First time boat buying, sizing help?

Inland paddling
Nikkih90

First time boat buying, sizing help?

Post by Nikkih90 »

Hi, both myself and my partner have paddled a little bit before, I am looking at getting a couple of kayaks for his birthday, but just trying to figure out sizing. First off is this just a bad idea and does he need to sit in the boat before I get it, or can it be a surprise?

The boats are pyranha inazone 222 and 220.
He is about 5'8-5'9 and 75kg
I'm 5'7 and about 65kg

Boats are going for £400 for both with paddles and splash decks.

Lastly will these work well for trips on the Thames around the Richmond area?

I really wanted to get a tandem but that seems to be more expensive and less available second hand.

twopigs

Re: First time boat buying, sizing help?

Post by twopigs »

I hesitate to offer an opinion but here goes .......

I think 65 kg will be okay for either, but 75 kg might be getting a bit heavy ...... I really think you both need to sit in them before parting with cash ......

Trips on the Thames around Richmond? I'd be tempted to look at longer boats ...... in general the longer the boat the faster it goes - and if you are going against the flow that becomes important!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Nikkih90

Post by Nikkih90 »

Thanks for the info! I think longer might be the answer here, and maybe a card saying "your getting a kayak!" Haha and a little wait for the right tandem one to come up.
Although wide and flat the flow here can be very strong and I was having visions of paddling and not going anywhere...or going backwards!

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

As you've probably already sussed, the kayaks you mention are designed for white water, where the critical thing is to be able to turn really fast. On flat wter they will be painfully slow and frustratingly difficult to keep on a straight line.

Franky

Post by Franky »

What Robert C says is true, but I'd add that having a twitchier boat will improve your forward paddling technique!

If you're thinking of paddling upstream on a river with a significant flow, though, a touring kayak (something like the P&H Scorpio) would be better. Unfortunately, touring boats are a lot more expensive than white water boats.

If you're prepared to restrict yourself to paddling downstream (and getting your head round the logistics of car shuttles), or on canals, a simple river runner (= entry-level white water boat) is OK though. Most of our club members learn to paddle on flat water in river runners.

You might also consider the Dagger GT - a cheap entry-level boat that is generally considered an excellent all-rounder. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49554

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

Franky
Up to a point, yes .... but a Dagger GT is still a white-water boat, not an all-rounder. Depennds on whther the OP's aim is to have fun or to learn-through-suffering. Something with a skeg would be good - an Easky would be ideal.

SPL

Post by SPL »

Its been said many times before but i think you would both benefit from joining a club and getting more experience of different types of boats and styles of paddling before making purchases.
Good luck

Nikkih90

Post by Nikkih90 »

Thanks for all the input everyone! Yes looking at joining the local club when it reopens, we aren't super beginners, but not to say hugely experienced I never managed a full roll all the way round under water- just managed to get very wet and swim! So yes we would like to get better, but also looking for something the just opens up our access at the moment to give it a go in our local area.

Any thoughts on the cheap https://cambridgekayaks.co.uk/collectio ... 4mt-13ft-1

Is it as naff as it seems?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Seems awful short for a double, although it is both longer and wider than a topo-duo. Horrendously heavy though, you could get a 16' canoe weighing less, possibly less width too. I think the stern paddler may find it hard getting the paddle in the water at that width...

Something like Pyranha Master TG would probably be a good size of boat for where you want to paddle, new they are as much each as that double, but they are popular with outdoor centres so you may be able to find a decent second hand deal when they update their fleets (1-3 years for most), or maybe not in the current situation. I really hope all centres are going to make it through the current restrictions, I know a lot of people who work in centres or as freelance coaches and I know this is really hard for them.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”