Kayak fishing trolley For use over shingle beaches

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
VKGscotty

Kayak fishing trolley For use over shingle beaches

Post by VKGscotty »

Good Morning All,

New to the forum 🖐.

I have been kayak Fishing for around 5 years now and have used various kayak trolleys and now I am getting disheartened with the dreaded pull up the beach after 6hrs at sea. I’m thinking of making my own trolley with larger wheels potently 14inch wheel barrow wheels or 20inch mag wheels from a BMX or a sled to make the pull easier. Does anyone have any solutions please?

Best regards,

Scott.

VKGscotty

Re: Kayak fishing trolley For use over shingle beaches

Post by VKGscotty »

The wheels are to small and will sink in the shingle, but thanks for the reply.

Pedro75

Post by Pedro75 »

Have you tried a c-tug with the sandtrakz wheels? I’ve got the standard c tug and it’s pretty good but still sinks in soft sand/shingle

https://railblaza.co.uk/collections/c-t ... akz-wheels

VKGscotty

Post by VKGscotty »

A few guys a fish with use them they still can’t pull their yaks up the beach. There’s nothing on the market. There must be a solution.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

I'm not sure bigger diameter wheels alone is the answer. Before you build a trolley with BMX bike wheels, you could test the concept by trying to ride a BMX bike on shingle. (It's been a while since I tried it, well, about 40 years - but if I remember right it doesn't work!)

Maybe you could achieve a bigger 'footprint' by adding more wheels instead. A design like the KCS trolley linked to above just has a plain straight tube as an axle, so just make it longer and instead of putting one wheel at each end have two, or three.

As you're not concerned about fitting kit into a hatch, you could go a bit bigger than your average trolley wheels - say something like this: https://www.towsure.com/maypole-pneumat ... pare-wheel

That takes a 20mm spindle - you can get aluminium tubing that size but for the purposes of building a prototype you could probably blag an offcut of galvanised steel conduit from an electrical contractor for the price of a pint.

This is the gist of the idea I'm getting at here..

VKGscotty

Post by VKGscotty »

This was another idea I have been thinking about but thanks for the break down 👍🏻 Maybe I just need a tractor 😂😂😂

Jim

Post by Jim »

Barrow wheels are 16", at least the ones used for kite buggies are.
I modified an Eckla canoe trolley to use kite buggy barrow wheels (with ball bearings instead of plain) by making some bushes to make them fit properly since the Eckla axles are undersized for plain bearings. The issue then was that I didn't make a shoulder to keep them from wandering up and down the axle meaning the tyres rubbed the frame a lot of the time.

In kite buggies we found that 16" wheels were OK on grass and firm sand but hopeless in soft sand so most of the time I raced with bigger wheels.

The hub from a 'barrow' wheel is 8" diameter and I think 2.5" wide, normally used with a 16"x4" - 8" tyre, which fits properly. You can fit a 21"x12 'bigfoot' tyre to the the barrow hub to make a 'bigfoot light' wheel which due to the way it gets pinched to fit ends up areound 22"x8" as far as I recall (I have a set in the garage but about 8 boats to move to get near them). Obviously the tyre on these overhangs the rim by a lot so you will need to design your axle and frame to suit. For a full bigfoot wheel we used either a symmetric cadkat hub (I think 8" x 8") or and asymmetric hub (I think 8" x 9" with the bearings flush to one side and recessed in the other, but the hubs alone on those are quite heavy. Also the flatter tyre profile has more rolling resistance.

For your application I would suggest if you want to go bigger than barrow wheels, bigfoot lights would be the best option, the tyre makes a really pleasing balloon shape so rolls easily over firm ground but spreads load well over softer ground.

Bearing bore on racing types is 20mm (6204 or 6004 bearings as I recall - I always used stainless since I was running on sand with salt spray), but freestyle/recreational buggies might use 12mm, or to really confuse things 15mm bearings.

For really firm, and especially firm wet beaches (like Pendine) disk wheels were favoured, usually bike wheels up to 26" diameter with 2.5" to 3.5" tyres on. People have used MTB (maybe BMX, or not) wheels but in kite buggy we put massive lateral loading on and spoked wheels don't cope well with that, the only spoked wheels that really worked were motorbike sidecar wheels but very rare to find. Most people ended up trawling scrappies for old motorbike wheels - my own disk wheels are AR50 wheels, fortunately I was able to buy them from a friend who upgraded rather than searching for myself (I had tried a couple of times). We usually made up adaptors to run sealed cartridge bearings in the motorbike wheels. You could more reasonably use push bike wheels on a trolley, but you probably want to pick ones on hubs with cartridge bearings rather than cup and cone to simplify your axle design. I think bike wheels will sink too much in shingle, you could try riding a bike on it first?

https://powerkiteshop.com/buggies/buggy ... ggy-wheels

VKGscotty

Post by VKGscotty »

Wicked thank you! I’m probably going to end up with a 20mm1m length of stainless steel rod with 2x 14inch barrow wheels on each side I think it’s going to be a trial and error Kind of task.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L »

The KY-EX trolley wheels might be good but the design is why I did the T-bar trolley. What the kayak or canoe sits on with the KY-EX trolley is too short, will want to topple over when dragged and if not, a lot of strain on the vessel to keep it upright.

The C-TUG is a little better as the fore and aft support is longer.

The key to low drag is wide, reasonably big diameter wheels. The less they sink into the surface, the less drag. I have pulled a loaded double across a soft sand beach with my trolley. Wider footprint wheels would have made it easier.

The first trolley I made was from scrap aluminium tubing out of the scrap bin. The rest we have are made from plastic water pipe, 2 around here with wheels, 3 or 4 awaiting wheels and owners.
https://canterburyseakayak.wordpress.com/t-bar-trolley/

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 »

Lomo do a trolley for sit on tops with solid, wide, flat wheels. Out of stock at the moment but: https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Kayak-t ... tml#SID=69
They would probably sell you a set of extra wheels. Or try for a pair of wheel barrow wheels like these: https://www.diy.com/departments/walsall ... 605_BQ.prd