Summer white water in UK??

Inland paddling
Benny_V

Summer white water in UK??

Post by Benny_V »

Some advice needed!! I’m looking, as I’m sure others will be for some summer rivers to paddle (once camping is allowed I’m off on the hunt). Obviously this is weather dependent (need some rain) But wanted to know if there are any reliable rivers that always have something in terms of rapids. I think I’ve heard the Dee is a good bet but would be nice to have a list going.

Chas C

Re: Summer white water in UK??

Post by Chas C »

Benny_V wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:34 am
Some advice needed!! I’m looking, as I’m sure others will be for some summer rivers to paddle (once camping is allowed I’m off on the hunt). Obviously this is weather dependent (need some rain) But wanted to know if there are any reliable rivers that always have something in terms of rapids. I think I’ve heard the Dee is a good bet but would be nice to have a list going.
Would help if you could advise what grade your looking for.

UK summer white water rivers are pretty much the same as winter rivers but you need a huge downpour and unlike winter they drop off super quick (24hrs or much less). So unless your local to the area and available its unlikely you'll find any water. Paddling empty ww rivers is not environmentally friendly.

Benny_V

Post by Benny_V »

Well. I've got a friend I'm helping get into white water. So grade 2 for him

But would also like to know, for myself and others. Anything up to grade 4

Appreciate rain is needed. Just wondering if there are any that are more reliable?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Loads of the bigger volume rivers will still be passable most of the summer but nothing like as good as they are with decent water levels. A lot will depend where you are, how far you want to go and whether possible destinations are open to visitors again. Then you have the option of dam release rivers and artificial WW courses.
Kind of depends whether you want to do full runs of sections, or just find small sites/rapids to go for a session, there are loads of the latter, normally there would be slaloms on many of them right through the summer, but finding places to do a normal 2-3 hour trip is much harder, unless you get lucky with rain. I've had some of my best high water days in glen etive and glencoe in late summer due to local heavy rain, but there is no way you would go and camp up there on the offchance it might rain, normally you would expect to be able to walk up the middle of those rivers at that time of year...

Bod Bagby

Post by Bod Bagby »

We just used to go to the Tryweryn for a week. Then if it rains you are close enough to excellent white-water or if we got bored, we would hop over to the Llyn Peninsula for a few days and go surfing at Porth Neigwl. Take bikes and every possible weather condition is covered. The Dart was up yesterday morning, but gone today which illustrates the problem.

frazerp

Post by frazerp »

You could go to the Bitches on a big tide, that makes a great summer adventure. ...but not for a grade 2 paddler.

Rae1

Post by Rae1 »

From personal experience, these run all year round at low levels. I don't know any grade 4 without lots of rain:
The Dee, Horseshoe Falls to Llangollen town falls. The section below there to Trevor is OK for a beginner, but can be a bit scrapy at low levels.
The Derwent, around Matlock.
The Banwy in Mid wales, and the Severn from Newtown are both easy grade 2 runs in low water.
The Tay, Campsie to Stanley.
There are a number of other rivers in Scotland that run at low levels.

Dam releases:
The Tryweryn, is good grade 3 (grade 3 +) from the top to the centre/cafe, with a great grade 2 (a difficult 2 I think) run on the lower section to Bala from the white water centre.
The Washburn, when it opens, which is getting less and less.

Then you've got the artificial courses.

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

There are always the dam release rivers in Scotland.

https://www.canoescotland.org/go-paddli ... #gsc.tab=0

Peter

Benny_V

Post by Benny_V »

Cheers guys. Plenty to go on there.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

But you'll have to wait for the 5 mile driving restrictions to be relaxed in Scotland (& Wales)
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Jim

Post by Jim »

jmmoxon wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:26 am
But you'll have to wait for the 5 mile driving restrictions to be relaxed in Scotland (& Wales)
In Scotland that will be when we move to phase 3 (still rolling out phase 2), at which point there will be some, as yet unspecified, relaxation of restrictions for accommodation providers.

So until then, not only do Scottish government not want visitors, but there is nowhere for them to stay if they do come.

Initially it looked like we might simply follow England about 2 weeks after, but Scottish government (and Welsh) are doing things slightly differently as well as slightly later, so important to remember that the rules/guidelines are going to be different even when Scotland (and Wales) do re-open.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”