Can anyone identify these kayaks?

Inland paddling
RiverRun

Can anyone identify these kayaks?

Post by RiverRun »

Hello All,

I have a Klepper style folding sea kayak, a Wayland Amazon Expedition and I try to get out a few times a year around the west coast of Scotland for multiday trips.

I recently came into possession of a couple of river kayaks, I think slalom style. One is a Gaybo, and the other I have no idea.

Would anyone be able to identify the specific models? ...and do you think there would be value in repairing them (they're not in awful condition, or holed but could do with a good clean and some TLC)?

All thoughts appreciated :)

Thanks,
RiverR

Chris Bolton

Re: Can anyone identify these kayaks?

Post by Chris Bolton »

Definitely slalom kayaks from, I would say, 1970s. The red one is a Gaybo Perfekt first produced in 1975.The Perfekt was (in)famous for its very narrow ends. Slalom boats, at that time, had to be at least 4m long, but that made them harder to turn, so the Perfekt (a German or spoof-German name) was effectively a shorter kayak with spikes on the ends to make up the length. These were considered dangerous and the rules were changed to try to reduce the sharpness of the points, and (much later) to allow 3.5m boats. You might find this thread on the history of slalom kayaks interesting; I'll leave you to see if you can identify the other boat - I think I can spot the Gaybo label in that one, in which case it might be slightly earlier than the Perfekt.

Jim

Post by Jim »

They will be lighter and faster than your Klepper, but probably not very strong - I wouldn't recommend using them on the sea unless you have a reliable good forecast. They would be good(ish) for some flat water touring, small lochs and canals. They were meant to turn easily so will not be as easy to drive straight as the Klepper, but much easier than modern river running and slalom boats. In terms of value, there are a few people who collect old boats like this for posterity - I have no idea if those ones are desirable - but generally speaking they have little to no monetary value. But if you think you might make use of them, they might be worth cleaning up. A bit of fibreglass polish will work wonders.

Steve Agar

Post by Steve Agar »

If you post this on facebook "UK Canoe Slalom Results"you might even find out previous owners.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

The red one is easy it has Perfekt written on it. The yellow one I think is an Olymp 4.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”