Rockpool - Menai 18

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Sharky

Rockpool - Menai 18

Post by Sharky » Sat May 13, 2006 6:28 pm

For anyone who didn't get over for the Anglesey Symposium and those of you saving up your pennies for Rockpool's expedition boat go to the link below for a wee movie of Aled doing his thing in the new Menai 18

Enjoy:0)
Last edited by Sharky on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

Quest 129

Re: Rockpool - Menai 18

Post by Quest 129 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Very impressive, nice to see bigger hatches. Will it come in a three part version?

capsized8

Menai 18

Post by capsized8 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:55 am

This boat can only be described as awsome. It is certainly the most responsive boat that I have paddled. To put it simply - it goes where you want it to, when you want it to and has superb stability especially for those who want to take piccies even in choppy waters. The boats handling and stability coupled with its surfing agility especially in a following sea puts it into the category of must have exped boat.

Does what it says on the tin - and more!!
peace and good padlin.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 14, 2006 10:14 am

It doesnt matter what it does if it doesnt fit / isn't comfortable. I tried an Alew and, sadly, for me, it did neither. Is the cockpit in this the same?

Mike.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Sun May 14, 2006 11:48 am

MikeB wrote:It doesnt matter what it does if it doesnt fit / isn't comfortable.
Your absolutely right Mike

The fundamental guide to any boat fitting is exactly that - if it isn't comfy then keep looking and trying

The other thing, I feel, is not to get too evangelical about new boats, based on that premise alone

However, what I can say though is I find Rockpool boats good to paddle and that the option of seat sizes (small or large) allows for a range of body morphologies but leg room seems to be an issue for some folk. The fact that you can trim the seat position is a bonus feature too, in my view.

The Menai 18 does handle well, even without the addition of a skeg (which I believe is coming soon, it just wasn't ready for the symposium). Its a bit broader than the ALAW and the Bach with some additional innovative features. The seating and foot rest arrangement is similar in all the boats though the final postion you end up in varies to a degree depending which one you are in (if that makes sense).

The best bet is give the Menai 18 a try next chance you get. The Rockpool team are going to the Northumberland Symposium, they may have one there. Mike and Aled always welcome any constructive feeback on their boats rather than just hearing how good they might be

Anyway, that's my take on things :0)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 14, 2006 2:08 pm

I certainly want to try the Menai18 - I think Knoydart may have a demo, so I'll try and get my hands on that. The Alew cockpit was too short, even with the foat rest as far forward as I could get it, although I didnt have time to move the seat back a little. Removing the footrest and using a foam pad on the bulkhead would fix that of course.

The major problem was the thigh braces which dug into me something horrible! I found them too "sharp" and the curve was too tight for me - maybe they are designed for thinner thighs??

If any "larger" Quest paddlers get a chance to try the Menai and report here I'd be very interested in hearing thoughts. I can't get to the Northumberland gathering - the Garvellachs beckon.
Mike.

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Sun May 14, 2006 10:43 pm

MikeB,

Have had someone just a wee bit shorter than you in my Alaw Back by moving the seat right back. When the seat is moved back this also might alleviate the well curved thigh grips digging in - they are the mutts nuts for providing you with a solid platform to edge and control the boat through - not the piddly, flat, normal non grippy thigh grips - each to their own preferences though.

The Rockpool seat's are usually set very low which may also aid you in getting into the Menai 18 with ease. Your P+H seat is probably set quite high in comparison (talking cm's not inches though).

CaileanMac

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon May 15, 2006 3:29 pm

Its interesting to see how the built-in skeg section totally disengages as he turns it on edge. It looks very playful for an 18 footer. I'd love to try one.

Mike Marshall

Menai 18

Post by Mike Marshall » Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 pm

What, no adjustable skeg??

MikeM

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Tue May 16, 2006 10:23 pm

(AFAIK) The Menai has a built-in skeg section that contains a small drop-down skeg; it also has a couple of long rails on the bottom of the hull.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:52 pm

Is this in production yet?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:47 am

If you order one they will build it :)

Its a good looking boat
Last edited by Sharky on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:21 am

I doubt that the Menai will go into mass/stock production this year; they still have orders for more Alaws/Alaw bachs than they can build atm.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:58 am

There are rumours that Aled wil be joining Mike in the workshop fulltime as of the summer to ensure everyone's needs are addressed

Till now Aled has also been holding down a full time teaching job as well as designing, coaching & demoing

There is a Menai 18 for demo so try before you buy

As I said before, if you order it they will build it - it just depends on when you want it