Waterproof map/chart cases^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ChrisS

Waterproof map/chart cases^

Post by ChrisS » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:51 pm

Are there any that are really reliably waterproof? I mean submersible rather than just splashproof. About A3 size (297mm x 420mm / 11.75" x 16.5")

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:00 pm

Hello Chris, My Ortlieb A3 has survived many wet sessions. Have only ever got an occasional drop of water in. If you have computer mapping software, an A4 laminator is very useful. It will laminate two a4 sheets back to back.
Douglas

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:32 pm

I've had two Ortlieb map cases the first one discoloured with age; but was still waterproof. At the moment I'm using a Sealine map case which is a bit bigger than A3 (approx 20 inch x 14 inch or 510mm x 350mm) again with no problems with wet maps/charts.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:50 pm

Another vote for the big Seal-Line case. Mine just started to leak a bit at the end of last season - after 6 years of use, the fabric 'frame' pieces are starting to tear away from the plastic case. Might even be able to patch it up for another season with Aquasure - not really looked yet. The size is great, you can have a large area of map accessible in the A3 format (back-to-back with a chart if that takes your fancy) and simply fold the whole case to display the area you want at any one time before tucking under the deck lines.

But as Douglas says - mapping software a colour printer and a laminator are great as well. I'm gradually building up a set of A4 'tiles' of areas I paddle regularly.

Dave Thomas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:44 pm

Ortleib again - they call it a "document case" iirc - no leakage probs as long as you do the ""fold and velcro seal properly. Early Orleib cases suffered from yellow discoloration but that problem seems to have been fixed in the last few years.

The one I have now must be a couple of years old and was in fact the one provided by Ortleib when I contacted them about the yellowing on what was then a 5 year old case. It was replaced without question. Which is what I call service!

Mike.

NickB

Post by NickB » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:50 am

Ortleib, A3 doc case for maps, A5 for GPS/Phone
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

tg

Re: Waterproof map/chart cases^

Post by tg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:00 pm

New comment to an old thread. Chris, why not buy yourself a laminater, they're quite cheap and will easily cope with A3. Copy your map and chart, trim it to give a wide border and laminate away. This way you can do many copies for those in your party, so everybody 'is on the same page', and a hole punch can be used to help fix a lanyard.

Tim.

PS. I bet this is old news by now.
"I sink therfore I am".

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm

The LOMO one appears to be good value I have had it out couple of times and all stayed dry within.
Dave

Rockpool GT

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm with Douglas, an Ortlieb mapcase and laminated copies of Memory Map/Anquet/scans for day trips.

Keep an eye out for Aldi/Lidl special offers for the laminating stuff too.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:12 am

I've been using toughprint paper for a couple of years now - printing from memory map of course.
I still normally keep the maps in my map case but have got them wet several times for various reasons and the ink hasn't run yet.
The best example would be the ones from our coast to coast last year, portaging over Rannoch moor with a canoe I couldn't be bothered to faff with a map case so just had them rolled up in my pocket through sun, wind, rain and snow...

Jim

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:47 am

soundoftheseagull wrote:The LOMO one appears to be good value I have had it out couple of times and all stayed dry within.
Mine fell apart in a single days' use last summer. Crap.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

ga2.s

Post by ga2.s » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:46 am

I go for the memory map/laminater option myself and i take a marker pen with me so i can write notes on them.
Dream it
Plan it
Do it

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:51 am

In the end I bought one of Axel Schoevers' hand-made map cases.