Boris says...

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
rockhopper

Boris says...

Post by rockhopper »

I believe....

Boris says I can go kayaking....

Rog.

Mini2

Re: Boris says...

Post by Mini2 »

rockhopper wrote:I believe....

Rog.
Sadly not in Wales .
And us in Wales can't travel to England ImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

jskayak

Post by jskayak »

rockhopper wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:33 pm
I believe....

Rog.
Boris may have done (although it's difficult to tell from the government communications) but has anything really changed from last week ?

Surely by Kayaking we are risking involvement from RNLI, Coastguard etc if we get into trouble and that will be difficult for them to handle in a safe manner for themselves.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

Interesting...I hoped my post would generate discussion.

It would appear that in principal it is now possible to kayak in England only but a fair point about involvement of the rescue services...
Would swimming in the sea be viewed in the same way?

Rog.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

English Canoeing have just issued a statement. Briefly, don't do anything 'till Wednesday then wait and see.
No mention of sea kayaking.

Ends with
This announcement relates only to the position in England and to English members of British Canoeing, as decisions and guidance in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are subject to the devolved administrations within the Home Nations and the respective governing bodies.
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news ... eNDcofTEGc

Also stern warnings from both Welsh and Scottish governments that the restrictions in their respective jurasdictions apply to everyone, including anyone thinking of travelling across the border from England with the intention of paddling (or taking any other form of recreation)
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Discovery Kayaker

Post by Discovery Kayaker »

Also there is likely to be a difference between paddling alone, with friends and commercially offering trips. Each will have there own set of risks and responsibility/liability. Hold on a little longer then we can all go back to paddling'

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Canal and Rivers Trust say we can paddle on their waters in England (locally, for exercise, not long distance) from Wednesday 13th, and I plan to do that. I won't be going on the sea or whitewater rivers at this stage.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

I’m sticking to my local estuaries which are small and relatively benign. Was going to sneak a paddle early last Saturday but overslept...
Growing old disgracefully

simon64

Post by simon64 »

Totally disgusted that people living in different parts of the Uk now have different freedoms, so much for the so called United Kingdom.
P&H Virgo

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

simon64 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 pm
Totally disgusted that people living in different parts of the Uk now have different freedoms, so much for the so called United Kingdom.
I agree.
Sad that one part of the 4 nations has decided to ignore all the advice, put lining their own pockets first and make "get the economy moving again" their priority, regardless of the cost in lives.
Fortunately the leaders of the other 3 nations have a bit more care for the people who live there, vote for them and ultimately, pay their wages.

Please say safe. I'm not even going to ask what "stay alert" is supposed to mean.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

Sars-CoV-2 often likes to attack at dawn so maintain a careful watch during nautical twilight.

andycon

Post by andycon »

Since I cannot drive to Anglesey, it will need to be trip up the river Dee as long as I don't venture across the border .

Sent from my CPN-W09 using Tapatalk

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L »

In New Zealand we went to Level 3 two weeks ago. It changed from Level 4 at 11.59 p.m. on a Monday. At 11.59 p.m. one of our lot was on the water for a short paddle... yes, in the dark. I've seen his track from his GPS.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

andycon wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:46 pm
Since I cannot drive to Anglesey, it will need to be trip up the river Dee as long as I don't venture across the border Image.

Sent from my CPN-W09 using Tapatalk
The stretch of the Dee upstream of the weir in Chester city centre as far as Aldford (GR408585) is definitely in England. So as a rough rule of thumb, from Wednesday we can paddle the Dee between the weir and the 'Blue Bridge' (locals will know that landmark). Beyond Aldford the river actually becomes the border between England and Wales to a point just below Holt (GR423495), where it meanders back into Wales.
I guess the problem we are going to have is social distancing in the (packed) car parks and the fun vigilantes who will no doubt be out in force telling us all to 'go home'.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

For the first time ever, I am glad that we have a Devolved Parliament here in Wales.

O2b

Post by O2b »

and finally.....While we await further government guidance, we are content for harbour users to take exercise on the water in kayaks, paddleboards and the like, and that the owners of vessels on moorings can access them to confirm their safety.

To get in touch with our patrol team call CHICHESTER HARBOUR PATROL on VHF Channel 14, or telephone the Harbour Office on 01243 512301. In an emergency please call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.

Happy, safe paddling to all

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

Y'all probably know this already but social distancing is still very important.

Restrictions in England are being relaxed too soon and so we're now committed to another spike before this first wave is over. The virus is still widespread. It is still extremely infectious.

I've always thought there are safe ways to access the great outdoors ie practice social distancing carefully at your destination, avoid local shops and villages, avoid touching shared public surfaces, etc. I think it's going to be a while before it's safe to drop these restrictions.

With around 50,000 dead to date, we'll probably end up with >100,000 dead in the first wave. There will be several others every bit as bad unless the govt gets its act together. On current performance, that seems unlikely. So it's up to us to do what we can to protect ourselves and to protect others.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The problem, however, remains that IF you require the services of the emergency services, you put a huge number of people potentially at risk. Now, feel free to make that decision.

You will, of course, do so KNOWING that you are Covid clear, and are able to prove this. While hoping that all the varied people you might interact with are also Covid clear.

Enjoy. Thankfully, Scotland has got a FM who actually takes some responsibility, and offers credible and science based decision making. And no, that's NOT a "political statement". It's fact.

Nothing like a good funeral to remind us of how special the friend / family member we've lost actually was. I trust they'll be few - and of course, we may not be able to be there. Again, "Be Aware" has many meanings.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler »

I for one am glad I live in a part of the country where we are being treated like adults and being allowed to make our own decisions based on the published guidelines.

Canoe England have published guidelines, which include sensible advice to stay local, take extra care and only experienced paddlers should go paddling.
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news ... in-england

I'm unlikely to get on the water this weekend as avoiding crowds at my local beach has been difficult even before the travel restrictions were relaxed.

We all have a responsibility here, read the guidelines, if in doubt don't go paddling.
Mark Gawler

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I'm going to drive 5 miles to a canal, and do my exercise in a canoe. I expect to be further away from other people than if I walk from from home. If the car park is crowded I'll go home.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Mark Gawler wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:51 am
I for one am glad I live in a part of the country where we are being treated like adults and being allowed to make our own decisions based on the published guidelines.

Canoe England have published guidelines, which include sensible advice to stay local, take extra care and only experienced paddlers should go paddling.

I'm unlikely to get on the water this weekend as avoiding crowds at my local beach has been difficult even before the travel restrictions were relaxed.

We all have a responsibility here, read the guidelines, if in doubt don't go paddling.
Me too. Well said Mark, absolutely spot on.
We can't venture into Wales or Scotland so sea kayaking is on hold until they want our money. I will stick to the local river for now. This weekend is likely to be absolute chaos so I will probably just mow the lawn (again).

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Mark Gawler wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:51 am

Sadly all of that relies on people displaying some kind of intelligence and common sense. I'm sure all the members of this forum are very aware of the possible risks and how to minimise them and they all know whether they would be regarded as "experienced" or not - but what about the person who sees you out paddling and decides it must be ok for them to go out too, but who doesn't have the experience or knowledge needed to do so safely?
I know that that's true at any time - but things are just a bit more "in the public eye" just now.

We'll face the same sort of dillema in Scotalnd, Ireland and Wales when we are finally able to get back on the water again. Here's hoping we can all do it quietly and safely and not upset anyone while we are doing it.

simon64

Post by simon64 »

Its very likely that this weekend we will see a mass of people overwhelming the countryside and making a return to full lockdown likely.
The actions of the masses crowding Penfan on one day in march now means the entire Brecon beacons footpath network is closed, even for local people who can walk to the park them from their homes, huge open spaces where social distancing would be easy (but its fine to go into a crowded BM bargains store to buy plant pots and wallpaper etc)
P&H Virgo

Hamish

Post by Hamish »

So in Wales we it seems as though we can go for a paddle in certain circumstances:

https://www.canoewales.com/covid-19-gui ... or-members

I don't think the regulations ever made it specifically illegal to paddle but it was something that wasn't considered reasonable as it was against the guidance.

Anyway... This looks like progress!

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Just back from an evening paddle on the Fal estuary. This was a twenty-five mile round trip because I’m avoiding the sea at present despite only living a 100 metres from it. Just three miles down the coast from me a guy was rescued earlier in the day. The sea was flattish but with a strong offshore wind. Once out of the protection of the cliffs the white horses really got going...

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ed-4134693
Growing old disgracefully

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk »

And he drove from Leicestershire to go for a paddle off the Lizard, tosser! I imagine it’s going to be like a bank holiday weekend down here, full to the brim with eeejuts

Pedro75

Post by Pedro75 »

Quick paddle at porthpean yesterday in our little boats. Thought we’d get on the water at tea time so it was a bit quieter. Fantastic to get on the water again.

onlysme69

Post by onlysme69 »

jskayak wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:19 pm
rockhopper wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:33 pm
I believe....

Rog.
Boris may have done (although it's difficult to tell from the government communications) but has anything really changed from last week ?

Surely by Kayaking we are risking involvement from RNLI, Coastguard etc if we get into trouble and that will be difficult for them to handle in a safe manner for themselves.
cycling,running walking living your life in general are risking the nhs staff :(
kayaking is safer than cycling