Greta (Keswick) - what gauge/ levels nowadays?

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Ng245

Greta (Keswick) - what gauge/ levels nowadays?

Post by Ng245 »

I can’t find a level for the Greta on rainchasers and it seems the gauge at low briery no longer exists. Does anyone know what gauge we should be looking at now (riddings wood?) and a rough guide to the levels? Thanks!
G7AFM

Re: Greta (Keswick) - what gauge/ levels nowadays?

Post by G7AFM »

can only find 2 stations for the Greta hope they are of help

https://riverlevels.uk/greta-keswick-gr ... f-aK-rP1PY
Ng245

Post by Ng245 »

Thanks! I've since found that a working gauge and suggested paddleable levels for the Greta can be found on 'riverapp'. They are using the gauge at Greta Bridge with suggested low @ 1.5m, medium @ 2m and high @ 3m.
charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Use the EA page not the apps that use the environment agency data feed. These sites are less well maintained.

https://check-for-flooding.service.gov. ... ta-cumbria

If it’s not on the ea site the station has a data quality or telemetry problem and has been temporarily turned off until it’s fixed.
alp1ne

Post by alp1ne »

I think the access agreement states it shouldn’t be paddled below a certain level because of damage to spawning beds. Someone might be able to give a more accurate figure but I think this corresponds to 1.7/1.8 on the new gauge. I don’t think I’d want to paddle it below this anyway.
callwild

Post by callwild »

alp1ne wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:07 pm
I think the access agreement states it shouldn’t be paddled below a certain level because of damage to spawning beds. Someone might be able to give a more accurate figure but I think this corresponds to 1.7/1.8 on the new gauge. I don’t think I’d want to paddle it below this anyway.
This spate agreement is only for November and December; and the equivalent guage readings are around 1.6 at Greta Bridge (and 1.7 at Ridings wood at the put in).
This 1.6 level is regarded as a good Medium level and not a scrape at all.

The minimum I would consider as a scrape level would be 1.18 at Greta Bridge. A few bumpy rapids but generally a still enjoyable trip.

Return to “England - Northwest”