What's everyone got against the Optio WP???^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Pingu

What's everyone got against the Optio WP???^

Post by Pingu » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:01 pm

What's everyone got against the Optio WP?

I bought one last year and have had some great shots with it. Obviously it comes with some severe limitations, only waterproof to a depth of 1.5m and no lens cover being the main ones. Pentax make no secret of these and I was well aware of them before buying one.

Just by taking some simple precautions, i.e. keeping it wrapped up in a cloth in a ziploc dry bag while not in use, I have used mine on Grade 4 rivers and it has been fine. I usually keep it in the chest pocket of my cag, which easily accessable, but further proteced by the bouancy aid.

So come on folks, it's only little... stop giving it a hard time!

Mike Marshall

Pentax Optio Wpi

Post by Mike Marshall » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Its not everyone, its just Douglas!!
He is however, highly revered in the realms of sea Kayak photography.

MikeM

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Anyone ever tried a Pentax 33WR or 43WR? I know they're no longer made, but the spec looks good - there's an optical viewfinder.

Theres a 43WR on eBay now, but from the States.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:25 am

Hello Robert, the Optio WR is a great wee camera.My brother has one and it has a number of features the WPi has lost. It has a quick start feature which switches on in 0.5 secs the wpi takes over 3 secs. It also has a quick snap mode which means the photo is taken 0.05 secs after the shutter is pressed. The Optio WPi takes about 0.6 secs in good light longer in difficult light(see below).

There is less lens distortion at the extreme ends of the zoom on the WR (the WPi is squeezed into a very slim case and the lens does not project and some optical perfomance has been sacrificed for this). Wth both cameras almost all on the water telephoto shots will come out blurred so use them on wideangle and get in close to the subject. The focus system on the wpi works very poorly in dim light and "against the light" shots where there are sparkles on the water or sunsets. I get round this by using one of its fixed focus modes.

The WPi is more water resistant than the WR. The WR is easier to hold and use with wet cold hands.

If you are looking for a secondhand camera the Sony U60 is easily the best and several people have posted really stunning action images from this camera.

The all weather Olympus mju cameras are worth a look. Some handle low light extremely well and have very effective autofocus systems.

Douglas

Goldspoon

Post by Goldspoon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:24 am

I showed my Sony U60 to Nigel Dennis and a guy who coaches for him. Both said they use the exact same camera.

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:53 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the best camera 'was the one you had to hand when you wanted to take the picture".

The Optio fits in my BA pocket, doesn't take up too much room and I've rediscovered the art of (bad) photography with it.

Strikes me that if you want great photo's look for a camera that comes with the optional Douglas Wilcox upgrade..

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Bertie.. wrote:Strikes me that if you want great photo's look for a camera that comes with the optional Douglas Wilcox upgrade..
I doubt you'd then fit it into your BA pocket, though - at least with the 'upgrade' installed!

Dave Thomas

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:50 pm

Being fair haired, and easily sunburnt, I couldn't cope with all that good weather he'd bring anyway!

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:58 pm

Thanks for this, folks. I'll look for a 33 or 43WR

Don't fancy the Sony, 'cos there's no optical viewfinder

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:33 pm

Whats the point of having a camera with a screen you can't actaully see in half decent light? Which is why I searched for and bought a second-hand 33WR rather than the latest Optio.

Stupid design if ever there was one. And my decision was based on having tried to use a friends one. Give me a proper, old fashioned viewfinder anyday.

Mike.