Fishing Equipment^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
highland

Fishing Equipment^

Post by highland » Thu May 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Can anyone advise me on what is the best fishing equipment to use from a sea kayak. I have an ancient hand line, but what should i put on the end of it? There seems to be such a bewildering array of lures, spinners etc. available that I don't know where to start. The waters I'd be in are the west coast of Scotland, or the Moray Firth.

Thanks

Mark

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 pm

Hmm ... I bought some sand eels the other week - heaven knows why (there were loads of sparkly, glittery lures)! Prob cause we were over in Northumberland and I had puffinitis. Tried them on the Solway on hand line (very briefly). Got bored after about 5 minutes cause I'd not caught anything! Also got a lot of ribbing from others about choice of bait. Have no idea what I thought I was going to catch -and indeed what I would have done if I'd actually caught anything!

Good luck Mark - let us know if you do manage to catch anything.

See you on the west coast.

H - x

mitchmix99

Post by mitchmix99 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 pm

Feathers or darrows would be the best bet on a hand line. should get you some mackeral.

I would recommend getting a telescopic fishing rod. Abu Garia ones are on ebay for £10 + postage . you can take all sorts of lures with you then!

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Thu May 18, 2006 9:24 pm

I recently bought a hand line and it came with an array of silver and coloured objects. It was examined over the weekend by a close friend who is into his fishing and he will return next week with from his expert advice feathers!
It was a great buy from ebay.
Last edited by soundoftheseagull on Thu May 18, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Rockpool GT

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Thu May 18, 2006 9:34 pm

Last week a shoal of suicidal pollock off Lunga decided that yellow rubber worms looked the best bet for a night on the coals, with white mackeral feathers beaten into second place.

Shoreline

Post by Shoreline » Thu May 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Feathers!
Paul Derbyshire
Laggan!!

NickB

Post by NickB » Fri May 19, 2006 7:21 am

Feathers or silver or white thingies for Mackerel or Pollack seem to work well. But what about something a bit more interesting? how about Bass? what type of fishing tackle (lure preferably) and what type of water feature/location/time of day or year?
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

Erling

Post by Erling » Fri May 19, 2006 7:29 am

A hand line can be fine, but you need to plan on where to keep the line when you are pulling in your catch. A rod and a reel make it easier to avoid tangled-up lines.
As for the business end of the line, it all depends on what kind of fish you are going after. If you want cod, you need to fish close to the bottom, and a yellow and red spoon resembling a crab is my favourite. A weight may be useful if the water is deep. The mackerel swims higher up, and rubber worms and shiny things are very effective when trolling through a shoal. -If the Scottish fish are anything like their Norwegian siblings, anyway.
A landing net is useful for securing that 8 kg cod while contemplating how to get the catch into the kayak without both of you ending up outside of it.
There are quite a few good fishing resources on the net, here's one.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

James F

Post by James F » Fri May 19, 2006 8:18 am

I've used a telescopic rod with either feathers and a small weight attached to the end or one of these...

The rod gets tucked under the deck rigging when paddling along and the fish, once suckered, tends to come to the surface where I can see it.

Mike Marshall

Fishing Lures

Post by Mike Marshall » Fri May 19, 2006 7:02 pm

I have tried and tried but it always seems to be the old faithful feathers or a fly(wet) for most catches. Mackerel, Pollock.
I have also used a fly rod for fishing for Mullet who are keen to take a floating fly in the right conditions. Alternatively for Mullet...floating crust delivered to them with a bubble float (clear plastic bubble that you can fill with water for weight and casting)off a spinning rod. This works when you can see them shoal feeding on the surface. Never caught a Bass in my life ironically, however they are a beautiful fish. Someone told me that a 10lb Bass is something like 20years old, I couldnt take a fish like that, I would have to put him /her back.
There are some fantastic telescopic carbon rods made by Shakespeare. These 'scope right down to a managable size for the deck and can be quickly set should you move into a fish area.
When you park it on the deck just be aware of the hook!!
I spent a good 15 mins one day cutting the eye off a hook on a mackerel trace in order to safely pass it through my paddling partners thumb. I was ill afterwards, but it was definitely down to the Guinness and Cockles consumed the night before :-)

MikeM

highland

Post by highland » Thu May 25, 2006 1:24 pm

Thanks for all that - perhaps I will look into getting a telescopic rod. If nothing else it might stop me tearing a hole in my sponsons (I paddle a Feathercraft). I'd not thought about a landing net. I suppose I assumed that my usual fishing luck would mean I wouldn't have to worry much about landing a fish! In the meantime, I'll go looking for feathers or one of those shiny things James so nicely illustrated.

Mark

Erling

Post by Erling » Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 pm

Happy fishing!

The older I get, the better I used to be.

muzz

Post by muzz » Thu May 25, 2006 11:47 pm

I did a bit of fishing in the Cromarty Firth with a handline then invested in a cheapo telescopic rod which came with various baity things, sorry to get technical !
I have only managed out twice withe the feathers on the rod. I did find it more cumbersome than the handline though.

Image[/img]