Boat Storage^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
muzz

Boat Storage^

Post by muzz »

I bought a new boat today for my son. I had a look at the owners manual on the drive home and found that it is best to store it upright.
The boat is plastic so I cannot say if the same applies to composite boats.

My plastic touring boat has been lying flat in the garden since last October !
Now we have three plastic boats I was going to make somewhere to store them, upright would actuall make things a lot easier for me, a kind of 'tied to the fence' affair.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

This any use?

sub5rider

Re: Boat Storage

Post by sub5rider »

When my boat has to sit outside, it's always in a position in which I can leave the hatches off without the comaprtments & cockpit filling with rainwater. So it's usually on edge, but past 90 deg if you see what I mean. Hatche covers perish, don't like leaving them on, in sunlight, unnecessarily.

Robin Ashcroft

Post by Robin Ashcroft »

Hi,

I have an Island Kayak's Expedition. It came with a very useful nylon cover that completely enclose the boat and zips in place. It's not absolutely waterproof, but it keeps 99% of the damp away and critically protects the boat from UV -I suspect this is the real killer for boats be they composite or plastic. I then keep the boat off the ground on blocks and cover the whole assembly with a cheap builders tarp (£5.00 from a DIY store) in winter; I don't bother in summer as it's faff when I'm off paddling. I live at almost sea level so frosts are seldom a problem.

May be worth approaching them to see if they'd sell you a cover by itself - obviously check dimensions first, but as the Exped's a big boat.......

It's not ideal, but as I don't have a garage it's a workable soloution that seems to do the trick.

Aye - Robin

Mike Marshall

Boat Covers

Post by Mike Marshall »

The boat covers are available at Brookbank Canoes.
Retailing at £40, a bargain to protect your investment.
I bought one and it fits the Quest perfectly.
Great for transport and handling, also UV protection.
I dont leave it in the bag in the garage though, let it breathe!!!

MikeM

Goldspoon

Post by Goldspoon »

Flat (on hulls) on a flat surface, for glass and poly, is fine.

On edge on flat surface is fine.

On hard bars (e.g. roofrrack or wooden rack) - take care. I prefer upside down for long periods (hatches on bars) or on edge for shorter periods (the tighter part of the boats curve touching the supporting bar).

Goldspoon

Re: Boat Covers

Post by Goldspoon »

Mike Marshall wrote:The boat covers are available at Brookbank Canoes.

MikeM
I did tell Mike this (probably why he said let it breathe :-) GRP boats left in boat bags can VERY quickly develop osmosis and it is very nasty (thinner the gel the quicker it happens - I believe). I have seen this... all over a kayak's deck, lots of small gel bubbles all filled with water. I personally would not use a boat bag at all.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

So what is better on balance for a composite boat stored outside - exposure to UV, or keeping in a 'bodybag' or under some other form of close-fitting cover which may inhibit 'breathing?

Dave Thomas

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible »

Best thing is probably some kind of umbrella/tarp/canopy structure that keeps the sun & rain out, but doesn't allow condensation (= kayak death) to build up.

Jim

Re: Boat Covers

Post by Jim »

Goldspoon wrote:
Mike Marshall wrote:The boat covers are available at Brookbank Canoes.

MikeM
I did tell Mike this (probably why he said let it breathe :-) GRP boats left in boat bags can VERY quickly develop osmosis and it is very nasty (thinner the gel the quicker it happens - I believe). I have seen this... all over a kayak's deck, lots of small gel bubbles all filled with water. I personally would not use a boat bag at all.
As I've said before, Gelcoat is a waste of time!

JIM