Overnight trips^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
naefearjustbeer

Overnight trips^

Post by naefearjustbeer » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:12 am

Looking to do my first overnight kayak trip. I will be paddling out to Eilean Nan Ron sometime this next month weather permitting with a small group. I have loads of camping equipment but not sure what the normal recomended essential must have items to take are. Any suggestions of essential items. I dont want to overload the kayak and end up with no space for some liquid refreshment for the evening. My previos camping ventures have either been whole family and the kitchen sink at proper campsites or motorbike tent sleeping bag and a muddy rally field, for a weekend of binge drinking where the only luxury is making it back to you tent.

Quest 129

Re: Overnight trips

Post by Quest 129 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:47 am

Definitely a good karimat. This becomes more important the older you get.
I purchased an inflatible job after several outings without. After a long paddle thro the Grey Dog , Garvellachs and round Belnahua we camped on a midge infested Luing.
After my meal I lay down on my new matress for a quick shut eye around 6pm and awoke at 3am.
A real coffee maker is also a good spirit uplifter.
I finished work this morning at 2am hence the ungodly hour of my response.

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:35 am

I have a thermarest and I find it is great at increasing comfort and wamrth. Well woth the money.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:58 am

Are you just looking after yourself or carrying kit for any of the others too? It makes a big difference to me whether I am catering for myself or sharing between 2 or 3 - the more people the bigger the pans have to be!

> Thermarest (who would be without one?)
> Sleeping bag - I'll be moving to the thinner one this month, huge space saving in warmer weather!
> Tent. Weight is less of an issue than how it packs down, you would be limited in storage options for a one touch tent which is pretty bulky, but could maybe get away with a larger ridge or geodesic type where you can separate inner/fly/poles/pegs and stow them where they fit. Best bet is take your smallest tent that isn't a bivi bag....
> Stove - for a weekend on your own you only need one that's reliable, for longer trips I take 2 also for catering for more people.
> Cookset - for yourself use mess tins, for more people you'll need a bigger cookset, just make sure you have room for it. To boil water use a pot with a lid or the small mess tin balancing the big one on top. A kettle is extravagent ;-) I tend to actually take my smallest MSR pan and XGK heat exchanger for brewing up on the basis that I can use it as a pan as well if I need to, and the pocket rocket fits nicely inside.
> Crockery - Eat out of the mess tins, if non-stick pans use plastic cutlery but make sure anyone else with you has their own crockery ;-) Need a cup.
> Baby wipes - great for cleaning up yourself, cutlery etc. If you are only doing one meal you could skip the washing up kit and rinse pans in the sea (not a stream).
> Head torch
> Radio - LW preferred but can get the main forecast on FM
> Spare clothing -It's nice to have a change of clothes for camp, you need no more than 1 set and if you have a drysuit they become even less relevant. You will probably want these to be thermals especially if you don't have a drysuit. Geoff Seddon may well come on and explain his 24/7 methodology, it does work and gives him space to bring an axe and other fore making tools.
> Footwear - Take at least a pair of trainers for off the water, if it's likely to be really rocky etc, a good pair of boots are so worth having despite being a pain to pack!
> Rainwear, just in case it decides to whilst you are in camp. Drysuits take too long to put on and you don't want to be cooking or playing round a fire in it....

You will of course have your navigation gear, safety gear, water and food, not to mention the beer.

Camera is up to you.

Any other gadgets tend to take up space and not get used, you are only going for one night and by the time you have unloaded, pitched camp, and cooked it will be time to chill out, at the worst plan the next days trip!

JIM

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:40 pm

I have a thermarest and I find it is great at increasing comfort and wamrth.
A seat converter for your thermarest, I just got one and its a definate must take.
Also if there are a few in your group, carry straps for the boats, they are surprisingly heavy loaded!
have a good trip.

Phil

RichardCree

Post by RichardCree » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:35 pm

Just spent a night using the exped air / doun Mat (size9) make the thermarest look / perform like crap. Alittle bit more expensive but worth every penny.

Helen H

Post by Helen H » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:58 pm

Thanks. I'm finding this thread useful as I'm planning my first week of camping/ kayaking too.
The woods would be silent if no bird sang except those that sing best.

Quest 129

Post by Quest 129 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:45 pm

RichardCree wrote:Just spent a night using the exped air / doun Mat (size9) make the thermarest look / perform like crap. Alittle bit more expensive but worth every penny.
Coming from a man who golfs on holiday weekends in the Borders thats a bit rich

RichardCree

Post by RichardCree » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:55 pm

Your trying to say what exactly???

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 04, 2006 7:26 pm

A decent saw! Got to try out my new Silky Zubat 330 on Bute - not cheap, but a WONDERFUL piece of kit!

Try this lot. Scroll right to the bottom of the page.

Also, a decent midge net - or better still, a full midge jacket! Kari-Tek are selling them.

Mike.