River Dove - Doveridge-Tamworth

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Ollie Martin

River Dove - Doveridge-Tamworth

Post by Ollie Martin »

Hi all,

I recently bought a sit-on kayak and took it on a trip from Doveridge to Tamworth with another more experienced kayaker. We have done a large amount of research around this route to ensure we were justified in navigating the route and couldn't find anything concrete one way or the other (which seems to be the standard for most of the research I've done).
The only thing I could find in writing was to not disturb the fish at the Fish Passes/Free Gaps, which only appears to include Tamworth Weir, which arguably we were careful not to do (I'm not sure how far up or downstream from a fish pass a fish could be considered to have been "scared, hindered or prevented from passing through").
We passed 4 anglers, who in-order:
1. Commented on what a lovely day it was
2. Said nothing
3. Asked my companion to steer clear of his line as he had not seen the angler at all, and then commented to me if we were having fun, and had we actually gone down the weir!
4. Commented that we needed "special permission" to travel on the river, but we probably frustrated him by getting the way of his line as, again, we had not seen him hidden in the reeds.

In all it was a successful 21km journey and a lot of fun.

I thought I'd post in case anyone else had experience of this route and had any comments, suggestions or warnings. I have read that there are portions of the river that you can "only kayak for 2 days in the year", but in the absence of any actual rules about the other 363 days, felt like we were forearmed against any challenges.

twopigs

Re: River Dove - Doveridge-Tamworth

Post by twopigs »

Ollie Martin wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:54 pm

The only thing I could find in writing was to not disturb the fish at the Fish Passes/Free Gaps, which only appears to include Tamworth Weir, which arguably we were careful not to do (I'm not sure how far up or downstream from a fish pass a fish could be considered to have been "scared, hindered or prevented from passing through").
Probably about the same distance as designated "no-fishing zones" at Fish Passes and Fish Gaps.

Fishermen on one of my local stretches are getting very polite - indicating which part of the river they would like me to use, commenting on the weather - just saying "good Morning" or "good Afternoon" as appropriate, but then I do hang back waiting for guidance - or observing where they are fishing and avoiding that part and being polite to them. Seems to be working well!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Return to “England - Midlands”