Rhum tides^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Robert Craig

Rhum tides^

Post by Robert Craig » Tue May 09, 2006 10:01 pm

I'm thinking of paddling round Rhum w/e 27/28 May. It's a spring tide.

I know there's a strong tidal current across the W corner (A'Bhrideanach). Anyone know if there's any tide to worry about elesewhere?

Recommendations for good landing spots (other than Loch Scresort)?

maryinoxford

Rhum

Post by maryinoxford » Tue May 09, 2006 11:29 pm

Nice sandy beach at Kilmory on the north side. I can't vouch for kayaking conditions - I walked there from Kinloch.
Not in Oxford any more...

Chris Bolton

Kilmory

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed May 10, 2006 12:05 am

Landed at Kilmory once; while we decided if it was/was not too windy to cross to Soay. We were told we shouldn't have, as it's a nature reserve (for deer); we were even unwelcome if we kept below HW mark. I am not sure how the Land Reform Act affects that; I expect that keeping out of nature reserves is part of responsible use.

It was many years ago (mid-eighties) things may have changed.

Still not sure if was too windy, but we did it anyway and arrived on Soay after 4 hours.

Chris

maryinoxford

Re: Kilmory

Post by maryinoxford » Wed May 10, 2006 10:00 am

Chris Bolton wrote:Landed at Kilmory once; ... We were told we shouldn't have, as it's a nature reserve (for deer);
It was many years ago (mid-eighties) things may have changed.
Chris
I was there last year. It was a local, possibly even one of the wardens, who told us that we should walk to Kilmory if we wanted to see the deer herd. Other people did the walk as well - nobody said that we shouldn't.

Of course, we may have had a better reception as we were staying at the hostel and contributing to the local economy...

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 10, 2006 10:22 am

You should be alright, the group I'm paddling with shouldn't get to Rhum that weekend and will have shrunk by the time they do go there! (Those with only weekend passes will have gone home, including me)

Anyway, I have the pilot and I am planning to have a look at the tides and stuff before I go so I'll try and remember to see what I can find out tonight. Chances are I'll forget and look it up in the car on the way there....

JIM
Last edited by Jim on Thu May 25, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tpage

Re: Rhum tides

Post by tpage » Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 am

Robert Craig wrote:I'm thinking of paddling round Rhum w/e 27/28 May. It's a spring tide.

I know there's a strong tidal current across the W corner (A'Bhrideanach). Anyone know if there's any tide to worry about elesewhere?

Recommendations for good landing spots (other than Loch Scresort)?
Hi Robert,

The Tides around RUM, arnt too severe. Obviously the headlands to the West and Southwest can be lively. The biggest issue will be the swell and lack of landing places around the southwest coast. We found this a challanging paddle even in fairly good weather. Take a look at the map for nice landing spots- Harris, Guirdil, Kilmory. Also Papadil and Dibidil are OK in fine weather.
Enjoy the small Isles- Tony

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Wed May 10, 2006 1:32 pm

We're also heading to Rum soon.

In case the weather gets too much for our return, anyone know if we can carry kayaks onto the ferry? Last time I was there they still used a 'flit' boat. The new pier was being built.
S

tpage

Post by tpage » Wed May 10, 2006 1:40 pm

Simon Willis wrote:We're also heading to Rum soon.

In case the weather gets too much for our return, anyone know if we can carry kayaks onto the ferry? Last time I was there they still used a 'flit' boat. The new pier was being built.
S
Simon,
There is an excellent "new" ferry. MV LochNevis. The crew are really helpful too. They winch the kayaks on at Mallaig, and help you carry them off at Rum (and vice versa). The ferry usually hardly ever take on vehicles and so you have the car deck exclusively for your kayaks. I think It costs about £5 per kayak on each one-way trip. Ferry does a cooked breakfast/ dinner and has showers!

Enjoy- Tony

catman

Post by catman » Wed May 10, 2006 2:44 pm

I camped on Rum a couple of weeks ago (Kinloch) and there was no problem with access. It seems much more easy going than the last time I was there (2001). They didnt even charge for camping this time. There is a shop there too if you run out of beer!!
Phil

Paul Cr

Rum landings

Post by Paul Cr » Wed May 10, 2006 7:58 pm

Hi Robert

Harris looks a nice spot to look round. I wouldn't rely on being able to land however. There is a very short piece of sand then big boulders widely spaced.

We were there in a flat calm and mid tide (I suspect) and though one of us was very desperate for a pee we couldn't work out a dry landing! Next stop was Canna - I was OK cos I used a lucozade bottle! - nearly forgot to turn the tap of though.

Paul

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 10, 2006 10:58 pm

Without transcribing large chunks of someone else work (i.e. the pilot - it's well worth splashing out on them for areas you paddle often):

Flood stream runs NW and N through the small isles. Rastes of up to 4 knots on both flood and ebb in certain places; east of Eigg, between Muck and Eigg and the rocks between Canna and Hyskeir (so not Rum itself but how are you getting there?). Flood stream starts 6 hours after HW Ullapool, ebb at HW Ullapool, local HW is 48 mins earlier.

Being a yachting pilot it only lists Loch Scresort as a landing/anchorage, but does mention that access may be restricted to 2 marked trails from the Loch, and that access to some parts of the island may be restricted. Seems like other people have more positive recent experience to work on, or maybe the restrictions are seasonal?

As usual I've got plenty to think about for my trip (even if it is just a weekend) but compared to the sounds of Jura and Luing, Gulf of Corryvreckan and Firth of Lorne it's nothing :)

JIM

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue May 30, 2006 7:54 pm

Thanks for this advice, everyone. I'm just back yesterday, and tides weren't an issue - the problem was wind. Nearly got down to Dibidil the first day, but got scared and came back about a mile short of it. Walked over to Guirdil for a recce and found the bothy there in good nick, and landing possiblities (would have been ok that day, anyway). Stuck our noses out into the waves for a play yesterday morning, but didn't feel very brave about it.

Cal Mac coudn't have been more helpful with the boats, helping us to carry on and off at both ends, and finding chocks to stop the boats rocking on the deck. £20/head for person + boat Mallaig-Rum-Mallaig.

These a free "camping area" not far from the pier, with a toilet and tap. Wild camping anywhere is permissable, as it is anywhere in Scotland.

Finally, given that I didn't get to Dibidil, what's the landing there like? Anyone tried it?

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue May 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Ah, Calmac! I was wondering where you had found the window to get to Rum over the weekend. Nasty wind that, certainly reduced the scope of our plans considerably.

JIM

tpage

Post by tpage » Wed May 31, 2006 10:17 am

Robert Craig wrote:
Finally, given that I didn't get to Dibidil, what's the landing there like? Anyone tried it?
Hi Robert,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Rum, and I would echo the comments on the helpfullness of the Calmac crew.

Landing at Dibidil is fairly straight forward (dependant on swell of course). It is a raised storm beach. From which you have to climb out of. Probably impossible to get your boat any higher without a crane.

We very nearly lost our boats there last year after a massive overnight downpour created a few extra rivers in the Glen- several of which passed into and through the previously dry storm beach. I wouldnt really recommend it as a place to leave your kayaks overnight...

I managed a week of solo day trips in the Sound of Luing area last week- dodging the force 6-7 winds and the snow. Managed a few paddles through the Dorus, Grey dogs, Scarba, Lunga, Cuan etc but had some nervous momments though. Love the new Alaw Bach which I'm breaking in for St. Kilda next week.........

Tony