Reed chillcheater dry cag

Inland paddling
aglsmith

Reed chillcheater dry cag

Post by aglsmith »

Hey,

Any thoughts / comments on Reeds aquatherm chillcheater dry cags? How Durable, waterproof, fit etc. I’ve used KOGG (many moons ago) and now a peak deluxe to compare it to.

Thanks

followme

Re: Reed chillcheater dry cag

Post by followme »

My thoughts based on many years use of chillcheater cags:

They are well suited for weirs, artificial courses, sea paddling.
Not so well suited for river trips that may involve portaging through brushes / trees.

Which ties in with probably the main reason I bought my first chillcheater cag. I found them to be so much more supple and less restrictive compared to a traditional heavy duty cag.

The non latex seals are generally very good and certainly no red neck (my only gripe is I have found them to sometimes flush through the wrist cuffs, there's no overcuff, but only when I've paddled on weirs such as Hambleden, Sunbury, Boulters or LV Olympic course).

Can't fault the fit unless you have problems measuring yourself :-)

The first cags I had I found I needed to treat them with more TLC otherwise the seam tape used on new cags separated easily (although the reseaming tape was different and was more resilient). This did cause me to question continuing to buy chillcheater but I bought my last long sleeved cag as the new tape had been changed and it has lasted much longer than before (I have used it regularly for 7+ years and the seam tape is only now starting to come away in a few places although that might be because I've taken better care of it).

I've used both short and long sleeved cags with similar satisfaction. Would I recommend them? Well the shortie is still going strong (after lots of use over lots of years) and I plan on replacing my long sleeve cag with another chillcheater.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Good news on the seams. I used to use Reed cagdecks some time ago, the first one lasted well but the second had problems with seams. I guess I should have followed it up with Reed but I never bothered. I found them very comfortable and surprisingly dry, but the second cagdeck put me off using them again. I am looking for a shorty cagdeck for my surf kayak and was thinking of going down the Peak Speedskin route, but I might try Reed again.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

moose

Post by moose »

Really comfy but a little fragile.
I watched a friend of mine being washed through a shrubery of thistles and brambles. whilst I should have concerned for his safety all I could think of was the damage being caused to his paddlesuit.

He was fine in the end but he leaked for years.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Very true, they are not really suitable for expeditions, but they are great in the right place
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”