Why is it so hard to buy a kayak?

Commercial gear, films, books, etc.
darwin59

Why is it so hard to buy a kayak?

Post by darwin59 »

We're trying to buy some smaller Dagger and/or Pyranha kayaks for our club and most dealers can't get us any until August or later. There must be a large market of people staying in the UK this summer and would like kit but aren't able to spend their money. Is there some problem with manufacturing/importing? Anyone else having problem buying boats?

Chris Bolton

Re: Why is it so hard to buy a kayak?

Post by Chris Bolton »

There must be a large market of people staying in the UK this summer
That's the problem! A huge expansion of the customer base but the same number of plastic moulding factories. The second hand market is also frantic - boats advertised on this forum are often sold within hours.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

It isn't just kayaks, there are dozen of industries that have seen increases in demand thanks to the pandemic causing massive supply problems. Bikes, PCs, computer components, gaming consoles, virtual reality headsets, to name just a few, are still in short supply.

A sensible manufacturing operation will run close to their capacity if they can, in some cases leaving a bit of slack to enable them to be flexible might be a good idea. But it only takes a relatively small prolonged increase in demand to completely bring things to a grinding halt if companies can't easily increase capacity. And even if they could increase capacity it may well not make sense to, given the increased demand is going to vanish once things get back to normal.

And we aren't talking about a small increase in demand last year. There were easily ten times the number of people out on our local rivers last summer and those are just the people who actually managed to buy boats !

Franky

Post by Franky »

andynormancx wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 pm
It isn't just kayaks, there are dozen of industries that have seen increases in demand thanks to the pandemic causing massive supply problems. Bikes, PCs, computer components, gaming consoles, virtual reality headsets, to name just a few, are still in short supply.
I wanted a set of dumbells so that I'd have strength for when I got back on white water. Never found any: sold out everywhere.

+ Wool jumpers. Dogs.

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

someone on facebook marketplace selling off 8 x dagger GT's

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

cant seem to directly link. its in the outdoor gear exchange group on facebook.

www.facebook.com/groups/usedgearexchang ... 4545411692

kayakski

Post by kayakski »

Hi, I heard that there is a delivery problem with parts from Asia, the kayaks are made and waiting for this delivery. From what my source told me delivery was scheduled for November then earlier this year then delivery was unknown. All kayak manufacturers in the U.K. are working flat out and overwhelmed with orders. On BBC Scotland today they were saying that Sea Kayaking is one of the most sought after escapes for this summer not only here but all round the U.K. Anything that floats secondhand has a premium price and sold very quickly. Best of luck getting your kayaks.

pauldurand156

Post by pauldurand156 »

Hello there, i live in France i'd like to buy a kayak. Do you recommend me to buy a inflatable or a rigid one ? I have a city car so that could be hard with a rigid kayak no ?
Thanks for your help.

pauldurand156

Post by pauldurand156 »

Good evening there,
If you are insterested in doing canoeing in France, I know some great spots there.
You can find and book one or several canoeing activity online on this website : https://www.babasport.fr/recherche?cate ... _map=false

I wish you all, a nice evening.

kevinbuckley70

Post by kevinbuckley70 »

I'm also struggling to buy a kayak. Fairly new to this but with a good budget. Looking for something like the Chelan 140. Drop stitch two seater for mostly single person use. Any suggestions what else is similar/recommended and possibly in stock somewhere?

J B Weld

Post by J B Weld »

Problems with supply, greater demand.

People are staying within our shores for their hols, and want something to do, and that has upped demand.

Some of the biggest factories in the world that make the raw materials for plastics are in Texas. Many were hit badly by last winters flooding and output has reduced greatly. This has made the raw materials scarce for manufacturing kayaks.

So less kayaks being made, more people clamouring for them, and thats where we are now. Fortunately I got mine.

Sandy10

Post by Sandy10 »

It's impossible to buy anything at the moment. Supply issues in China, Suez canal being temporarily blocked, it will all get better with time, crazy world we live in at the moment!

Return to “Products and Media”