Perchance to dream....of Gigha^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Perchance to dream....of Gigha^

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:15 pm

Perchance to dream....

We awoke at 5am this morning to a very different day.

Douglas :o)
Last edited by Douglas Wilcox on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:33 pm

Looking at those photos, I've finally figured out the secret of the Douglas' perennial good weather.

Suffice to say...has anyone seen 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers?'

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:54 pm

Hello Mark, this was this morning's backdrop. We knew it was coming (and it got worse) but we just couldn't tear ourselves away from that beautiful campsite last night.

Douglas

karenmc

Post by karenmc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:27 pm

Not only another great photograph from Doug, but another good weather forecasting website. What are the most favoured/most reliable/most informative websites out there?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:53 pm

Theyr's good - also XC Weather - all linked in the Alamanc. M

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 pm

In another thread Douglas mentioned "Hebridean Islands". My first thought was Gigha but since it's on it's own and the weather has not been ideal for crossing to Islay or Jura, the other option would be Colonsay and Oransay but again, not ideal conditions for crossing to them. I've been too close to the Paps the last week to say for sure which side we are looking at but I'm still more convinced it's Gigha, in which case, did you manage to get accross the sound on some of the quieter days? If on the other hand you were out west, just how bad was the wind, like I say elsewhere, we managed to stick to the lee of Jura most of the week on account of some very nasty forecasts....

Despite seeing kayaks on Loch Feochan and being followed by a car and kayaks most of the way accross Seil we had the area entirely to ourselves with not another sighting of kayaks after we launched. Mind you there was the gig that appeared to be rowing towards the Corry from the west coast in horrendous conditions....... Perhaps it was a ghost ship?

Just wondering if we might at any point have been close to each other without actually making a sighting?

JIM

Chris Bolton

Sunset

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:15 pm

I'll go for Gigha; taking a guess that Douglas's first photo is a sunset not a sunrise (the sun doesn't rise that far south this time of year anyway?)

Chris

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 pm

Hi Jim and Cris, "Hebridean Islands" included Gigha, Gigalum and Cara. The weather on Saturday was atrocious but the weather window opened on Sunday but it promised to close again on Monday. We wondered about taking the car over on the ferry but the wind dropped by the time we arrived and we had a very pleasant paddle across to Gigha. We had lunch on Cara before heading round its south end and up its west coast. There was a very large swell and although the wind was only force 4, the tide rip combined with clapotis made for an interesting but photoless leg.

We then enjoyed an excellent surf up the west coast of Cara
before following the east coast of Gigha to its north end and then down the west coast of Gigha where we watched the sunset above.

This was dawn this morning in the shelter of the lee of the north end of Gigha. We paddled right past an otter.

This was a quiet spell on the return to the mainland. Only 1 photo on a three hour paddle!

This is looking back to Cara from the mainland. It looks so calm from the shore but in the middle the waves were up to 2 metres (crest to trough) and very close spaced. Combined with an adverse tide it was hard work and at one point we were only making 1.6km/hr. We then had a final slog against the flood tide that runs out past Rhunahaorine Point and were very pleased to get back to our launch site for a late breakfast of bacon butties.

Douglas

Jim

Re: Sunset

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:13 am

Chris Bolton wrote:I'll go for Gigha; taking a guess that Douglas's first photo is a sunset not a sunrise (the sun doesn't rise that far south this time of year anyway?)

Chris
Good points, I'm sure the sun does rise at this time of year (no idea where), but it would take an insomniac to see it, the sunset on the other hand is very much like the ones we saw all last week (not much rain, just way too much wind!).

Douglas, the weather sounds exactly as crazy as it was last wek and over the weekend. We caught the late tide Friday to finish our trip before Saturdays nastiness came in so caught sunset on the move (I should have some photo's on the film I've barely started - late PM of the Corry similar to Phil's "sun dogs" photo, and some of the Grey dogs and Lunga with the sun pretty much ready to set. Sunday I was buggy racing at Stevenston - BIG kites, hard work, and by the end of the day my arms were really thoroughly trashed, still I finished 4th which is as good as I could ever have hoped for which should leave me in good stead for the rest of the series (hoping top 5 will get to go to the World champs in Sept). A beautiful day for doing anything else :-)

JIM

applejack

Gigha

Post by applejack » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 am

I used to stay with the family every year at Ardpatrick at the tip of Knapdale and look out longingly at Gigha which in the late evening light looked like Avalon or some such promised land.
Always wanted to jink around Cara, Gigha,Islay and Jura but maybe giving the Corrywreckan whirlpool a miss !

Maybe in the next 12 months...who knows ?

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:31 pm

Glad to see you had some water on the lense in photo one (surf up west coast of Cara) Douglas - must have been the optio?

Any tips for drying lense before shots?

thanks Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Applejack>
I used to stay with the family every year at Ardpatrick at the tip of Knapdale and look out longingly at Gigha which in the late evening light looked like Avalon or some such promised land.
Hello Applejack What a lovely despription of the view of Gigha.
View from Ardpatrick Point to Gigha

There is also also a nice coast to paddle on up to "dangerous" Loch Stornoway.

Ollie>
Glad to see you had some water on the lense in photo one (surf up west coast of Cara) Douglas - must have been the optio?

Any tips for drying lense before shots?

Hi Ollie, gosh you want perfection! Although the waves dont look very big in a wide angle lens photo, Mike is actually only one wave in front of Harvey, but is completley invisible in the trough. There were actually two wave patterns at 90 degrees to one another. The SW swell was being reflected off the sheer west coast of Cara causing an interference pattern which interfered with my photography. It was a one handed shot with the Sony U60. I normally wipe the lens with a wee piece of chamois leather but that requires two hands.

Jim>
A beautiful day for doing anything else :-)

Jim it was one of the most perfect camps. I had camped there before but there was not a lot of wood for the fire!

So this time Harvey brought a sack of logs to augment the driftwood.
Karen, glad you liked the photo, thank you. It was taken at f4.0 13 secs and 100 ASA. I thought Mike did very well to sit still enough!

Douglas

PS Harvey has ordered a Kelly Kettle AND a pressure cooker!

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:10 pm

Jumping on bandwagon - BUT - have a spare camping pressure cooker

http://www.outdoorsportz.com/OGCWOOOO1065.html

New - ordered 2 from America cause it was just as cheap!

pm me if you are interested.

H - x

ps - Agree with Douglas - they are brilliant! - if heavy!

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:13 pm

ps - Douglas - where will best of weather be this weekend? - bearing in mind you have blotted your copybook slightly with some ... challenging weather on last trip!

H - x

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:39 pm

Cooker gone! Too late everyone - this is the gadget of the future. Recommended by Douglas, me & Dave, and, hopefully, Harvey.

H - x

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:49 pm

Douglas Wilcox wrote: I normally wipe the lens with a wee piece of chamois leather but that requires two hands.
Any other suggestions for lens drying? Despite looking dead calm here it was lumpy enough for the camera to get splashed regularly.

Andrea.

mikeybaby

Post by mikeybaby » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:40 pm

hello andrea nice to put a name to a face. I paddled past you round st bees in the play boats on sunday.

With regard keeping the lens dry, sometimes I find the water adds to the photo (in my opinion) see below. Same coastline as your photo 2 weeks earlier

I have a water proof housing for mine. However I find if I put a little bit of oil on the lense, not much then the water does not "stick" and I get only a minimum drop in quality

Harvey.Anderson

Post by Harvey.Anderson » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:42 am

Just waiting on my Kelly Kettle and pressure cooker to arrive.

I have now given up on using a meths stove as I believe they are a
complete waste of time.

Very impressed with the kelly kettle.

Harvey

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:34 pm

andreadawn wrote:
Douglas Wilcox wrote: I normally wipe the lens with a wee piece of chamois leather but that requires two hands.
Any other suggestions for lens drying? Despite looking dead calm here it was lumpy enough for the camera to get splashed regularly.

Andrea.
More of a workaround than a solution, get the aperture wide open at the fastest speed possible for the narrowest focal plane and all but the biggest drips should disappear, you will also minimise shake due to motion of the boat. I've mentioned the bar towel I kepp in my camera bag before, if the worst comes to the worst I can use it to wipe the lens, normally reduces any big drips to little ones that disappear... Last weeks trip had some of the worst splashy, heaving rolling condtions I've taken photos in so I'll be interested to see my rate of success when I get my slides back!

JIM

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 pm

Mmmm, my camera's in a waterproof housing with a home made lens cap which keeps the lens perfectly dry when it's on deck in my bumbag.

What tends to happen though is that as soon as I get the camera out, I need the paddle to brace with for a few seconds, so I just put it down on the spraydeck (it's tied on) or let it dangle round my neck on its' strap. Drips from the paddle or my hands are then magically attracted to the lens rather than anywhere else.

Whatever I use to try and dry it, it always ends up smeared as a result. Maybe I need to buy a better quality chamois? Or just paddle the K1 more since I don't need to brace as often.

Andrea.

ps It looked hard work in a playboat Mikey. It seemed to be windier than forecast.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:46 pm

andreadawn wrote:Mmmm, my camera's in a waterproof housing with a home made lens cap which keeps the lens perfectly dry when it's on deck in my bumbag.

What tends to happen though is that as soon as I get the camera out, I need the paddle to brace with for a few seconds, so I just put it down on the spraydeck (it's tied on) or let it dangle round my neck on its' strap. Drips from the paddle or my hands are then magically attracted to the lens rather than anywhere else.

Whatever I use to try and dry it, it always ends up smeared as a result. Maybe I need to buy a better quality chamois? Or just paddle the K1 more since I don't need to brace as often.

Andrea.

ps It looked hard work in a playboat Mikey. It seemed to be windier than forecast.
Buy paddles with drip rings, dry your hands before handling the camera, and if you have to do any paddling whilst the camera is out of the bag take it easy, keep your hands away from the water and make the blade entry and exit as clean as possible. I tend to put my camera round my neck in case I need to brace or something and rarely splash it. In the grand canyon whilst relegated to an oar raft (shoulder injury) I took the secure precaution of pointing the lens at myself and shielding the camera from splashes with my body, whilst clinging on with only one good arm - again this mostly worked so may be worth a try unless you are dripping wet.

Nikons seem tougher than they look, mine laugh off fresh water splashes and chuckle at the thought of salt water being able to harm them..... well maybe not, but they are remarkably corrosion free and working despite the abuse!

JIM

Mike Marshall

Water free Lenses

Post by Mike Marshall » Mon May 01, 2006 10:23 pm

It is a constant problem the smear free lens and I believe that it doesnt relate to the camera you are using.
Early days with the Optio were causing me serious problems, however I now "park" it in my top pocket of my BA. As I unzip the pocket I have a highly absorbent cloth laid out as a U shape and push the camera into this cleaning the lens every time I "park" it.
Having given it some serious thought and in preparation for the forthcoming St Kilda trip, I purchased some "Wurth Visor Rain repellant". ( A polymer coating) This was following a talk with Goldspoon one evening.
This is used by motorcyclists for their visors. A simple spray on and wipe with a soft cloth and the water is then dispersed immediately for weeks on end. It cost £4.99 for 100ml.
I havent actually tried this yet, however I will post as soon as I have.
Knowing my luck it will probably b**ger up the lens on my Optio!!
But if it works...;-) I will apply it to my SECRET weapon (gadget) which will blow Douglas away on the St Kilda trip!!!

MikeM

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu May 04, 2006 10:45 pm

The full picture set is now available here.

Goldspoon

Post by Goldspoon » Fri May 05, 2006 12:57 pm

I purchased some Rain X from Halfords, hope to try it very shortly.

Jules