WW rivers in the UK with the same name!

Inland paddling
banzer

WW rivers in the UK with the same name!

Post by banzer »

Nerd post. I expect to see replies from Tim and Mike. Any others are a bonus! :)

Which wins on average? Only rules are, 'upper sections' where it goes by a different name (eg. Grains Gill) don't count. Has anyone paddled all in a set?

Derwent (Derbyshire): mostly flat, gd 2, some weirs, good training run, often has water
Derwent (N Yorks): flat touring. Howsham weir playspot nr York
Derwent (Lake District): various well known sections including a little gd 3 higher up, then good touring all the way to the sea
Derwent (Northumberland / Durham): 2/3, rarely runs

Leven (Lakes): Classic grade 3/4 run, goes often
Leven (W Scotland) serious grade 5 waterfall run
Leven (Loch Lomond) Flat, wide touring river
Leven (Fife) Some weirs; no idea
Leven (N York Moors, joins the Tees): some weirs, no idea

Greta (Lakes): classic grade 3 run
Greta (Tees): grade 3/4 for when it rains
Greta (Ingleton): grade 2/3 spate / play run

Doe (Ingleton): classic tight gd 5 waterfall run
Doe (nr Fort Augustus, Loch Ness): large dam in upper reaches now, also steep, but damned in lower reaches: unknown
Doe (Glen Moriston): recently being paddled again due to intake works: solid 4/5 boating and big waterfall portage

Esk (Lothian): classic gd 4 run on the N.Esk and S. Esk... but does it count if is has a 'north' in front of it?
Esk (N York Moors): spate boating, gd 2-4
Esk ('Border Esk'): short but popular section of 3/4
Esk (Lakes): Spate boating, steep waterfalls down to chilled 2/3

Honourable mentions: The various 'Uisge Dubh' or Blackwaters in Scotland.... too many to count and not included because they are descriptive and hence very common!

Have I missed anything?
Last edited by banzer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Chris Bolton

Re: WW rivers in the UK with the same name!

Post by Chris Bolton »

Calder (Lancashire); flows into the Ribble, gd 2?
Calder (Yorkshire): flows into the Aire, gd? weirs?
* these two flow in opposite directions from the same watershed in the Cliviger gorge
Calder (Cumbria): flows through Sellafield (but get out before that!) gd 2/3
Calder (Highland): flows into the Spey gd 2 + a gorge?
Calder (Renfrewshire): ?

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Dee (Dentdale) interesting waterfall / canyon run
Also the better known Welsh & Scottish versions

Clydach - (mountain stream), numerous in Wales, several of which are classic & some which aren't, often gr4 ish

Avon - most are flat, or only weirs, but Dartmoor version has some dirty drops

2 Troutbecks in Lakes (& looks like others near Penrith & Upper Tees, but don't know if been paddled)

Wye (English /Welsh border) & (Derbyshire - weirs?)

Tawe & Tywi (Towey), different spelling, same pronunciation...

Yorkshire Calder has the Sowerby Bridge white water site: https://www.halifaxcanoe.org.uk/about-u ... al-canals/

I have paddled all 3 Gretas.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Ran the two Lakes Trout Becks on the same cold snowy day a few years ago in high water levels. South first followed by North, smashing days paddling and a great day out.

Peter

kkjfd

Post by kkjfd »

There's a couple of Clywedog's - quite different in character.

One is a tributary of the Severn, mainly gr 2, the other runs into the Wnion and is stupidly steep and narrow.

Kevin

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives »

Good call.
Esk and Avon just mean river, hence the large number of river rivers, especially where the locals aren't very imaginative.
See also Pendle hill - translation hill hill hill

Jim

Post by Jim »

There is a pronunciation issue with some that are spelt the same way, Leven and Leven for example. I've only paddled 2 of them, although I did portage a canoe up the hardest one and paddled on the reservoir that it runs out of so can probably claim 3. I paddle on one of them almost daily, 5km tonight.

Surely the N.Esk and S.Esk you list under Lothian are in Angus? Although there is also one in Lothian... I have paddled 3 of the Esks, North, Border and the Ravenglass one, although the latter has always been as part of Seaquest usually in sea kayak, although I did it in a canoe one year.

Can't remember if I ever paddled the Yorks Calder or just on the canal next to it, I have paddled up the Renfrewshire one from Castle Semple Loch several times but it shallows up really quickly so hard toget very far. It runs down from Clyde Muirshiel Country Park and there are some waterfalls further up which go, and a nasty horseshoe fall/weir which doesn't, but I've only looked once and it was too low.

There are quite a few Carrons in Scotland, one in the central belt (goes under the M80), Well known one in NE Highland (Bonar Bridge), another one running south from near Achnasheen to Loch Carron, and I'm pretty sure the river running down towards Gairloch marked as the Kerry on the OS map has a road sign claiming it is also a Carron. I've only run the NE one.

Allen (Northumbria - nice run with enough water)
Allen Water (Stirling - still not run this, again needs a lot of water)

Apart from preceeding the name or most rivers in Wales there are quite a few Avon's named as such:
Bristol Avon (Wilts & Somerset) (paddled a lot of this one in the past)
Hampshire Avon
Warwickshire Avon (Shakespeare country)
Avon (Lanarkshire) (Nice grade 4 ish upper section and easier lower section) (pronunciation issue with this one, possibly all Scottish ones)
Avon (Speyside)
And I'm bound to have missed some.

Poke

Post by Poke »

banzer wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 am
Nerd post. I expect to see replies from Tim and Mike.
Nerds? What are you trying to say! :-)

Anyway, I see I've been beaten to it. Was going to suggest various Calder's and Dee's.
Don't think I've paddled all to make a full set though.

I've paddled two of the Carrons Jim is on about (the ones in the scottish guidebook)

There's also two Lochy's I've paddled in Scotland (though only a short bit of the flat one on the run out after Spean Gorge)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Jim

Post by Jim »

Two Lochy's and a Lochay. I've done all of the easy one and none of the hard one, and the last flat bit of the Lochay from Killin hotel to the Dochart confluence, just before it joins Loch Tay.

Also have a River Kinglass in Argyll & Bute and an Allt Kinglas that runs into the Orchy. The river is a good run, the Allt is a bit of a one drop wonder.

There are 2 Douglas Waters in Argyll and Bute (I haven't done either but they are run) one into Loch Lomond, the other into Loch Fyne. Apparently there is one in Lanarkshire too but I know nothing about that one.

Garry (Inverness-shire) classic dam release play section
Garry (Perthshire) also restricted by dam(s) but no release, needs quite a lot of water but gets pretty chunky when well up with no eddies above the grade 5/6 bit. I think below that is an easier section into Loch Tummel, I haven't done either section, although I have watched the eddies disappearing whilst friends were on the upper section (they walked out long before that, it was rising very rapidly).

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe »

I think in Wales there are also 5 Dulas and a Dulais!
Jason

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Four R Couze in France and two R Auze

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Presumably the East & West Lyn of Devon are related to the Linns (waterfalls) of the North.

The Welsh guidebook lists 6 clydachs, 6 clywedogs, 3 dulais, 5 dulas, 2 gwili, 2 honddu, 2 llafar, 2 llynfi & 3 twrch. (I have also done both gwilis!)
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

There's at least 3 Blackwaters in Scotland alone I think.

jriddell

Post by jriddell »

You can find the reasons for some of these in our pronunciation guide from the Scottish White Water Guidebook https://www.andyjacksonfund.org.uk/rive ... unciation/

Esk just means river in ancient Celtic langauges. Abhainn, Afon, Avon, likewise in modern Celtic languages.

The Leven in Fife is most under appreciated, here's our video

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

It would also appear to be too low...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”