Tent recomendation^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
naefearjustbeer

Tent recomendation^

Post by naefearjustbeer » Sun May 07, 2006 2:23 pm

With the outdoor season upon us I thought I would venture out to the garage to check out my tent and give it the once over. To my horror the pesky mice have been in it and chewed everything to bits apart from the poles and pegs GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Any recomendations for a fairly cheap tent to use for overnight kayak trips 2 man size would be best. It has to fit into a plastic cappella and be fairly robust. It will also get used for motorbike camping trips. I cannot afford a fancy all singing tent at the moment as I did not budget on having to replace it this year.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun May 07, 2006 3:35 pm

Whats "fairly cheap"??

There's a brand called Wynnster which are reasonable enough for the price. If you want to see them, Tiso sell them as well so if you can get to a Tiso branch - -

I'm a big fan of Vaude but maybe the prices offered dont come into the cheap category. That said, they do seem to last well.

Mike.

atakd

Post by atakd » Sun May 07, 2006 4:22 pm

I know nothing about tents but have just bought a Vango Tempest 150, 1 man tent for £59. The 2 man was £69. It weighs 2.6 Kg, I can erect it in 4 minutes and it packs down small. I realise that at that this price it ain't going to withstand a blizzard in the Andes but I felt for UK summer use it would do the job. Perhaps a more knowledgable camper will point out the error of my ways.
Andy

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun May 07, 2006 4:44 pm

I use a Vango 2 man tent I bought in Millets for £39 in their end of season sale. This will be it's third season of use and dispite a splitting a pole returning to the tent a bit tiddly in Treweryn (fixed with a bit of bodge tape!) , it's still goinig strong. There's ample room for 2, and a porch big enough for all our gear plus room for cooking. It's easy to erect, it goes up outer first or the outer can go up with the inner attached. It's stood up to some pretty rough weather too. I rate it as probably one of the best tents I've owned and use it in preferrence to my Marmot tent that cost over £200.
Happy paddling
Tony

john campbell

Post by john campbell » Sun May 07, 2006 6:20 pm

I agree with the last two posts. I have been using Vango 2 person tents for the last few years, costing between £35 and £50. I normally camp all year, in all weathers 20 - 25 nights a year and these tents will last for 3/4 years before any problems with degredation by UV. They are not the lightest on the market but light enough for walking and you will have no problem when camping out of your boat.

High-end tents are a complete waste of money for paddlers/walkers in the UK unless they are safety critical items whilst up a big Alpine mountain in bad winter conditions. What is important is to dry them out thoroughly as soon as you get home and make sure they are stored in dry place like a loft.

happy camping
John

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Sun May 07, 2006 11:28 pm

I had looked at a Vango Delta 200 man tent on outdoormegastore and it looked ok for what I wanted. My old tent was a cheap eurohike job that lasted me about 8 years with very hard use. Ie falling into ito drunk as a skunk squezzing 4 people into it for a night and camping on the north coast of orkney during april storms with no damage. I found it to be very robust. The new eurohike tents dont appear to be so good they look a lot flimsyer and all the people that I recomended them to have compained about burst zips and ripped material.

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Sun May 07, 2006 11:45 pm

Wild Country used to be (still could be?) the 'cheap' brand name for Terra Nova. Same build quality just lower spec. I've got one of their 'Mistral's which has seen around 4 seasons use (roughly 30 nights a year) and only cost around £80/90.

You don't always get a better tent by lashing the cash. You have to ask yourself when and where are you actually going to be using it - half way up Mt Everest or living out of it for three month's at a time or for a few weekends each year during calm to moderate weather conditions?

Would echo John Campbell's advice of drying out tent and carefully storing it when it's not in use - this really adds an extra season or so onto the working life of a tent.

Vango do a 'factory sale' once a year at their Port Glasgow factory - mega cheap deals on tents and other stuff they make. If memory serves right its around this time of year? Anyone know? Jim?

CaileanMac

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon May 08, 2006 12:39 am

Vango sale is first week of December. Neil farmer got a very nice tent in it a couple of years back - well worth checking out if you need kit around then!

Still not decided waht tent really suits my requirements, but having successfully rebuilt my old inner tent (drunken accident has meant it was gaffer taped together for the last 10 years, hence I've mainly used my Bivi in the meantime) I reckon when I decide what I want i'll just build one I like! probably won't be any cheaper than buying one because I'll go OTT on fabric choice and stuff :-)

JIM

Bruxy

Post by Bruxy » Mon May 08, 2006 10:51 am

Hi,

Like Cailean, I can thoroughly recommend the Wild Country Mistral as a tent that will look after you.

It's really sturdy and will keep out the worst of the weather you are likely to throw at it (unless you're off to the Poles for a walk).

The porch is truly it's best feature as it's huge - and I would rate this extremely highly when tent-bound in bad weather and you need to do any cooking. Using stoves in a tent scares me to death as there have been many grim accidents featuring serious burns - but if you camp all year round, there are going to be times when you're just going to have to use the stove inside. On those occasions, I am very. very aware of the danger and take alot of care. Hence, having a big porch minimises this risk and I'd say was an essential design feature.

I'd still never consider priming my MSR inside but would take the hit and get a soaking while firing it up - not such a problem with the gas stove which is more "start up" friendly and which I tend to supplement the MSR with anyway.

Cooking aside, the huge porch makes storing kit easy - no need to mess about wrapping it in one of those orange exposure bags and leaving it outside .. it's all to hand and stays dry.

Space inside the inner tent is generous too - but obviously comes with a weight penalty .. no problem if you're kayaking or using from a car or split between two people in backpacks - but not really a solo proposition.

The inner sits transversely inside the fly sheet - i.e. one of you is next to the door - so if you're on a trip with someone with a weak bladder - bag your place inside first!! You also have a good excuse not to have to make that early morning brew as the "doorman/woman" is more ideally placed!

Not sure when Cailean got his, but it's either a long time ago (but then it would have been a Terra Nova offering), or he has a very good contact for outdoor gear as the price is now nearer £150 ... and that's if you shop around on the internet!

If I could change one thing about it,mind - I'd have had it designed as erecting outer-first as it can be a bit awkward threading the poles along the twin sleeves on the top of the inner until you get used to the technique required - and any delays, in torrential rain, mean a nice, wet inner tent!

Hope that's of some use and good luck in finding a suitable one.

Cheers
Chris

muzz

Post by muzz » Wed May 10, 2006 9:49 pm

For much cheapness in a 1 person tent track down one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 118&fkxs=1

I still have mine :-)

AngelReign

Re: Tent recomendation^

Post by AngelReign » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:09 am

My second Sierra Design tent recommendation (opens new window) is for their 4-season ... I'd have a look at the main camping tent reviews, tips and guide.

Skerry Packer

Post by Skerry Packer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:13 pm

I have a couple of tents for sale. Vango F10 assault used a couple of times and in very good condition and a Vango Hydra 250 use once only, also in very good condition. Specs for these can be found on the web. Looking for £100 each + P&P If anyone interested. I tend to use my Equinox 350 now.
Gerry
Per Nostra Opera

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:50 am

Skerry Packer wrote: I tend to use my Equinox 350 now.
Gerry
Coincidentally, I am having an extended debate with my son at the moment. He has an Equinox 350 which he wants to use on a trip with me in a couple of weeks. I think it is way to big and heavy and I want to buy a couple of Vango Banshee 200's instead. Any thoughts?

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:56 am

Camping is so cheap in relation to buying accommodation, a week wild camping in Scotland will be both more enjoyable and cheaper than a single night in a London hotel even if you have bought the most expensive tent in the shop. So don't go for false economy.

My Saunders Spacepacker bought before 1980 and by far the single most valuable item I possessed at the time is still going strong with only replacement of the floor tray every 5 years or so, easily done at home on the sewing machine. Countless nights over the last 30 years.

The problem of the cheap tent is knowing when to retire it, we have had some washed out nights with the kids when our cheap 'camping from the car' tents disintegrated trying to get 3 years use out of a 2 year tent.

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Jamesl2play

You and your son would be better off with these tents from Argos: Half price at the moment and highly regarded little tent. It even got a good review from the editor of TGO magazine a few yrs ago.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 108132.htm

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:12 pm

Mike,
Thats a well cheap tent. In the end we have just bought 2No. Banshees for £64 each. Time was getting on and I did not want to leave it to the last minute (as per normal)
They look good tents for the money.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

Jim