How would you fix this paddle blade?

Inland paddling
Joseph:)

How would you fix this paddle blade?

Post by Joseph:) »

I'm after some suggestions for fixing this paddle, my plan at the moment is to clean the inside of the crack as much as possible, removing any loose bits of glass, then fill the crack with epoxy thickened with chopped up bits of glass mat.

I'll see how strong it seems once that is done and maybe epoxy a glass patch over the top of it all after.

Interested in any other suggestions or methods people would use!

PlymouthDamo

Re: How would you fix this paddle blade?

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Just glueing it back together with thickened epoxy won't give it much strength at all - no matter what you've used to thicken it.. You'd be better off getting some 50mm wide fibreglass tape (from eBay) and running it all the way up the central spine of the blade (on both sides) using epoxy resin. It won't be as neat, but fibreglass goes clear in epoxy so it won't look terrible. You can sand it smooth and paint more epoxy on to improve the appearance further. One layer of tape each side should give you enough strength, but I've never done this specific repair so don't quote me on that.

BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

Yep as Damo says. Several layers of fibre glass cloth over the whole spine of the blade (both sides if the crack goes through) and some epoxy resin. A good tip is to put the blade in one of those clear plastic folder sheets, then put a plastic bag of sand on top. It’ll give a relatively smooth finish to the epoxy.

But I would not trust the blade on difficult water. It will eventually fail no matter how good the repair.

Joseph:)

Post by Joseph:) »

Thanks for your advice, I'll give it a go and see what happens. I would rather replace the whole blade but with VE not making paddles any more I think I'll be lucky to find a right blade to use!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”