Classic day trip:Garvellachs via Grey Dogs and Corryvreckan^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Classic day trip:Garvellachs via Grey Dogs and Corryvreckan^

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri May 12, 2006 8:37 am

Got up at 04:15 Thursday.

We went out this way

The Tardis took the quick waybut made an awkward landing:

Sea kayaking heaven:

Homeward bound:

Took a break in this hidden cove:

Travelling at 15km/hour.

Got back to find the last ferry long gone and safely tucked up at its mooring. David was due to pick up a student friend for his Vet year's 40 year reunion at Glasgow airport at 10:15. Whoops! We managed to contact the ferryman via a call centre in Liverpool. He went and got his mate and boat then went to get the ferry and came across for us. He didn't want any money but we gave them £60. We arrived at the airport at 1015! Perfect end to a perfect day.

Douglas :o)
Last edited by Douglas Wilcox on Sat May 13, 2006 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 9:01 am

What a superb day for a paddle!

Is that the Cuan Sound ferry? Mind you - if it is, I can't place the little lighthouse anywhere.

Dave Thomas

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 9:34 am

Ok - I'll go for Black Mill Bay on Luing, through the Grey Dogs, round the S end of the Garvellachs (they've rebuilt the light since I was there a few years ago, but I've a photo which has the distinctive cliff profile behind it) and back round the N side of Lunga.

Dave Thomas

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri May 12, 2006 10:14 am

Dave>
Is that the Cuan Sound ferry? Mind you - if it is, I can't place the little lighthouse anywhere.
Hi Dave, it is the temporary Cuan Sound Ferry. It was just big enough to to take our car and trailer. You need to reverse off. You should see what I (and the ferry) did to the front of David's car as he did not fancy driving!

The little lighthouse is the new one at the south end of Eileach an Naoimh at the bottom end of the Garvellachs.

Dave>
Ok - I'll go for Black Mill Bay on Luing

Spot on Dave. A ferry fare of £18.50 got a car 3 adults and a long trailer right out west which made our trip possible. Some of the internet timetables are wrong. The late ferries in the summer only run on Fri and Sat. We should have checked!

Dave>
through the Grey Dogs, round the S end of the Garvellachs (they've rebuilt the light since I was there a few years ago, but I've a photo which has the distinctive cliff profile behind it) and back round the N side of Lunga.

Yes we went out through the Grey Dogs and got some spring tide assistance out to Eileach an Naoimh (which we circumnavigated) where we had a very pleasant luncheon of bacon butties. However, we came back a different way.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 10:38 am

Hmm - back through the Grey Dogs? But surely the flow should have been westwards and northwards at that time? (or does it turn early at the Grey Dogs? - I can't recall).

Incidentally, which of the two cameras has the time set wrong? Or are the photos not taken in the sequence posted?!!

Dave Thomas

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 10:50 am

Or did you get up to Belnahua on the last of the flood, then run back down the Sound of Luing on the ebb?

Right - to work, after an enjoyable diversion!

Dave Thomas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 12, 2006 11:37 am

The lighthouse had me foxed - I was sure of the outward leg and the destination but the l/house was wrong.

Return is, I suspect, as Dave suspects.

Mike.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri May 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Dave, Mike>
Or did you get up to Belnahua on the last of the flood, then run back down the Sound of Luing on the ebb?

We returned a different way..

Dave>
Hmm - back through the Grey Dogs? But surely the flow should have been westwards and northwards at that time? (or does it turn early at the Grey Dogs? - I can't recall).
We returned a different way..

Dave>
Incidentally, which of the two cameras has the time set wrong? Or are the photos not taken in the sequence posted?!!
Pics are in sequence. One is on BST the other GMT.

Edited> Both cameras are on GMT. The little cove shot should have come before the over the shoulder shot. I have now corrected the order in first post. Thanks Dave.

Last edited by Douglas Wilcox on Sat May 13, 2006 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Fri May 12, 2006 1:49 pm

You came back thro Corryveckran didnt you?

Phil

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 1:56 pm

Heading into the sun - ~SW - at 15.51 BST, with a fair push from the tide (presumably - doesn't look breezy enough to have all that much effect). But tide should have been coming to the end of the flood at that time - flowing N and W......

Beginning to guess a bit now, but through Cuan Sound and down to Toberonochy, then walked to fetch the car?

Dave Thomas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 12, 2006 2:00 pm

Ah, which suggests

is approaching the SW end of Scarba. The SW end of Scarba, looking North, from land, looks like this - so the landscape seems right, as are the rocks (?). When I looked at Douglas's pic first I saw a cliff - on closer view, the cliff seems to be set back, which is what we found when we were there.

It all looks too calm though - there's a flow there. Having said that, the 5th pic does indeed look as though they've come round the SE end of Scarba, and the sun is certainly about right.

Mike

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 2:08 pm

Well, I agree that pic 5 could be the SE corner of Scarba - though I'm not convinced that you'd pick up the tide tucked that close in. But how would that fit into the overall scheme of things - how did they get there, and how did they get back to somewhere on Luing?

Dave Thomas

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Fri May 12, 2006 2:14 pm

the 5th pic does indeed look as though they've come round the SE end of Scarba, and the sun is certainly about right.
And how does Douglas manage to take a shot over his shoulder without his shoulder being in the frame? Horizons a bit crooked thank God! Theres hope for us all yet.

Phil

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Not over his shoulder I think - thats a bow, not a stern - he has his splits on the front - -

(And speaking of pics and the Corry - - we're eagerly awaiting the BCC pics from Easter - - -)

Mike

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 2:52 pm

No - I think Pelagic has it!! The Rockpool boat (pic 5 RH) has splits on the stern! And the other ppaddler could be face on rather than back to the camera. Maybe Douglas carries one split on each deck? So it's a backward shot at arms length with the Sony DSC-U60 - hence the tilted horizon.

In which case, past the Hag at slackish water and pick up the building ebb a bit further through? Or a bold full-frontal assault?!!

Dave Thomas

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Fri May 12, 2006 4:25 pm

In which case, past the Hag at slackish water and pick up the building ebb a bit further through? Or a bold full-frontal assault?!!
I think, if memory serves, theres a useful little eddy on the Scarba side that will take you very nicely past the area of the Hag, which hopefully should be well asleep on the ebb (or slacks). I would time it to pick up the flood in the Sound of Luing, so my guess would be last of the ebb, thro Corryveckran.

Sorry Mike have to dissagree about the boat, a close study of the displacement waveform, along with the reflective angle of the incident lighting given the probable time of day indicates the shot was taken over the shoulder, really, I expected more scientific rigour from you mate.......................oh alright, its making a wake, so unless Douglas can paddle backwards quite fast and take photos at the same time.........................;-)

Phil

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 5:21 pm

Pelagic wrote:I would time it to pick up the flood in the Sound of Luing, so my guess would be last of the ebb, thro Corryveckran.
Time of photo in Corryvreckan - 15.51 BST. HW Oban (approx) 1800 BST!

Dave Thomas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Phil - I concede defeat - total lack of scientific rigor there! You are right. I am wrong. There is a wake. Must be an otss - and I reckon its taken around about the 2nd "N" of Rubha Righinn

I'm also intrigued by the "hidden cove" - which I'd have said was a Balnhua pool if I didnt think otherwise! I thought I knew that area well until the evil Dr challenged my understanding.

Edit to add, having just seen Dave's posts about tide times - knock off an hour or so I think, so they came through on the top of the tide. And up and over on the start of the ebb.

Does that work? It would for the outward leg.

Mike

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Fri May 12, 2006 6:25 pm

Edit to add, having just seen Dave's posts about tide times - knock off an hour or so I think, so they came through on the top of the tide. And up and over on the start of the ebb.

Does that work? It would for the outward leg.
Yes, I did say that would be how I would do it, but Im lazy! Ebb starting 1.45 before Oban puts them coming through first of the ebb, it also means the little eddy works S of Scarba last of flood. by the way how do you find the time the photo was taken Dave? or am I being stupid?

So if thats what they did, then I would probably creep up the Scarba side (not much tide up to the little bay below Kilmory lodge if you stay in close and ferry over to Luing, I suspect the "hidden cove" is on Scarba, could well be the same little bay. Then eddy-hop up to Cuan.

I think Rhubha na Una is the first headland in the distance in picture 5 which means it was taken just into the Sound of Luing, Heading North!

Could be wrong though.............

Phil

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 6:58 pm

MikeB wrote:I reckon its taken around about the 2nd "N" of Rubha Righinn
No - further NE - there's no clear line of sight through to open sea.
MikeB wrote:I'm also intrigued by the "hidden cove" - which I'd have said was a Balnhua pool if I didnt think otherwise!
Yes - looked plausible, didn't it - though I can't recall whether there are workings opening to the sea, as well as the main pool which is land-locked.
Pelagic wrote:how do you find the time the photo was taken Dave?
Various ways of interrogating the 'Exif' data attached to a jpeg - I saved the image to my hard drive then opened it in Windows Viewer and right clicked to get 'properties'. But I've also got a freeware Exif viewer floating around somwewhere - recommended by Douglas, as I recall.
Pelagic wrote:I would probably creep up the Scarba side (not much tide up to the little bay below Kilmory lodge if you stay in close and ferry over to Luing, ...... Then eddy-hop up to Cuan.
Last bit not very necessary - only going as far as Black Mill Bay, remember!

Dave Thomas

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Fri May 12, 2006 7:23 pm

Last bit not very necessary - only going as far as Black Mill Bay, remember!
Quite right, I really must pay more attention, cheers for the info, never thought to save it................

Phil

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri May 12, 2006 9:40 pm

Am I missing something with these tides and photos? Only one I can really place (having bailed on the Garvellachs and not started in the Cuan sound) is No.5 which I agree looks a bit like East coast of Scarba, i.e. in the sound of Luing. The time given puts them there 25 minutes before the start of the ebb catching the last of the flood N, which would put them sneaking through the eddy on the N side of the Corry about an hour or so before that, by which time the hag should have quietened down some, making sneaking up the eddy a bit less scary.

As for the exact location of that No. 5 photo, firstly I seem to recall you have to get quite close to Rubha Righinn to get a view through to the sea on the outside, however, I'm going to agree more with Phil, but suggest you are all wrong thinking they are close in - I reckon they are right in the middle of the S end of the sound of Luing getting all the tidal lift they can, although why they would want to stop for a rest anywhere rather than just pushing on to reach Black mill Bay before it turned I can't fathom, could be I've missed a clue?

Photo's from our Easter trip? Got a bunch but I'm not happy with the colours in Fuji's scans of my slides, also the last few that would possible include a similar pic to No. 5, are still in the camera...... I might get round to uploading some of them over the weekend. Can anyone recommend a really really good panorama stitcher (that I don't need to pay for)???

JIM

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Fri May 12, 2006 10:04 pm

Try PTStitcher, its part of Panotools it's open source and there is a Mac version.
Try here;
http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/
have fun!
I'm going to agree more with Phil, but suggest you are all wrong thinking they are close in - I reckon they are right in the middle of the S end of the sound of Luing getting all the tidal lift they can,
I think I missed the point (not for the first time) as Dave pointed out, I was just mentally thinking "where would I be going to get to Cuan sound against the ebb?" , not thinking, I have a car on luing..................Dooohhh!
I agree bottom of Sound of Luing but still towards the Scarba side, just to be awkward.

Phil

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat May 13, 2006 1:15 am

Hi folks, it was a fantastic day!

HW Oban on 11/05/06 was 17:50 so I calculated the start of the ebb 2 days before springs at 16:15.

This shows the position of the three pictures

16:03 we used the last of the flood counter eddy to come down the west coast of Scarba.

16:31 This was the beautiful hidden cove in the Corryvreckan where we landed.

Finally at 1651 this is looking backwards over my shoulder with the Sony U60. At this point he drift in the tide was 10.5km/hr and with a bit of paddling we were doing 15km/hr.

Not bad for a trip decided on at 17:00 on the 10th!

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat May 13, 2006 8:27 am

Phil>
not thinking, I have a car on luing
Glad to have been cause of some Friday work diversion! Some confusion arose because we obviously did not start from one of the traditional launch sites for the Garvellachs.

Point of debate: in the climbing world there are all sorts of ethical considerations about what makes a good route. So, could car and ferry kayaking (including private, after hours, chartering of a ferry!!!) be considered as cheating?

Douglas :o) :o)

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Sat May 13, 2006 9:23 am

Douglas Wilcox wrote:could car and ferry kayaking (including private, after hours, chartering of a ferry!!!) be considered as cheating?
Can't see why it should.

It certainly was a very interesting 'diversion' yesterday. - almost as vicariously enjoyable as the trip must have been 'in the flesh'! And throwing in that backwards-facing shot certainly threw me completely - particularly once I had 'noticed' the direction of the sun!

Dave Thomas

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat May 13, 2006 10:39 am

Hi Dave, glad you enjoyed the diversion, AND it got everyone busy with the tidetables and maps!

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Sat May 13, 2006 11:12 am

could car and ferry kayaking (including private, after hours, chartering of a ferry!!!) be considered as cheating?
Absolutely not Douglas, I consider in particular the after hours ferry as improvisation of a high order, of course if you had crudely fashioned a raft with the boats and floated the car back I would have been even more impressed!
Like Dave I thoroughly enjoyed your adventure, and it provided an very interesting diversion trying to piece together where you had been in between getting the car air-conditioning re-gassed and buying my wife a birthday pressy. Little did anyone know that in my mind I was paddling the Corry again, deep respect to you all and much envy on my part too!
On a calmish day the Corry is a fabulous place, just enough time to linger but there is always that sense of urgency speeding you on, I find that like most intense and memorable things it leaves you with a great desire to go back again and again, next time the flood eh?
A beautiful piece of creative planning and very well executed.

Phil

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat May 13, 2006 2:33 pm

On the 25th May 2004, in a post elsewhere on this very Community, a certain Douglas Wilcox wrote that "he didn't feel ready for the Corry just yet". Times have changed, clearly!

It's a grand place - lovely pics, again - Mike.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat May 13, 2006 9:45 pm

MikeB wrote:On the 25th May 2004, in a post elsewhere on this very Community, a certain Douglas Wilcox wrote that "he didn't feel ready for the Corry just yet". Times have changed, clearly!

It's a grand place - lovely pics, again - Mike.
Well Douglas has had a pretty intensive 2 years to prepare himself for it, so I'm not at all surprised, although it doesn't make for the kind iof laid back trip he prefers (critical timing being, well critical).

Anyway, the original photos were in a different order than which they were taken then? That explains the stop because after the over the shoulder shot there wouldn't have been much point stopping. Shame you didn't have the opportunity to arrive at Scarba early and go ashore to have a look at the features from the cliff top!

Not having much luck on the panorama front, I can load pictures, and choose corresponding points, but the output file is always just black....???? Any ideas? My panorama will be from the tip of Jura which is visible in the background of the first of the 3 Scarba photos, the area from which that photo was taken will be within my shot of course :) The secret cove probbaly won't be, and even if it it will be indistinguishable.

JIM