Salisbury area rivers

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
PedroS

Salisbury area rivers

Post by PedroS »

I have read lots on this forum about the Avon between Salisbury and the sea and it seems to be a bit of a headache understanding what is possible on this stretch.

I was going to take up this sport around 8yrs ago but information on access I found was to little so didn't persue it but here we are.

Does anybody on here use the rivers in and around Salisbury for pleasure?

Also, could anybody point me to information on accessing rivers, portages (because then I'd be on someone's land) so I can read and research more as to what is deemed acceptable?

Have done iford bridge down to Hengistbury head with my 4yr old and we loved it but that was undoubtedly OK to do so looking for something closer to home without having to drive 2hrs!!

Any help advice would be hugely appreciated.

Pete.

Chas C

Re: Salisbury area rivers

Post by Chas C »

Pete, have you tried Salisbury Canoe Club ?. https://www.salisburycanoeclub.org.uk/

PedroS

Post by PedroS »

Can I turn up there with an Intex explorer😂

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

PedroS wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:22 pm
Can I turn up there with an Intex explorer😂
They are a nice group of people, I'm sure they would not refuse anyone. But you could try visiting and asking their advice as I'm sure they know the Avon river well.

PedroS

Post by PedroS »

Yes, a good idea and I will go along when time permits. Talking to some experienced paddlers is what I need to make the next steps in this venture. Cheers Chas.

Return to “England - Southwest”