22, 2006 5:18 pm

Beautiful piccies.

I wish the weather had been like that when we were there a few years ago. It's a lovely place.

Andrea

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 22, 2006 5:53 pm

We were lucky with the weather, but the swells that were coming in stopped us from going all the way round the island. There were 3 foot breaking waves coming through the gap in the bottom picture that you posted, I caught a couple and it was quite an experience surfing a fully laden sea kayak (frightening). We stopped after we realise how close too submerged rocks we were. I loved the little harbour.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon May 22, 2006 7:03 pm

Stunning photos, Naefear. I should retire. I used to visit the area in the 70's and to my loss have not been back since. Did you hear any corncrakes during the night? There used to be some just a little further west, just about here.
Douglas :o)

MikeB

Re: My First Kayak overnight trip

Post by MikeB » Mon May 22, 2006 7:43 pm

naefearjustbeer wrote:I have done plenty wild camping in the past on the mainland but this is the first time I have done it under paddle power and it was on an uninhabited Island.
Good, isn't it? Great pics. Mike

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 22, 2006 11:00 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments about my photos. I am a sort of point and shoot sort of photographer with a small pocket sized compact camera so to get complements from folk with fancy cameras and skills is great. No corncrakes It was the snipe that we heard all night but I think I know where you mean. I have never paddled there but have walked a bit.
There were lots of Bonxies (ask a shetlander) I have never seen so many before, must of been dozens flying around at one time. None of them attacked us so it was ok as they are quite a big brute of a bird. We also had greylag geese nesting not far away. Some little birds with yellow on them with a white rump and saw some eider ducks too.
I must get my bird books out and start refreshing my memory about whats what in the sky and water as most birds are little brown ones or a big blacks one etc etc.
A few people have asked if we were ringers when we landed back on the mainland I thought that meant passing off stolen cars as genuine models. Aparently it is a popular place for ringers. I am not so sure if I like the idea of it (I did have to google to see exactly what it was all about)

I have a few more pics on the link below

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/ ... interval=3

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 pm

Cheers, I've enjoyed figuring out where you were. It's not outside the realms of possibility that I'll make it there myself, later this year.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 22, 2006 11:34 pm

Midge repellant is a must later in the year. We were lucky that there was a nice steady breeze all weekend to keep the little blighters at bay.
Did you work out the location from the pictures quite easily. Or did you use other methods? I deliberately did not mention where it is beacause of the other discussions in some of the the other threads. Not because I am against telling people where it is because your average numpty would have to too quite a bit of effort to go over just to poo on the grass.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 23, 2006 8:34 pm

It'd be good to know the general area - no need to specify the exact camp location of course ;-)

Then I'll add a link from the Scottish Sea Trips page.

Mike.

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Tue May 23, 2006 9:06 pm

Not on the west coast would be a big clue.

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Tue May 23, 2006 9:22 pm

Wow- what a gorgeous place. It's pretty likely we'll make it there this summer, too. Fingers crossed. Thanks for showing the pictures!

You've got some awesome coastline close by- hope you enjoy many, many more overnighters!
Zoe Newsam
Sea Kayak Guide & Mountain Leader

Quest 129

Post by Quest 129 » Wed May 24, 2006 9:31 pm

Looks like a great trip and it had me thinking of its whereabouts. Having been all over Scotland my missing link was between Durness and Thurso and it must have been surely to give it its english name The Island of the Seals.
There must be many still out there wondering exactly where it is.

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Thu May 25, 2006 12:21 am

Well I think you have hit the nail on the head. We only saw 2 seals though. Maybe they are all up rivers these days eating fresh salmon ;-)

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Fri May 26, 2006 1:46 pm

Wooo Hooo I submitted some of my pictures to the local paper (John O Groat Journal) and they have a big full colour pic on the front page :-) and a report written by one of the other paddlers inside. Fame at last LOL! Better than appearing in the sherrif court section :-0

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Fri May 26, 2006 7:10 pm

No way could I ever forget my first weekend trip. Even wrote a report about it - immortalised for prosperity in the trip section of the Almanac if anyone can be bothered to read it.

It was special (thanks Mike) and started me on a lifelong journey (feel a thread comming on!).

Hope you have plenty more trips - am looking forward to hearing about them.

H - x

ps - well done on being published - I had a couple in Paddles Mag this month - another first for me! Ummm .. I NEVER appear in the 'in brief' section though. Know one a week on average though through work!

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Mon May 29, 2006 11:52 pm

http://www.caithnesskayakclub.co.uk/Ron.htm I put the report from the paper onto our club site. If anyone wants a read.

Well done on getting a report in the Kayaking mags. I am not sure my photos are good enough for that. The local rag will do for now along with the website. Being the webmaster means I get to post all my own pictures whenever I want ;-)

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Wed May 31, 2006 11:50 pm

Naefear,

Was siting having a rest break today in my organisation's HQ - only to see your picture staring at me from the newspaper rack..... Scary small world and looked like a great wee trip from your report. Always have meant to venture further across than Farr Bay and further North than Loch Laxford but your photos have spurred me on to spend just a wee bit longer in the van one weekend this summer to explore the NW tip.

CaileanMac

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:39 am

So come on then, I've been waiting for a hint. Did you leave a cache or not?
Phil;-)