Anyone tried a pyranha ozone yet?

Inland paddling
SHGB

Anyone tried a pyranha ozone yet?

Post by SHGB »

So, has anyone who’s not a rep bought or tried out a Pyranha ozone yet? How was it? Any comparison to other Pyranha playboats such as the Loki, Jed etc? Is it all hype or is the ozone something special, do tell!

countvoncount

Re: Anyone tried a pyranha ozone yet?

Post by countvoncount »

I took a very quick spin in one. I expected something like the Varun but, to me, it's less of a river runner than a "long" Jed. Seating position is very high-kneed--which some people will love and some will hate. The boat surfs great and carves aggressively on hard edges. But I personally did not love the overall feel when not on a wave. Maybe I needed more time in it, or maybe it just does not suit my style/preferences. You should demo it yourself.

Strad

Post by Strad »

Must admit I'd be more excited to get in a Dagger Rewind, but I've always tended to Dagger boats for no real reason that I can give.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain »

The Ozone is much more like an updated Prozone (the name kinda gives it away) in my opinion. I won't say how good either of them are due to my Pyranha links but the Ozone is a lot less punishing to sit in for sure. It seems to being recieved well so far!
I guess equivalent boats would be the Liquidlogic Homeslice and Jackson Mixmaster. From the Hammer Factor(www.hammerfactor.com) reviews from Annoymous Boat Review Guy, the Liquidlogic offering seemed like the best of the bunch before the Ozone came out.

The Dagger Rewind is really more of a Pyranha Ripper equivalent, so a bit off topic.

Strad

Post by Strad »

Mark Mulrain wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:06 pm

The Dagger Rewind is really more of a Pyranha Ripper equivalent, so a bit off topic.
Not really, this is just the new swathe of boats trying to be the next generation of awesome river runners.

Which quote is for which?
The ultimate downriver play boat for paddlers of all abilities, the xxx over-delivers on what boaters want and need from a modern whitewater kayak – piercing river running capabilities complemented by an exciting play-ability that allows you to add new tricks to your arsenal.
ets you open up every feature on your favourite runs. Drop the tail on eddy lines and in between rapids, run your favourite lines, surf your favourite waves and catch new ones you missed before.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Latest boat advert:

River runner
Play machine
Surfs like a dream
Auto boof
Aggressive
Forgiving
Novice
Intermediate,
Expert
Fat boy
Skinny

All things to all men to maximise the market

Mat @ Pyranha

Post by Mat @ Pyranha »

Strad wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Which quote is for which?
Of course, if you pull select parts of boat descriptions, you're going to be able to argue that chalk is cheese... kayaking has a broad range of disciplines and styles, and kayak design has a heck of a lot of subtle nuances. The English language doesn't really have the depth to cope with that, heck, most of the general public still refer to kayaks as canoes!

Different people will get different things out of different boats... go demo a bunch of different things, learn how to use the different features of each (that might mean you need to paddle with someone better at a certain discipline, or invest in some bespoke coaching), and then you'll start appreciating those subtle differences, whether it's between boats for different disciplines, different types of boat within a discipline, or different generations of design types.

I'll also say that neither of the quotes you pulled is anything I've written about the Ozone...
Current Boats: Ripper L, 9R II L

SHGB

Post by SHGB »

Thanks for the responses, I’ve got a ripper, it is fun, but think the ozone looks great for grade 2 club runs and standing waves. The Loki was too tight for me, I like the 4 fun but hey I’m a sucker for marketing and the price just got dropped by 10%, so a large ozone on order, as I’m a big lad.

KaitsuH

Post by KaitsuH »

Jou!

Got my new Ozone large home today. Big and comfy! I am 191 cm (6´3^English?), feet 11,5 Astral Hiyaks, and I can very comfortably sit in with my Hiyaks, and I had to even raise the seat a little bit! So, totally a big and comfortable boat to sit in. Tomorrow a test paddling from our own place, next week to the better waves

The most comfortable playboat since Pyranha Razor on 1998!

SHGB

Post by SHGB »

KaitsuH wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:12 pm
Jou!

Got my new Ozone large home today. Big and comfy! I am 191 cm (6´3^English?), feet 11,5 Astral Hiyaks, and I can very comfortably sit in with my Hiyaks, and I had to even raise the seat a little bit! So, totally a big and comfortable boat to sit in. Tomorrow a test paddling from our own place, next week to the better waves

Do give an update on how the large ozone is working out on the water. Not getting out at all here in UK (nothing I can walk to from my house)

KaitsuH

Post by KaitsuH »

SHGB wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:33 am
KaitsuH wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:12 pm
Jou!

Do give an update on how the large ozone is working out on the water. Not getting out at all here in UK (nothing I can walk to from my house)
Hi!

I have tried it now a couple of times. Needs a lot more paddling to get used to it... It is comfy and fast. And, it is a long freestyle kayak, not a river runner, at least not for me. I would definitely not run any harder rivers with it than with f.ex. Jed. Those edges are sharp and low, and the tail is long. So far I am very happy with it, and I am going to paddle rivers up to class 3, but it is not a boat for total beginners!

We are allowed to paddle our nearby rivers, but the weather and water are still too cold to start flipping all too much.

P.S. These new Pyranha thigh braces are brilliant! Now the comfortness is like in Dagger kayaks, and Dagger has been so far totally years ahead of other brands, at least for tall paddlers.

SHGB

Post by SHGB »

Brilliant. I’m waiting for my large ozone, but no deliveries til end of lockdown I guess. The large loki was difficult for me to keep under control on class 3, hopefully this will behave a bit better.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”