Jura at Easter, photo journal style.^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jim

Jura at Easter, photo journal style.^

Post by Jim » Tue May 16, 2006 12:11 am

Following on from my brief report of what has to be one of my most interesting days seakayaking, which can be found in this old topic to save repeating myself, I have put together some of my photos with a few little captions. Initially I was not happy with the colours on the CD of scans from my slides by Fuji, however I have since checked on another PC and it seems my monitor could do with a bit of calibrating and the colours aren't that bad, the detail has however been very much washed out during scanning but I can't avoid that by doing them myself so I'll live with it.

Basically I took no photo's prior to landing on Jura because conditions were not ideal for doing so before then. This then literally does start where the previous bit ended!

Lets start with the big panorama (click here for the full resolution 1MB image)
For a sense of scale have a look at Al's video clip of the exact same region.
On the far right there appears to be a beach, this is Camas nam Bairneach (well the bay is) and it is directly off here that the eastbound eddy (8 knots) meets the westbound flood (8 1/2 knots) and causes some turbulence. This is the start point of the whirlpool known as the hag the rough outline of which can just about be determined from the white areas tthat are the eddylines around it's periphery. I realised earlier that the rightmost portion of the pano is taken from a photo taken at greater elevation than the others (I was hoping the whirlpool would be more clear from the cliff top) and a few minutes later obviously so the water doesn't tie in as well as the cliffs, but does sort of show the hag.
For a while downstream (leftwards) all apear calm with occasional waves sprouting and then more calm, until the end of Scarba is reached. From here out to sea there are significant amounts or overfalls - large breaking waves extending for about 3 nautical miles. In the centre of the panorama these waves are about 1km away, moving left they are further away still and not as close to Eilean Mor as initially appears. The whole sweep is about 90 degrees. If you have a map you can line up Eilean Mor and the isolated rock to work out my location. I have got Camas nam Bairneach in, but Eilean beg is further right just out of shot, but only just - I basically have the sector between the 2 islands from my location.

Douglas Wilcox's fourth photo in this thread is taken near the left hand end of Scarba in my panorama (just in front of the flat looking bit), the others of the Corry are to the right of my photo, and the grey lump on the near horizon in the middle must be one of the Garvellachs where he went first.

On with the photos, this single overexposed wide angle shot shows the great race all in one.

Below is the narrow gap where I thought I was going to smash my boat to pieces.
It has calmed down through it by the time of the photo (tide higher) but as you can see trying to sneak outside is no better, the only way is to go well out!

Without giving away our subterranean campsite too exactly, it is clearly one of the dark regions of this photo - a problem of harsh contrast enhanced by slide scanning!
Spot the camo clad Keith and see if you can tell what he's doing!

This is of course my own reliably sinking Sea King, (now sporting a heavy duty keel strip and considerable reinforcement under the seat...)

The bay was fairly well sheltered from the worst the westerlies were throwing our way (especially in the back of our cave) but you can get an idea of conditions beyond this shelter from this shot taken on the Monday.
We stayed in the cave.

We got away on Tuesday and headed back through the Corryvreckan, it was nice and calm but I was in too much of hurry to take pictures within the gulf.
This is a parting shot of Scarba (Jura in foreground) - not over my shoulder like a true pro, but having carved a massive turn whilst getting my camera out of the bag.

Sub5rider and Bubbles enjoying cruising at 11km/h on the ebb stream in the sound of Jura.
(yes even my lens get wet and smeary)

Pelagic Snr and Jnr (sometimes called Phil and Al) paddling past the easily recognised and well named Paps.
Yes, I know there are an unusual number.... must be some kind of fantasy island!

Everything you could need in one place, and one image - a campsite, a pub and a distillery, all right next to the jetty and beach.
The much less essential shop was a full minute's walk away, but frequently visited by some.

Departing from under the paps on Thursday, it had been a bit of a second "Kids and Cripples" tour, although our codename was "Team innuendo" this time.
Unfortunately the cripples were getting weaker faster than the kids were getting stronger and very few were capable of much on Wednesday after our 40km paddle on Tuesday (and I wasn't one!).
There are no prizes for guessing what Sub5rider is up to, I'm just interested to know!

Pretty rock formation in the beach. I wonder if Clark is around to ID the elements for us (looks like quartz set in grey stuff to me).

The first leg of the northwards journey was without much tidal push and eventually the group had to raft for a quick break.
Of course they tried to break it up and get away before I could get a photo - do remember that paddling in front of a tanker that is set to autopilot whilst the helmsman fiddles with his camera is not a good idea....

By Thursday evening we were ready camp.
Pelagic has been told to sling his hook from various nice looking bits of the east coast before and found most of the rest a bit boggy. This secret site (you can look on the map but you won't find it) which he talked down all day in case it proved impossible to pitch enough tents turned out to be a really fantastic spot, depending on how much space you really feel you need.
I used my new group shelter to just bivvy on a grassy ledge, the others erected tents - both methods worked and we could have accomodated more. A lovely spot to sunbathe the following morning waiting for the tide at 4pm...!!!

Pelagic Junior gets to try out dads new KosiKotatatKustomDrySuit thingamy, and swim with seals (not shown).
So do seal bites void the warranty? For clarity, it was the seals who approached him.

And finally (for this batch of photos) a sailing ship (gaff schooner if my memory is working right) makes good use of the ebb stream to hurtle down the sound much faster than it can actually go.
A few hours later we would hitch a ride on the flood back up, but that is another film and still at the developers.

Stay tuned in case I decide to post some pics of the final evening dash back to Easdale, or perhaps some of my boat repairs which I finished the film off with...

JIM

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Tue May 16, 2006 12:39 pm

Hi Jim,
Im officially ill and off work now so I thought Id post a few piccys to complement your selection and while away the time,
your pictures certainly brought some nice memories back.

Like Jim I didnt bother taking many photos for the first couple of days but here are a few I quite like.
The story of the trip is really one of avoiding weather fronts, or not, on one memorable day!
So when we were cave bound this is what people looked like listening to the forcast, imagine
"6-7 increasing gale 8 for a time later" and you get the idea. The hand with the beer (thats me) is explaining it will be fine, as we should be in
the lee of Jura most of the time,
as you can see, they are completely convinced!
when we decided to go back through the Corry, after leaving a nicely stacked pile of wood for our return,
( we were still going for a circumnavigation at this point). It was necessary to leave at what we fondly call, "stupid oclock" which
explains the early morning cast to the sky in this shot of Al at the western end of Corryveckran.
Keith got the job of leading this day. Big numbers on the GPS at this point. We are approaching the eastern end of the Corry,
I have to admit Keith got the timings spot on.
Heres a shot of Kate before she stole my paddle as well as my old boat! Theres a bit of clapotis but nothing like the previous trip through.
After a very long morning, I think this is where the girls and Al invented the "alphabet game" to while away the time, we stopped for lunch.
Bet you cant spot Jims dad in this shot.
Jim and Alex cracking on, its amazing how far people will paddle to get to a pub.
Approaching the Small Isles, as you can see Kate has swopped her paddles for my splits by now
(horrible things she sawed them in half later) and there is another little squally front just missing us off to
the left, about the sixth that day.
Of course homework had to be done, I think Kates project was "The inter-tidal zone habitat". Jims dad is looking
at me funny because he thinks I have sabotaged his tide tables (long story)
Alex leaving Craighouse, forcast is still unbelievably force 6-7,
I suspect Douglas was within 20 miles of our location at this point!
Its the only way to explain the weather.
Bubbles contemplating another long jag!
We now jump to the last day and a blurry photo of Subfiverider and Al approaching Easedale at dusk,
Nigel asked me how visible his lights
were, well Nigel, now you know!
Sorry I didnt reply to the stitcher question Jim, I dont know an awful lot about Macs.
You seemed to have sorted it out quite well anyway, I cant see the joins. Hope your boat repair is as good!

Phil

edited for silly screen resolution purposes..................

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue May 16, 2006 5:30 pm

Jim, could you reduce the width of the panorama, please? I can't read this at the mo.

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Tue May 16, 2006 6:09 pm

I had the same problem Mark, but if you have a three button mouse you can click the middle button and scroll around very easily.

If not the direction keys should do much the same job.

(many thanks to Al for these particular tips) Of course he told me after I had edited my post, with the rather pathetic excuse, that he was at school.

subsequent posts follow the same pattern it would appear!

Phil

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Tue May 16, 2006 9:56 pm

Not everyone uses 1920x1200, then ... ??
Must get around to putting mine online .. I keep getting conspired against.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue May 16, 2006 11:52 pm

How big? I was merely assumng 1280 pixels wide on any competent modern display (FYI I use an old 19" CTX monitor that originally sat on a sun unix station and it can manage 1280 wide, the laptop I use at work does 1600 wide, I have no idea what the desktop will be capable of when the boss has finished building it but since it sounds like a jet fighter taking off, Im guessing the display will be pretty hi res).

Anyway, 1200 was pushing it a bit even for me because of the amount of space the forum takes up either side so I have followed instructions and reduced it to the 800 pixels wide I normally use. Of course anyone who wants to see the waves will now need to download the full size file, its 8225x1771 pixels so probably best to right click, do a save as and then view it on your proper photo software instead of your browser....

Actually Al's video clip gives a better sense of scale by showing the boat moving down the eddyline (I couldn't see that clearly with the naked eye, he has a good tele-zoom) and I would revise my wave height estimates, but I can't be bothered, either way they are still bigger than Helen M's big surf :) i am starting to think more and more that I could take the corry on, I mean it's only 20 minutes of solid grade 5 paddling without a fixed line to stick to if you don't paddle forward, with some fast paddling that would be only a 15 minute run. Then break out behind the Garvellachs and spend several hours trying to get back..... OK, I'm not totally convinced yet, maybe some more scouting trips will put me in the mood for it? I would be looking to start downstream of the head of the eddy where the sucky thing must be, it may be cheating, but somehow I can't convince myself that I fancy that!

JIM

(post pub obviously)

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed May 17, 2006 7:59 pm

Wonderful stuff, a truly inspiring trip. Did you get to try the 25 year old Jura? As Para Handi would say "It's juss sublime!"

And isn't it nice to see such a wide age range on the trip?

Douglas :o)

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Wed May 17, 2006 10:57 pm

Did you get to try the 25 year old Jura? As Para Handi would say "It's juss sublime!"
The slightest hint of rain (or even dampness) forced me into the distillery shop for a wee dram, or two.........I was particularly
taken with the "superstition".......................fabulous.
Of course the "wee boy" always made sure I didnt get run over
crossing the busy road........in the finest traditions of the "coastal Tred"

Phil

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:09 pm

For those students of the Archimedian Principle as applied to salt water and a mass known as Wallis, further photo's of this trip can now be seen here.
;)

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:39 pm

But was Archimedes familiar with the concept of the submarine?

Dave Thomas

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:41 pm

But was Archimedes familiar with the concept of the submarine?

Dave Thomas

surfkayaks.com

Silly Hats, Beards, and not a plastic boat to be seen!

Post by surfkayaks.com » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:52 pm

Kind of interesting given some of the comments on the "Futures Plastic"
thread!