61ft whale washed up on Solway^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Helen M

61ft whale washed up on Solway^

Post by Helen M » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Since this was reported last week the size of the whale has been increased to 61ft after being measured. Unforutnately the whale has now died - but is estimated to weigh 50 tons. It's a bit of shock to find whales weighing so much this close to home!

H - x

Report:

A STRANDED 30-foot whale has died on the rocks of Barlocco Island, Borgue.

The huge mammal, weighing several tons, was discovered at around 9am on Tuesday (21st March).

An SSPCA inspector who made her way to the scene, east of Carrick, found the creature was badly injured after thrashing about on the rocks.

The whale, thought to be a female Minky, was still alive and thought to have been stuck on land for several days.

Following discussions with experts on whether it was necessary to ease its suffering, it was decided the animal was already close to death and that it was best to just let nature take its course.

Representatives of SEPA and the environmental health as well as Stewartry ranger Keith Kirk also went to the area but were unable to get close to the whale due to dangerous tides.

SEPA have confirmed that as the whale is not easily accessible, its removal will also be left to nature.

Minky whales are one of the most common varieties around UK shores. Females can grow to up to 36 feet long - males 28ft - and can weigh up to ten tons.

The animals normally live to be around 50 years of age.

SSPCA inspector Iona Brooke, who is based in Stranraer said: “We could tell it had been there a while because there was a lot of blood pooled around - it wasn’t a pleasant scene to come across.”

She urged anyone who finds an injured animal in the area to contact the SSPCA, a local vet or ranger Keith Kirk to make them aware of the situation.

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:52 pm

Apparently it's a Fin Whale - the second largest in the world after the Blue Whale.

http://www.whalingtimes.com/Fin%20Whale%20Page.htm

H -x

muzz

Post by muzz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:32 pm

Very interesting and a good site, my father was a whaler with Christian Salvesen.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Very sad. I am going down to the Solway on Sat and Sun. I am sure the smell will guide me to it.

The Barlocco shore was notorious for wrecking sailing ships. I am sorry to hear about the whale but I doubt it would have had much chance on these reefs.

In 2001 a sperm whale got washed up on Boreray near North Uist. In 2005 this was all that was left. and beside it there was a dead orca.

Douglas

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:17 pm

Hmm .. the area may be smelly for sometime as they can take a year to decompose!

The photo in the Galloway News is amazing. The whale is huge!

H - x

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:51 pm

I seem to recall from my honeymoon in Iceland that they sometimes use explosives to break up dead whales - though that has apparently gone wrong on times!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:20 pm

We popped over to Barlocco today - here's some pics from Helen :

- - and some of mine :

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:55 am

I came across a whale once on the Maryport side of the Solway Firth

Her name was.............

Sorry, couldn't resist that :0)
• aimin' to be misbehavin' •

Uisce

Post by Uisce » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:55 pm

Bertie wrote: I seem to recall from my honeymoon in Iceland that they sometimes use explosives to break up dead whales - though that has apparently gone wrong on times!

Not just Iceland my friend. When it comes to exploding whales America (like for most things) like to be the biggest and best! If you've got a minute to spare you can watch the famous exploding whale episode (how not to do it) right here:

http://home.comcast.net/~sthacks/new_wh ... le-med.mov