Kokatat Maximus Centurion Quick Release Threading

Inland paddling
ConorMatt

Kokatat Maximus Centurion Quick Release Threading

Post by ConorMatt »

Hey!
I've bought a Kokatat Maximus Centurion and the instructions for the quick release harness state the ONLY correct way to thread it is to go through the metal plate. Obviously, this goes against everything i've ever been taught. Do I follow the instructions on the harness, or do I thread it without the plate?

Chalky723

Re: Kokatat Maximus Centurion Quick Release Threading

Post by Chalky723 »

Up to you!!

I always use the plate, but then my tag end is cut short enough to pull through the plate as soon as I pull the release.

It just means if I need to secure myself to something on the bank, I can do it straight away & quickly.

If you prefer just through the plastic, it's up to you.

I imagine it's quite a divisive subject!!!

D
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

In the early days of these things, there were two alternative ways of threading. If you were wanting to secure yourself to a solid object on the bank to ensure you were not dragged into the river when belaying, you used the metal plate since this was secure. If you were doing a live-bait rescue, you needed to be able to extricate yourself from the harness really easily so the plate was not used and you used just the QR clip.

Maybe this has changed?

ConorMatt

Post by ConorMatt »

Yeah, It's only a little more difficult to release the harness when its under load and threaded through the metal plate, but definitely not enough that it wouldn't release easily.I guess I will follow what Kokatat say and always use the plate. I can't see them giving bad advice about their BAs.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”