Waterproof flare tubes^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ChrisS

Waterproof flare tubes^

Post by ChrisS » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:22 am

I see that waterproof flare tubes in two sizes to fit Pains Wessex handheld and parachute flares are in Knoydart's catalogue. £19.95 and £22.50.

It should be quite easy to make up your own flare tube for handheld flares from a section of 32mm sink waste pipe and push-fit fittings. But the parachute flare needs an internal diameter of about 50mm which, as far as I can tell, does not conform with any readily available plumbing materials.

Graham Bland

Post by Graham Bland » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:34 am

Marley do a 50mm waste pipe which fits the Parachute flares nicely

- but the bayonet style caps (the only ones I could find for this) are not as secure as screw fits and you end up with a raised edge at each end which could damage the deck.

Graham

ianzippy

Post by ianzippy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:25 pm

Just to add to the waterproofing of flares advice, bought a variety of hand smokes, rocket flares and pinpoint flares from Compass (http://www.compass24.com/) and all arrived individually waterproofed in heavy duty plastic bags, with an easy tear open bit for cold hands (i would guess?).
All from different manaufacturers, so not sure if this is Compass's own initiative or do some manufacturers do this as routine now?
No need to go and buy plastic tubing now!
Anyway, if anyones in the market for new flares, compass may be the way to go.
Ian
"Love many, Trust few, Learn to paddle your own canoe / kayak (delete as appropriate)"

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:54 am

Graham Bland wrote:- but the bayonet style caps (the only ones I could find for this) are not as secure as screw fits and you end up with a raised edge at each end which could damage the deck.
I could only find the bayonet style caps as well. They seem to be completely secure and watertight after much rescue practise recently. I taped a layer of closed cell foam from a cheap sleepmat around mine to keep the edge of the caps off the deck (I've added a slightly wider "collar" since the pic was taken). Also makes them easier to handle when they are wet and you have cold hands.

Andrea.

ps If I can make these things anybody can!

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:37 pm

Osma make low profile screw on capsfor their solvent weld 50mm drain pipe. I haven't got round to getting the fittings and pipe yet. They are not particularly cheap, perhaps the Knoydart ones aren't that bad value after all.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:57 pm

ChrisS wrote:Osma make low profile screw on capsfor their solvent weld 50mm drain pipe. I haven't got round to getting the fittings and pipe yet. They are not particularly cheap, perhaps the Knoydart ones aren't that bad value after all.
Grahams plumbing merchants sell Osma - caps are £2.20 ish each (2 needed) - £2.50 ish each for the connector socket (2 needed) to join the tube to the cap- £15 or so for 4 meters of pipe - each tube uses about 17cms of pipe so that's about 23 tubes from the 4 mtr length, or 65p per flare tube length. £6 for a tub of solvent. That's £10 a flare tube. Ish. Or over £30 if you only make one - mind you, you've then got nearly 4 meters of 50mm pipe left, and lots of solvent ;-)

The Osma caps are used on the tube I got from Carlise Canoes last year - can't recall exact price, but around the same as the Knoydart offering iirc and the pics look similar anyway.

So if 11 people wanted 2 tubes each - - -

(If you're doing it, can we have some pics please? Not the most difficult of jobs to make them, but it would be a nice wee article to have on site)

Mike.